Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters. - Ubuntu ; Example: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2NzZmZTU1YmI= The text from there pastes with some weird ASCI codes. �\200\231. See example below. How can I fix it? The motivation, presumably, of whoever is complaining to the press lies in getting a head start on recriminations. Someone, ...

  1. Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters.

    Example:

    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2NzZmZTU1YmI=

    The text from there pastes with some weird ASCI codes. �\200\231.

    See example below. How can I fix it?

    The motivation, presumably, of whoever is complaining to the press
    lies in getting a head start on recriminations. Someone, operating
    under the assumption that McCain-Palin will end up a losing ticket, is
    aiming to get in front of the pack by making the GOP’s first female
    vice-presidential contender a scapegoat. The most colorful and adamant
    Palin-basher within the Republican campaign gave the game away when he
    or she overshot: “She does not have any relationships of trust with
    any of us, her family or anyone else,” the source, who went so far
    as to call Palin a “diva,” told CNN. She doesn’t trust, or
    isn’t trusted by, anyone in her family? Now, I’m not in the
    position to know, but that seems a little much.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters.

    The same copy/paste from FF 3.0.3 on hardy (locale FR). No problem :

    The motivation, presumably, of whoever is complaining to the press lies
    in getting a head start on recriminations. Someone, operating under the
    assumption that McCain-Palin will end up a losing ticket, is aiming to
    get in front of the pack by making the GOPs first female
    vice-presidential contender a scapegoat. The most colorful and adamant
    Palin-basher within the Republican campaign gave the game away when he
    or she overshot: She does not have any relationships of trust with any
    of us, her family or anyone else, the source, who went so far as to
    call Palin a diva, told CNN. She doesnt trust, or isnt trusted by,
    anyone in her family? Now, Im not in the position to know, but that
    seems a little much.

  3. Re: Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters.

    Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:54:01 -0500, Ignoramus10571 did cat*:

    > Example:
    >
    > http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2NzZmZTU1YmI=
    >
    > The text from there pastes with some weird ASCI codes. �\200\231.
    >
    > See example below. How can I fix it?
    > trusted by, anyone in her family? Now, I’m not in the position to

    seems your browser settings+locales+whatever are playing funny with
    a few extended quotes (&[rl]dquo, what gives:
    $ links -dump thepage > thefile

    is the 'thefile' content b0rken the same? If so I'd say your locales
    are maybe a bit twisted. From a quick glance at the headers code in the
    quoted page I'd say it should be allright under ISO8859-1*, now
    I've been many times so much surprised with what crossing tables
    could do to simple texts like an APL source or a MIDifile ;|)

  4. Re: Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters.

    Ignoramus10571 wrote:

    > Example:
    >
    > http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2NzZmZTU1YmI=
    >
    > The text from there pastes with some weird ASCI codes. �\200\231.

    That smells like the problems with google quoting in Usenet. It's
    not your fault.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Copy/paste from Firefox results in weird characters.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, CBFalconer belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Ignoramus10571 wrote:
    >>
    >> Example:
    >>
    >> http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Q2NzZmZTU1YmI=
    >>
    >> The text from there pastes with some weird ASCI codes. �\200\231.

    > That smells like the problems with google quoting in Usenet. It's
    > not your fault.

    It's Unicode. I think it's the UTF-8 encoding, not sure though.

    On some sites you'll see the Microsoft variant, UTF-16, with codes such as
    \u1034, usually for quotes (both single and double), double-hyphens, and
    ellipses.

    --
    No problem is insoluble.
    -- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4

+ Reply to Thread