CUPS in Kubuntu comes preconfigured with a PDF pseudo printer. It puts a
PDF file in $HOME/PDF. This is apparently controlled by the file
/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf. I would like for it to print to $HOME/Desktop
instead, so it shows up on the screen as an icon.

First I tried symlinking the two directories together: 'rmdir PDF;ln -s
Desktop PDF' but printing to PDF gave a flash of something on the screen,
and no output file. Ditto the other way around. I found /var/log/cups/
cups-pdf_log, it reported:
[ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal) (/home/rolandl/
PDF/KDE_Print_System.pdf)

Then I edited /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf (via 'sudo vi') and changed "Out"
to ${HOME}/Desktop. No luck. Now cups-pdf_log says:
[ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal) (/home/
rolandl/Desktop/KDE_Print_System.pdf)

Even 'chmod 777 Desktop' didn't help. What am I missing? Thanks for any
ideas you may have.