Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4) - Ubuntu ; I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated. But, I will avoid using 8.10. The new KDE is just not acceptable. I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe KDE 4 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.

    But, I will avoid using 8.10.

    The new KDE is just not acceptable.

    I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    Enlightenment, instead.

    But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

  2. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, Joe User wrote:

    > I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >
    > But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >
    > The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >
    > I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    > KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    > Enlightenment, instead.
    >
    > But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    I find it very usable. Though I had to make a lot of configuration
    changes to make it like I like it. But then you would know that KDE is
    configurable.

    --
    To reply by email, use: vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  3. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, Joe User wrote:

    > I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >
    > But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >
    > The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >
    > I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    > KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    > Enlightenment, instead.
    >
    > But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    I used kubuntu for some time. Finally came to the conclusion that Ubuntu
    would be more solid and trouble free. The last couple of cycles when I was
    still 'into' kubuntu I found that it actually worked better to install
    Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop.

  4. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    ray schreef:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, Joe User wrote:
    >
    >> I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >>
    >> But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >>
    >> The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >>
    >> I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    >> KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    >> Enlightenment, instead.
    >>
    >> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    > I used kubuntu for some time. Finally came to the conclusion that Ubuntu
    > would be more solid and trouble free. The last couple of cycles when I was
    > still 'into' kubuntu I found that it actually worked better to install
    > Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop.

    I was thinking in that direction, is KDE3.5.x in the 8.10 repositories?

  5. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:10:16 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > ray schreef:
    >> I used kubuntu for some time. Finally came to the conclusion that Ubuntu
    >> would be more solid and trouble free. The last couple of cycles when I
    >> was still 'into' kubuntu I found that it actually worked better to
    >> install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop.

    > I was thinking in that direction, is KDE3.5.x in the 8.10 repositories?

    I couldn't find any way to install 3.5 on the Kubuntu 8.10 installation.

    --
    Always the dullness of the fool is the whetstone
    of the wits.

    -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

  6. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Joe User wrote:
    > I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >
    > But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >
    > The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >
    > I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    > KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    > Enlightenment, instead.
    >
    > But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    Damn and dagnation....guess ya won't a-be reading this reply then.

    (Written from inside little ole Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 and Kubuntu v8.10,
    which is running inside a VirtualBox v2.0.4 session)

  7. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:21:57 -0500, Joe User wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:10:16 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>
    >> I was thinking in that direction, is KDE3.5.x in the 8.10 repositories?

    > I couldn't find any way to install 3.5 on the Kubuntu 8.10 installation.

    You might find this thread of interest.

    As for myself, I'm just a bit too cautious to allow my OS to download from
    unofficial repositories.

    By the way (referencing your User-Agent header) are you really using
    Mandrake 9.1?

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  8. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Joe User wrote:
    > I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >
    > But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >
    > The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >
    > I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    > KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    > Enlightenment, instead.
    >
    > But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    I am afraid I have to agree, but not because KDE 4.1 is not
    usable. KDE 4.0 was not usable, but KDE 4.1 really is.

    No - the way KDE 4.1 is implemented in Kubuntu is just plain
    crappy. It is becoming clearer and clearer Kubuntu is just
    the ugly stephchild of Ubuntu. It just feels like it is
    developped as an aftertoght to keep those pesky KDE lovers
    kind of happy. Let's face it - the makers of Ubuntu are
    Gnome lovers with no passion at all for KDE. I think they
    rather would get rid of it all together if they could do so
    without their users complaining.

    If you take a look how KDE 4.1.2 is implemented in distro's
    like Mandriva 2009 or OpenSUSE etc. you see a very usable
    and polished KDE4 version. Yes - it takes some time to get
    used to it, but after a while it becomes a second nature.
    And it is growing better all the time. Within a few months
    KDE 4.2 is ready, and functionallity will get another huge
    increase.

    It is really a shame Kubuntu is so buggy and bad
    implemented. It will give the people the impresion KDE 4.1
    is crappy, but in reality it is the implementation in
    Kubuntu that's crappy. I think the designers of Kubuntu are
    really doing ther best, but just get lousy support from
    Canonical. At this moment I really cannot advise KDE4 users
    to use Kubuntu because there are to much bad implementated
    parts in it.

    No - it's not KDE4 that's crappy here. It is the bad support
    the Kubuntu designers get from Canonical that's (in my
    opinion) the culprit. If Canonical just put the same
    manpower and effort in Kubuntu as they did in Ubuntu you
    would see a really shiney KDE implentation of Ubuntu. I know
    this is possible, because if I just take look at other
    distro's I can see KDE4 shine.

    Don't get me wrong - I love the Ubuntu Gnome version, but
    after using Mandriva 2009 for a while Kubuntu really gives
    you the feeling it is far behind and have a lot of work to
    do to just to catch up. And that's a shame...

    John.

  9. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:21:57 -0500, Joe User wrote:
    >

    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:10:16 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was thinking in that direction, is KDE3.5.x in the 8.10 repositories?
    >>>

    >> I couldn't find any way to install 3.5 on the Kubuntu 8.10 installation.
    >>

    > You might find this thread of interest.

    > As for myself, I'm just a bit too cautious to allow my OS to download from
    > unofficial repositories.
    >
    > By the way (referencing your User-Agent header) are you really using
    > Mandrake 9.1?

    I have Mandrake 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1 loaded on a couple of old clunkers
    in the basement.

    The Mandrake 8.0 commercial package was my first full-blown distro.
    Before that it was tomsrtbt and the LRP, both "Linux on a floppy."

    --
    John

  10. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:59:12 -0400, Tony Sivori wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:21:57 -0500, Joe User wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:10:16 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I was thinking in that direction, is KDE3.5.x in the 8.10 repositories?

    >> I couldn't find any way to install 3.5 on the Kubuntu 8.10 installation.

    > You might find this thread of interest.

    > As for myself, I'm just a bit too cautious to allow my OS to download from
    > unofficial repositories.
    >
    > By the way (referencing your User-Agent header) are you really using
    > Mandrake 9.1?

    No.

    Mandrake 9.1 was the first distribution that I used this version of Pan
    with. Since then, I've just copied my Pan files in my home directory. I
    just never updated the User-Agent in Pan.

  11. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 18:36:58 -0700, propman wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >> I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >>
    >> But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >>
    >> The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >>
    >> I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    >> KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    >> Enlightenment, instead.
    >>
    >> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.
    >>

    > Damn and dagnation....guess ya won't a-be reading this reply then.
    >
    > (Written from inside little ole Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 and Kubuntu v8.10,
    > which is running inside a VirtualBox v2.0.4 session)

    I didn't say I would shun people who use Kubuntu 8.10. I just announced,
    in the spirit of community in the newsgroup, that I wouldn't use it.

    Right now, I am using Kubuntu 8.04. I just enabled the backports
    repository, because I think that will provide the big improvements from
    new development. I am going to try to install a newer kernel, too, but I
    don't hold out much hope of success for that.

    --
    It's a sad commentary when Americans come to assume
    that the use of FREE indicates no monetary cost

    -- Gary Watson (1991)

  12. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 06:14:55 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:

    >>> I couldn't find any way to install 3.5 on the Kubuntu 8.10
    >>> installation.
    >>>

    >> You might find this thread of interest.

    >> As for myself, I'm just a bit too cautious to allow my OS to download
    >> from unofficial repositories.
    >>
    >> By the way (referencing your User-Agent header) are you really using
    >> Mandrake 9.1?

    > I have Mandrake 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1 loaded on a couple of old clunkers
    > in the basement.
    >
    > The Mandrake 8.0 commercial package was my first full-blown distro. Before
    > that it was tomsrtbt and the LRP, both "Linux on a floppy."

    My memory isn't as good as yours. I remember downloading a bunch of
    floppies over a dial-up line, and installing Linux under the DOS
    filesystem. I thought that was a great thing. I could finally script in
    windows.

    I do remember the first CD distribution I bought. It was Yggdrasil. I
    remember thinking that recognizing that name was the only practical use I
    got out of a Norse mythology course in college.

    --
    If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes
    to think little of robbing, and from robbing he comes next

    -- Thomas De Quincey - Murder Considered as One
    of the Fine Arts

  13. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Joe User wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 18:36:58 -0700, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:
    >>> I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >>>
    >>> But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >>>
    >>> The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >>>
    >>> I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    >>> KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    >>> Enlightenment, instead.
    >>>
    >>> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.
    >>>

    >> Damn and dagnation....guess ya won't a-be reading this reply then.
    >>
    >> (Written from inside little ole Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 and Kubuntu v8.10,
    >> which is running inside a VirtualBox v2.0.4 session)

    > I didn't say I would shun people who use Kubuntu 8.10. I just announced,
    > in the spirit of community in the newsgroup, that I wouldn't use it.

    Whoops...my apologies! My comment was meant as just a bit of "tongue in
    cheek" and I forgot to add a smiley. :-)

    > Right now, I am using Kubuntu 8.04. I just enabled the backports
    > repository, because I think that will provide the big improvements from
    > new development. I am going to try to install a newer kernel, too, but I
    > don't hold out much hope of success for that.

    Good luck with your project..... :-)

  14. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    John Kloosterman wrote:
    > It is really a shame Kubuntu is so buggy and bad implemented. It will
    > give the people the impresion KDE 4.1 is crappy, but in reality it is
    > the implementation in Kubuntu that's crappy. I think the designers of

    Hmmm. Using it 99% as a file server/DNS server/web proxy (logging in
    only to configure or update), I don't get the same impression.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Indefinite article
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=421

  15. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > John Kloosterman wrote:
    >> It is really a shame Kubuntu is so buggy and bad implemented. It will
    >> give the people the impresion KDE 4.1 is crappy, but in reality it is
    >> the implementation in Kubuntu that's crappy. I think the designers of

    > Hmmm. Using it 99% as a file server/DNS server/web proxy (logging in
    > only to configure or update), I don't get the same impression.

    Not very strange. My observations are made on a daily use as
    desktop computer - not on a server. I prefer to keep my
    servers clean from desktop environments. I keep my servers
    away from physical contact if possible (nothing dramatic -
    just locked ayway).

    Configuring the server after the network is established I
    like to do on a desktop computer using webmin via ssh.

    Anyway - just take a look (and a feel) for a few day's how
    other distro's (I named a few) have implemented KDE 4.1.2,
    and you really notice a difference.

    I say it before and I say it again, I am not against Kbuntu.
    I only wish they put in as much effort in Kubuntu as they
    did in Ubuntu. At this moment it's simply not the case, and
    that's a shame...

    John.

  16. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >> I've used Kubuntu for years, and kept it updated.
    >>
    >> But, I will avoid using 8.10.
    >>
    >> The new KDE is just not acceptable.
    >>
    >> I will wait for a year or so, and maybe I will switch to Debian. Maybe
    >> KDE 4 will grow into something usable. Maybe I will start using
    >> Enlightenment, instead.
    >>
    >> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.
    >>

    > I am afraid I have to agree, but not because KDE 4.1 is not
    > usable. KDE 4.0 was not usable, but KDE 4.1 really is.
    >
    > No - the way KDE 4.1 is implemented in Kubuntu is just plain
    > crappy. It is becoming clearer and clearer Kubuntu is just
    > the ugly stephchild of Ubuntu. It just feels like it is
    > developped as an aftertoght to keep those pesky KDE lovers
    > kind of happy. Let's face it - the makers of Ubuntu are
    > Gnome lovers with no passion at all for KDE. I think they
    > rather would get rid of it all together if they could do so
    > without their users complaining.
    >
    > If you take a look how KDE 4.1.2 is implemented in distro's
    > like Mandriva 2009 or OpenSUSE etc. you see a very usable
    > and polished KDE4 version. Yes - it takes some time to get
    > used to it, but after a while it becomes a second nature.
    > And it is growing better all the time. Within a few months
    > KDE 4.2 is ready, and functionallity will get another huge
    > increase.
    >
    > It is really a shame Kubuntu is so buggy and bad
    > implemented. It will give the people the impresion KDE 4.1
    > is crappy, but in reality it is the implementation in
    > Kubuntu that's crappy. I think the designers of Kubuntu are
    > really doing ther best, but just get lousy support from
    > Canonical. At this moment I really cannot advise KDE4 users
    > to use Kubuntu because there are to much bad implementated
    > parts in it.
    >
    > No - it's not KDE4 that's crappy here. It is the bad support
    > the Kubuntu designers get from Canonical that's (in my
    > opinion) the culprit. If Canonical just put the same
    > manpower and effort in Kubuntu as they did in Ubuntu you
    > would see a really shiney KDE implentation of Ubuntu. I know
    > this is possible, because if I just take look at other
    > distro's I can see KDE4 shine.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong - I love the Ubuntu Gnome version, but
    > after using Mandriva 2009 for a while Kubuntu really gives
    > you the feeling it is far behind and have a lot of work to
    > do to just to catch up. And that's a shame...
    >
    > John.

    Yes we know... KDE4 is just a ****. It's not even pre-beta.

  17. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Yes we know... KDE4 is just a ****. It's not even pre-beta.

    You got me totally wrong. I did not say KDE4 is bad. KDE4 is
    absolutely very usable. In my opinion it is a step forward,
    albeit not really there yet. Calling it pre-beta is a huge
    exaggeration and a bit childish. I have no hesitation to use
    it on a day to day base. In fact I am already using KDE
    4.1.2 more then I use KDE 3.5.x.

    The problem is that in Kubuntu you get the feeling it is
    pre-beta, just because the implementation in Kubuntu is not
    up to par. People using Kubuntu are getting the false
    impression KDE 4.1.2 is not good, but they are wrong. I am
    afraid the people behind Kubuntu have a bit of work to do to
    catch up with other disto's.

    What bothers me however is that people will base their
    opinion about KDE4 on their experience with Kubuntu. This is
    a bit of a shame, because (present) KDE4 is better than what
    you see in Kubuntu.

  18. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    John, I totally agree.

    Just took a look at openSUSE. What a difference!

    I now have two choices for my desktop machine. Stick with Kubuntu 8.04
    as also advised on Kubuntu.org or change over to Ubuntu 8.10. But I
    think, once I have got used to gnome, I will not change back to KDE.

    It is a pity. Regards Karl-Heinz

  19. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Karl-Heinz Künzel wrote:
    > John, I totally agree.
    >
    > Just took a look at openSUSE. What a difference!
    >
    > I now have two choices for my desktop machine. Stick with Kubuntu 8.04
    > as also advised on Kubuntu.org or change over to Ubuntu 8.10. But I
    > think, once I have got used to gnome, I will not change back to KDE.
    >
    > It is a pity. Regards Karl-Heinz

    Thanks...

    For Gnome I use Ubuntu, but for KDE I use Mandriva 2009
    (although I must admit Gnome is also very good in Mandriva
    too). At this moment Kubuntu is not up to par.

    Even as KDE4 is a bit more restricted than KDE3 at this
    moment I will stay with KDE4. I never ever had a real
    comfortable feeling with Gnome. It feels too restricted to
    my taste. Going back to KDE3.5 is possible, but after
    playing around a while with KDE4 it feels a bit outdated
    (strange but true).

    Seeing what is possible with plasma and using widgets I
    think KDE4 is the way to go. Using a strong core and make it
    possible fore everybody to place components on top of it
    makes KDE4 an hugely flexible desktop environment. It is
    just starting, but I think it has a bright future.

    I am 53 and I have seen a lot of desktop environments
    passing by. My first real desktop environment was "Arthur"
    on the Acorn A310 RISC based machine (followed by RiscOS on
    the RiscPC) long before Windows 3.1 or "95" emerged. KDE on
    Linux always is giving me that "home" feeling other desktop
    environments do not give me, so maybe I am a bit biased
    about KDE4. If so - I am sorry... ;-).

    John.

  20. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    > Thanks...
    >
    > For Gnome I use Ubuntu, but for KDE I use Mandriva 2009 (although I must
    > admit Gnome is also very good in Mandriva too). At this moment Kubuntu
    > is not up to par.
    >
    > Even as KDE4 is a bit more restricted than KDE3 at this moment I will
    > stay with KDE4. I never ever had a real comfortable feeling with Gnome.
    > It feels too restricted to my taste. Going back to KDE3.5 is possible,
    > but after playing around a while with KDE4 it feels a bit outdated
    > (strange but true).
    >
    > Seeing what is possible with plasma and using widgets I think KDE4 is
    > the way to go. Using a strong core and make it possible fore everybody
    > to place components on top of it makes KDE4 an hugely flexible desktop
    > environment. It is just starting, but I think it has a bright future.
    >
    > I am 53 and I have seen a lot of desktop environments passing by. My
    > first real desktop environment was "Arthur" on the Acorn A310 RISC based
    > machine (followed by RiscOS on the RiscPC) long before Windows 3.1 or
    > "95" emerged. KDE on Linux always is giving me that "home" feeling other
    > desktop environments do not give me, so maybe I am a bit biased about
    > KDE4. If so - I am sorry... ;-).
    >
    > John.

    John. It gave me some reassurance on my own impression on Kubuntu 8.10
    reading your comments.

    I am new 56 and I started with C64 and Atari ST.

    What I am missing on Kubuntu 8.10 is that "rock solid feeling" KDE 3.5
    was giving. Running almost like a swiss watch....

    But maybe that is because my background is mechanical engineering.

    John, I think I will stay with 8.04 and wait till the next release.

    Karl-Heinz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast