8.10 and Wireless - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 8.10 and Wireless - Ubuntu ; The install updated my BCM43 wireless card, yet it still doesn't work. I download the Broadcom driver from http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and attempted the install. The instructions were very vague. Has anyone done this install of the broadcom BCM4312 driver?...

  1. 8.10 and Wireless

    The install updated my BCM43 wireless card, yet it still doesn't work. I
    download the Broadcom driver from
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    and attempted the install. The instructions were very vague. Has anyone
    done this install of the broadcom BCM4312 driver?

  2. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    John Spence wrote:
    > The install updated my BCM43 wireless card, yet it still doesn't work. I
    > download the Broadcom driver from
    > http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    > and attempted the install.

    I don't like that sourcecode approach.

    > The instructions were very vague. Has anyone
    > done this install of the broadcom BCM4312 driver?

    No, but have you seen these pages...

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...irelessNetwork
    CardsBroadcom Wifi Wireless Cards Supported - Broadcom - See also
    WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx New b43 and
    b43-legacy Drivers - New b43 driver still doesn't work without proprietary
    firmware, which isn't included in Ubuntu and must be downloaded
    separately, using b43-fwcutter package (from Ubuntu universe) or simply by
    installing b43-firmware package from http://ubuntu.cafuego.net (from Hardy
    distribution). New b43 driver doesn't work with old bcm43xx firmware. -
    How To find out if you're using Broadcom 43xx --
    In a terminal, type lspci

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    On 2008-11-01, John Spence wrote:

    > The install updated my BCM43 wireless card, yet it still doesn't work. I
    > download the Broadcom driver from
    > http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    > and attempted the install. The instructions were very vague. Has anyone
    > done this install of the broadcom BCM4312 driver?

    Actually I have a Broadcom card:

    andrew@skamandros:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

    And it works flawlessly with Intrepid Ibex. Not with the 'wl' driver
    though. The page you actually need is this one:

    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

    not the Broadcom site's page which is a little hard to follow :-).

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'hfrarg.naqerj@tznvy.pbz' | \
    tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'

  4. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    andrew scribbled the following,on 01-Nov-08 5:49 p.m.:
    > On 2008-11-01, John Spence wrote:
    >
    >> The install updated my BCM43 wireless card, yet it still doesn't work. I
    >> download the Broadcom driver from
    >> http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    >> and attempted the install. The instructions were very vague. Has anyone
    >> done this install of the broadcom BCM4312 driver?

    > Actually I have a Broadcom card:
    >
    > andrew@skamandros:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
    > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    > 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)
    >
    > And it works flawlessly with Intrepid Ibex. Not with the 'wl' driver
    > though. The page you actually need is this one:
    >
    > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    >
    > not the Broadcom site's page which is a little hard to follow :-).
    >
    > Andrew

    Andrew, this sounds great. Would you please tell me just what you
    downloaded and the installation process. If you can. Thanks.

  5. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    On 2008-11-02, John Spence wrote:
    > andrew scribbled the following,on 01-Nov-08 5:49 p.m.:

    >> Actually I have a Broadcom card:
    >>
    >> andrew@skamandros:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
    >> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    >> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

    [...]

    > Andrew, this sounds great. Would you please tell me just what you
    > downloaded and the installation process. If you can. Thanks.

    The method under Ubuntu is actually pretty easy and the following steps
    are required:

    +--------------------------
    1. Download the Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware:

    $ sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

    2. Download, extract and install the firmware. This can be done by using
    a script that comes with the Ubuntu package. Run:

    $ sudo /usr/share/b43-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
    +-------------------------

    Easiest way then is to reboot and cross your fingers :-). If all is
    well start surfing, if nothing is working check under System -->
    Administration --> Hardware Drivers and ensure that 'Broadcom B43
    Wireless Driver' is marked 'Activated'.

    I found the Network Manager a bit of a pain and used wicd instead, but I
    gather others have had great success with it. If you have trouble with
    NM you can get wicd here:

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

    All the best with this!

    Andrew
    --
    echo 'hfrarg.naqerj@tznvy.pbz' | \
    tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'

  6. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    andrew scribbled the following,on 02-Nov-08 3:33 a.m.:
    > On 2008-11-02, John Spence wrote:
    >> andrew scribbled the following,on 01-Nov-08 5:49 p.m.:

    >>> Actually I have a Broadcom card:
    >>>
    >>> andrew@skamandros:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
    >>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    >>> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

    > [...]
    >
    >> Andrew, this sounds great. Would you please tell me just what you
    >> downloaded and the installation process. If you can. Thanks.

    > The method under Ubuntu is actually pretty easy and the following steps
    > are required:
    >
    > +--------------------------
    > 1. Download the Utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware:
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    >
    > 2. Download, extract and install the firmware. This can be done by using
    > a script that comes with the Ubuntu package. Run:
    >
    > $ sudo /usr/share/b43-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
    > +-------------------------
    >
    > Easiest way then is to reboot and cross your fingers :-). If all is
    > well start surfing, if nothing is working check under System -->
    > Administration --> Hardware Drivers and ensure that 'Broadcom B43
    > Wireless Driver' is marked 'Activated'.
    >
    > I found the Network Manager a bit of a pain and used wicd instead, but I
    > gather others have had great success with it. If you have trouble with
    > NM you can get wicd here:
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >
    > All the best with this!
    >
    > Andrew

    I got the wireless working. I have a Dell 1521(AMD64) with Broadcom
    4312, which doesn't have much support in the Linux community. I have
    originally installed Ibex 32 bit and decided to trash it and install the
    64 bit version. In going to the Hardware drivers, I enabled the b43
    driver. It worked and the computer recognized the Linksys WRT54G router.
    The problem was the configuration of the connection. SSID I understood
    but BSSID is didn't and since I put MAC security on the router the
    configuration needed the Encryption Key provided by the router for the
    Broadcom card. Once that was retrieved from the router and keyed in the
    correct MAC code - it worked and connection was made. I rebooted just in
    case and all is well.

    It seems that Ibex 64 and proper codes fix everything.

    Do you know how many different instruction there on the web to install
    Broadcom wireless? More than five and they are all different.

    Now I have to get the microphone working and Skype.

    Thanks for your help.

  7. Re: 8.10 and Wireless

    On 2008-11-03, John Spence wrote:

    > Do you know how many different instruction there on the web to install
    > Broadcom wireless? More than five and they are all different.

    I think that people will look back at this time as the intermediate
    stage between no support for wireless in Linux and complete support for
    wireless. It is exciting to be around as things are slowly taking shape
    if not more than a little confusing :-).

    > Thanks for your help.

    It is my pleasure! I have been away from Ubuntu for a while and I am
    back now in only a small way but it is the community and readiness of
    people to share knowledge that pulled me back in.

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'hfrarg.naqerj@tznvy.pbz' | \
    tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'