OSS and 'crackling sound' - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OSS and 'crackling sound' - Ubuntu ; Hey, I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since September and everything has worked perfectly! I had to use OSS(Open Sound System) for my audio needs because I have a Creative X-Fi soundcard. Using ALSA would not work! Today, I upgraded ...

  1. OSS and 'crackling sound'

    Hey,

    I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since September and everything has worked
    perfectly! I had to use OSS(Open Sound System) for my audio needs because
    I have a Creative X-Fi soundcard. Using ALSA would not work!

    Today, I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and I DO have sound. When I play music
    through Rhythm Music player, or when I watch a youtube video everything
    works perfectly. However, when I watch an .AVI or another type of video
    file, I get a constant 'crackling sound.' This happens in VLC and in the
    movie player. I know it's not my sound card because when I play music,
    the sound is perfect. It's also NOT the videos Im trying to watch,
    because I can watch them on my xbox 360(Streamed from my PC using ushare)
    without a problem.

    What can I do to fix this? Should I enable/disable something? Do I have
    to download anything?

    Please help!

    -Nathan

  2. Re: OSS and 'crackling sound'

    Nathan wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since September and everything has worked
    > perfectly! I had to use OSS(Open Sound System) for my audio needs because
    > I have a Creative X-Fi soundcard. Using ALSA would not work!
    >
    > Today, I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and I DO have sound. When I play music
    > through Rhythm Music player, or when I watch a youtube video everything
    > works perfectly. However, when I watch an .AVI or another type of video
    > file, I get a constant 'crackling sound.' This happens in VLC and in the
    > movie player. I know it's not my sound card because when I play music,
    > the sound is perfect. It's also NOT the videos Im trying to watch,
    > because I can watch them on my xbox 360(Streamed from my PC using ushare)
    > without a problem.
    >
    > What can I do to fix this? Should I enable/disable something? Do I have
    > to download anything?

    This may give you something to try (go to bottom of the page):

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=402321&page=5

    A quick google using "oss and crackling and solved" as the search terms
    returns a fair number of hits, so it might be a good idea to see if
    anything of use turns up in them.

  3. Re: OSS and 'crackling sound'

    Nathan wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 since September and everything has worked
    > perfectly! I had to use OSS(Open Sound System) for my audio needs because
    > I have a Creative X-Fi soundcard. Using ALSA would not work!
    >
    > Today, I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and I DO have sound. When I play music
    > through Rhythm Music player, or when I watch a youtube video everything
    > works perfectly. However, when I watch an .AVI or another type of video
    > file, I get a constant 'crackling sound.' This happens in VLC and in the
    > movie player. I know it's not my sound card because when I play music,
    > the sound is perfect. It's also NOT the videos Im trying to watch,
    > because I can watch them on my xbox 360(Streamed from my PC using ushare)
    > without a problem.
    >
    > What can I do to fix this? Should I enable/disable something? Do I have
    > to download anything?
    >
    > Please help!
    >
    > -Nathan

    You could try to play a bit with the soundmixer. Try
    lowering the PCM output and increasing the master output.
    Try to lower the low frequency (bass) settings also. You see
    - it sometimes is possible to get the sound clipping if the
    (interal) PCM output gives a to high input to the (also
    internal) end stage amplifier. I have a Soundblaster Live!
    card and when I get a disorted and crackling sound I know
    the above is the answer. Until now I have not yet "played"
    with the X-Fi, so I cannot guarantee this is the anwer. Just
    play a bit and maybe this is the answer for you too.

    And also take a look at propman's answer...

    John.

  4. Re: OSS and 'crackling sound'

    Nathan wrote:

    > What can I do to fix this? Should I enable/disable something? Do I have
    > to download anything?

    Try moving back to Alsa, Pulseaudio or whatever. Worked for me.

+ Reply to Thread