Move from NTFS to native file system - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Move from NTFS to native file system - Ubuntu ; Hello, I installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 some times ago as a trial. I used the option to put the files on a NTFS partition. There are no Windows files on that partition. Now I want to use Ubuntu on a regularily ...

  1. Move from NTFS to native file system

    Hello,

    I installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 some times ago as a trial. I used the option
    to put the files on a NTFS partition. There are no Windows files on that
    partition.

    Now I want to use Ubuntu on a regularily base. Therefor I want to move my
    linux file system(s) from the NTFS partition to a native etx3? partition
    while keeping the installation.

    * Is this useful?
    * Where to read?
    * How to do it?

    Best regards,
    Helge

  2. Re: Move from NTFS to native file system

    Helge Kruse wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 some times ago as a trial. I used the option
    > to put the files on a NTFS partition. There are no Windows files on that
    > partition.
    >
    > Now I want to use Ubuntu on a regularily base. Therefor I want to move my
    > linux file system(s) from the NTFS partition to a native etx3? partition
    > while keeping the installation.
    >
    > * Is this useful?
    > * Where to read?
    > * How to do it?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Helge

    1. Yes
    2. try http://help.ubuntu.com/ and/or look for the Linux Documentation
    Project.
    3. What volume of files (MBs, GBs?) and what amount of spare storage do
    you have? (USB sticks, external drives, unassigned partitions etc.)

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  3. Re: Move from NTFS to native file system

    "Mike Rechtman" wrote in message
    > Helge Kruse wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 some times ago as a trial. I used the
    >> option to put the files on a NTFS partition. There are no Windows
    >> files on that partition. Now I want to use Ubuntu on a regularily
    >> base. Therefor I want to move my linux file system(s) from the NTFS
    >> partition to a native etx3? partition while keeping the
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> * Is this useful?
    >> * Where to read?
    >> * How to do it?
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Helge

    > 1. Yes
    > 2. try http://help.ubuntu.com/ and/or look for the Linux
    > Documentation Project.
    > 3. What volume of files (MBs, GBs?) and what amount of spare storage
    > do you have? (USB sticks, external drives, unassigned partitions
    > etc.)

    Currently I have a 30GB harddisc with NTFS, where the unbuntu resides.
    I have another harddisc (NTFS) with 50 GB free space. I consider to
    copy the unbuntu files to the larger harddisc, start Ubuntu, prepare
    the 30GB harddisc with Linux file system and move somehow to the native
    file system.

    I will have to learn,
    - how Ubuntu starts with the other file
    - how to copy the installed system.

    Do you think this is a reasonable approach?

    Alternatively I could consider installing a Ubuntu 8.10 version and
    move the user files...

    Best Regards,
    Helge

  4. Re: Move from NTFS to native file system

    Helge Kruse schreef:

    > "Mike Rechtman" wrote in message
    >> Helge Kruse wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 some times ago as a trial. I used the
    >>> option to put the files on a NTFS partition. There are no Windows
    >>> files on that partition. Now I want to use Ubuntu on a regularily
    >>> base. Therefor I want to move my linux file system(s) from the NTFS
    >>> partition to a native etx3? partition while keeping the installation.
    >>>
    >>> * Is this useful?
    >>> * Where to read?
    >>> * How to do it?
    >>>
    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Helge

    >> 1. Yes
    >> 2. try http://help.ubuntu.com/ and/or look for the Linux Documentation
    >> Project.
    >> 3. What volume of files (MBs, GBs?) and what amount of spare storage
    >> do you have? (USB sticks, external drives, unassigned partitions etc.)

    > Currently I have a 30GB harddisc with NTFS, where the unbuntu resides. I
    > have another harddisc (NTFS) with 50 GB free space. I consider to copy
    > the unbuntu files to the larger harddisc, start Ubuntu, prepare the 30GB
    > harddisc with Linux file system and move somehow to the native file system.
    >
    > I will have to learn,
    > - how Ubuntu starts with the other file
    > - how to copy the installed system.
    >
    > Do you think this is a reasonable approach?
    >
    > Alternatively I could consider installing a Ubuntu 8.10 version and move
    > the user files...
    >

    > Best Regards,
    > Helge

    Having a(n even larger) extra disk is great.

    I understand you installed the WUBI version of Linux on ntfs, I'm not
    sure you can cleanly copy all file attributes from such a virtual Wubi
    disk to a real ext3 disk but lets assume it works

    It should be sufficient to format this drive with ext3 and then copy
    your present disk across using dd or some imaging software.
    Now change the jumpers so that the new disk becomes the first and the
    old the second and restart.

    One thing I'm not absolutely sure of is if the boot record is copied but
    using the SuperGrub disk you could always fix any start up problems.

    Would it not work you can always put the disks back in their original
    fashion and use the option of only copying the /home directory and doing
    a fresh install.

    I would prefer such a fresh install as it will assure proper file
    attributes and a correct start up via grub.

    As a matter of fact, I've installed Linux on a new disk and copied my
    home files afterwards (and selectively per application) onto the new
    install.

+ Reply to Thread