Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4) - Ubuntu ; Karl-Heinz Künzel wrote: > John. It gave me some reassurance on my own impression on Kubuntu 8.10 > reading your comments. > > I am new 56 and I started with C64 and Atari ST. > > What I am ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Karl-Heinz Künzel wrote:

    > John. It gave me some reassurance on my own impression on Kubuntu 8.10
    > reading your comments.
    >
    > I am new 56 and I started with C64 and Atari ST.
    >
    > What I am missing on Kubuntu 8.10 is that "rock solid feeling" KDE 3.5
    > was giving. Running almost like a swiss watch....
    >
    > But maybe that is because my background is mechanical engineering.
    >
    > John, I think I will stay with 8.04 and wait till the next release.
    >
    > Karl-Heinz

    Hey - who am I to criticize any choice. The software is
    free, the OS and desktop are free - and the choice what you
    will use is fee also. That's why I love OSS and Linux as an OS.

    KDE 3.5 will still get improvements, so there is no reason
    to make the switch to Kubuntu 8.10 now. I will wait until I
    have got and tested the upcoming KDE 4.2 (end of this year,
    early begin next year), before I will upgrade my "costumers".

    Mechanical engineering? Well that indeed explains a lot...;-).

    I have a background in electronics and computer technology.
    My first computer (or better - central processor with memory
    core), was build from TTL technology. To be precise - the
    7400 series of digital ports an components. That was a huge
    (and a bit expensive) undertaking for a simple hobbyist, but
    I got it working. Needless to say that was long before the
    PC ever existed...

    Oh - sweet memory's

    Anyway - back to topic. I will keep an eye on Kubuntu 8.10.
    There is always a chance there will be enough patches that
    will improve usability.

    John.

  2. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    John Kloosterman wrote:
    > Karl-Heinz Künzel wrote:
    >
    >> John. It gave me some reassurance on my own impression on Kubuntu 8.10
    >> reading your comments.
    >>
    >> I am new 56 and I started with C64 and Atari ST.

    I was a new 56 in July but some days I sure do feel an old 56! ;-)

    .....oh and yeah...TI 99/4A and Vic 20

    > Anyway - back to topic. I will keep an eye on Kubuntu 8.10. There is
    > always a chance there will be enough patches that will improve usability.

    FWIW....users might also want to keep in mind that some of the perceived
    problems may not be directly related to KDE4 itself; anyone interested
    can peruse the following url:

    http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/en/node/549
    Fixing Plasma performance with the open source Radeon driver

  3. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    Karl-Heinz Künzel wrote:
    > John, I totally agree.
    >
    > Just took a look at openSUSE. What a difference!

    Just did a virtualbox install of openSUSE v11; seems very nice indeed. :-)

  4. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, just as I was about to take a
    herb, Joe User disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    I tried EVERYTHING to try to get GRUB installed in the root folder of
    my Kubuntu partition, but nothing worked at all.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

  5. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    DrTeeth wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, just as I was about to take a
    > herb, Joe User disturbed my reverie and wrote:
    >
    >> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.

    > I tried EVERYTHING to try to get GRUB installed in the root folder of
    > my Kubuntu partition, but nothing worked at all.

    Have you tried Supergrub?

    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

  6. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    DrTeeth wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:43:22 -0500, just as I was about to take a
    > herb, Joe User disturbed my reverie and wrote:
    >

    >> But Kubuntu 8.10 is just not usable.
    >>

    > I tried EVERYTHING to try to get GRUB installed in the root folder of
    > my Kubuntu partition, but nothing worked at all.

    GRUB doesn't go into the root folder of any partition on any distro.

    GRUB's files go into the /boot/grub directory.

    GRUB itself goes into /sbin with several libraries in the /lib/grub
    directory. Even the /usr/share directory has several of GRUB's files.

    You obviously haven't tried EVERYTHING yet, or it would install. This
    fact is proven by millions of Linux users all over the world.

    I'd suggest you do a little reading and educate yourself. Sure, that
    will take some time, but you will learn something, so the time is not
    wasted.

    You will get GRUB to install, and not simply waste your time, and
    possibly damage your system, by shotgunning your problem.

    Hint: Read the manual for grub(8) using a terminal, type:

    man grub

    Use your spacebar to advance a page (or the PageUp/PageDown keys). Use q
    to quit.

    For something possibly easier to read, try:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

    There are numerous links at the end of that Wiki page.

    Stick with it and you will overcome. Remember, quitters never win. ;-)

    Good luck.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:38:05 -0600, just as I was about to take a
    herb, "John F. Morse" disturbed my
    reverie and wrote:

    >GRUB doesn't go into the root folder of any partition on any distro.
    >
    >GRUB's files go into the /boot/grub directory.
    >
    >GRUB itself goes into /sbin with several libraries in the /lib/grub
    >directory. Even the /usr/share directory has several of GRUB's files.
    >
    >You obviously haven't tried EVERYTHING yet, or it would install. This
    >fact is proven by millions of Linux users all over the world.

    I have installed many flavours of Linux and though I may not have used
    the correct terminology, I never install GRUB in the MBR, always the
    Linux partition as I use another boot loader.

    I tried /dev/sdb5 during and after the install and hd1,4 during and
    after the install and all failed.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

  8. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:10:09 -0800, just as I was about to take a
    herb, propman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >Have you tried Supergrub?

    Yep, did not help unfortunately.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

  9. Re: Kubuntu 8.10 sucks out loud (due to KDE 4)

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:07:45 +0000, just as I was about to take a
    herb, DrTeeth disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >I tried EVERYTHING to try to get GRUB installed in the root folder of
    >my Kubuntu partition, but nothing worked at all.

    Strangely, no problems with Ubuntu 8.10 (or Mandriva 2009).
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2