How to autostart CDs and DVDs - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to autostart CDs and DVDs - Ubuntu ; I just wiped out my Kubuntu 8.04 installation, installing 8.10 in its place. While I have Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon working for CDs and DVDs, respectively, I don't know how to autostart those applications when I load a CD or DVD. ...

  1. How to autostart CDs and DVDs

    I just wiped out my Kubuntu 8.04 installation, installing 8.10 in its place.

    While I have Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon working for CDs and DVDs,
    respectively, I don't know how to autostart those applications when I
    load a CD or DVD. I've tried setting the file associations in System
    Settings, but if that's the way, clearly I didn't do it correctly.

    Can someone tell me how to set up these file types to autostart?

    Thanks!
    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  2. Re: How to autostart CDs and DVDs

    Rob Lindauer wrote:
    > I just wiped out my Kubuntu 8.04 installation, installing 8.10 in its
    > place.
    >
    > While I have Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon working for CDs and DVDs,
    > respectively, I don't know how to autostart those applications when I
    > load a CD or DVD. I've tried setting the file associations in System
    > Settings, but if that's the way, clearly I didn't do it correctly.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to set up these file types to autostart?
    >
    > Thanks!

    K start center -> Help -> Contents -> Control Center Modules - File
    Associations

  3. Re: How to autostart CDs and DVDs

    propman wrote:
    > Rob Lindauer wrote:
    >> I just wiped out my Kubuntu 8.04 installation, installing 8.10 in its
    >> place.
    >>
    >> While I have Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon working for CDs and DVDs,
    >> respectively, I don't know how to autostart those applications when I
    >> load a CD or DVD. I've tried setting the file associations in System
    >> Settings, but if that's the way, clearly I didn't do it correctly.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to set up these file types to autostart?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > K start center -> Help -> Contents -> Control Center Modules - File
    > Associations

    Hi, propman. I don't see where to find "K start center" in the first
    place. I do see "System Settings" in my KDE4 menus, with "configure
    file associations" as on the "system settings" advanced tab. The CD/DVD
    filetypes already appear associated with Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon
    there. So, I presume again I'm not doing the right thing to trigger the
    autostart of the applications when I load a CD/DVD. I'd welcome further
    pointers! Thanks, RL

    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  4. Re: How to autostart CDs and DVDs

    Rob Lindauer wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Rob Lindauer wrote:
    >>> I just wiped out my Kubuntu 8.04 installation, installing 8.10 in its
    >>> place.
    >>>
    >>> While I have Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon working for CDs and DVDs,
    >>> respectively, I don't know how to autostart those applications when I
    >>> load a CD or DVD. I've tried setting the file associations in System
    >>> Settings, but if that's the way, clearly I didn't do it correctly.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how to set up these file types to autostart?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> K start center -> Help -> Contents -> Control Center Modules - File
    >> Associations
    >>

    > Hi, propman. I don't see where to find "K start center" in the first
    > place.

    Well I was just using the term "K start center" (letter K on main menu
    icon and "Start" button is Windows counterpart) as a reference to
    starting point for KDE4 menus.

    I do see "System Settings" in my KDE4 menus, with "configure
    > file associations" as on the "system settings" advanced tab. The CD/DVD
    > filetypes already appear associated with Amarok and Kaffeine/Dragon
    > there. So, I presume again I'm not doing the right thing to trigger the
    > autostart of the applications when I load a CD/DVD. I'd welcome further
    > pointers! Thanks, RL

    The pointer I gave above points to the KDE Help documentation on file
    associations.

    Re: autostarting.....the following url should give you some ideas: