network manager annoyaince - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on network manager annoyaince - Ubuntu ; I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP password....

  1. network manager annoyaince

    I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    password.

  2. Re: network manager annoyaince

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:56:30 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    > password.

    try wicd

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: network manager annoyaince

    AZ Nomad illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    > password.

    Right click network manager applet in the task bar
    Select the wireless connection
    Click Edit connection
    Put a tick in "connect automatically and "system setting"
    Re-enter your wep key
    Click OK
    Enter your sudo password in the box that pops up and tick "remember
    authorisation". Click OK. Done

    You will then connect automatically on boot

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  4. Re: network manager annoyaince

    Moog schreef:
    > AZ Nomad illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    >> password.

    > Right click network manager applet in the task bar
    > Select the wireless connection
    > Click Edit connection
    > Put a tick in "connect automatically and "system setting"
    > Re-enter your wep key
    > Click OK
    > Enter your sudo password in the box that pops up and tick "remember
    > authorisation". Click OK. Done
    >
    > You will then connect automatically on boot

    Asside from this fix I would strongly suggest you change from totally
    insecure WEB to something like WPA or WPA2.

  5. Re: network manager annoyaince

    Dirk T. Verbeek illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog schreef:
    >> AZ Nomad illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    >>> password.

    >> Right click network manager applet in the task bar
    >> Select the wireless connection
    >> Click Edit connection
    >> Put a tick in "connect automatically and "system setting"
    >> Re-enter your wep key
    >> Click OK
    >> Enter your sudo password in the box that pops up and tick "remember
    >> authorisation". Click OK. Done
    >>
    >> You will then connect automatically on boot
    >>

    > Asside from this fix

    It's not a "fix". It's the way Intrepid's nm-applet works

    > I would strongly suggest you change from totally
    > insecure WEB to something like WPA or WPA2.

    I'd agree with that. However, some older wireless routers and access
    points are only capable of WEP.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  6. Re: network manager annoyaince

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:34:46 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >Moog schreef:
    >> AZ Nomad illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I'd like it if it would simply connect instead of prompt me for a WEP
    >>> password.

    >> Right click network manager applet in the task bar
    >> Select the wireless connection
    >> Click Edit connection
    >> Put a tick in "connect automatically and "system setting"
    >> Re-enter your wep key
    >> Click OK
    >> Enter your sudo password in the box that pops up and tick "remember
    >> authorisation". Click OK. Done
    >>
    >> You will then connect automatically on boot
    >>

    >Asside from this fix I would strongly suggest you change from totally
    >insecure WEB to something like WPA or WPA2.

    No problem. Send me a new access point and I'll do it first thing in
    the morning.

+ Reply to Thread