Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install - Ubuntu ; Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to power down the PC at the power supply switch. Any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to the
    screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to power
    down the PC at the power supply switch.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600, Darkelldar wrote:

    > Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to the
    > screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to power
    > down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like this.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Darkelldar" wrote:

    > Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets
    > to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I
    > have to power down the PC at the power supply switch.

    I assume that your post means that you also do not have any disk
    activity for a while, or anything along those lines?

    Can you press Control+Alt+F1 and reach a virtual terminal? If not, can
    you press Alt+SysRq+k and does that do anything? Or, if that does not
    work, what about Alt+SysRq+b?

    Also, have you been able to use Hardy or any other previous Ubuntu
    release, or any other distribution of Linux on this particular system?

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:20:44 -0500
    Dan C wrote:

    > Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like this.

    That was wholly uncalled for.

    Head on over to comp.os.linux.advocacy, your type is quite welcome
    there.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.11.01.01.20.44.772046@moria.lan...
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600, Darkelldar wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to
    >> the
    >> screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to
    >> power
    >> down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like this.
    >

    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

    So thats the help I get here. Thanks a lot.

  6. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600
    > "Darkelldar" wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets
    >> to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I
    >> have to power down the PC at the power supply switch.

    > I assume that your post means that you also do not have any disk
    > activity for a while, or anything along those lines?
    >
    > Can you press Control+Alt+F1 and reach a virtual terminal? If not, can
    > you press Alt+SysRq+k and does that do anything? Or, if that does not
    > work, what about Alt+SysRq+b?
    >
    > Also, have you been able to use Hardy or any other previous Ubuntu
    > release, or any other distribution of Linux on this particular system?
    >
    > --- Mike
    >
    > --
    > My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    > http://www.trausch.us/

    I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to install
    once but could not get wireless or the sound to work. So I want to try 8.10

  7. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Darkelldar" wrote in message

    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600
    >> "Darkelldar" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets
    >>> to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I
    >>> have to power down the PC at the power supply switch.

    >> I assume that your post means that you also do not have any disk
    >> activity for a while, or anything along those lines?
    >>
    >> Can you press Control+Alt+F1 and reach a virtual terminal? If not, can
    >> you press Alt+SysRq+k and does that do anything? Or, if that does not
    >> work, what about Alt+SysRq+b?
    >>
    >> Also, have you been able to use Hardy or any other previous Ubuntu
    >> release, or any other distribution of Linux on this particular system?
    >>
    >> --- Mike
    >>
    >> --
    >> My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    >> http://www.trausch.us/
    >>

    > I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to install
    > once but could not get wireless or the sound to work. So I want to try
    > 8.10

    The keystokes did not work.

    Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

  8. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:
    > "Dan C" wrote:
    >> Darkelldar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install,
    >>> It gets to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse
    >>> or keyboard. I have to power down the PC at the power supply
    >>> switch. Any ideas?

    >> Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like
    >> this.

    > So thats the help I get here. Thanks a lot.

    Dan C is a troll. Ignore it.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:
    > Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to
    > the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have
    > to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Did you check the md5sum before you burned the CD? Here are some that
    are shown on the ubuntu site. I believe that you can also check the
    md5sum of the CD itself, but depending on what OS you are using to view
    it, the commands are different.

    ea6d44667ea3fd435954d6e1f0e89122 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso
    f9e0494e91abb2de4929ef6e957f7753 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
    f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    8d35fea8c16597a6f4dd07f8e18e2166 *ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia.img
    e3028a105a083339be8e5af5afbe7444 *ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64.iso
    a2ec9975a91e1228c8292ed9799dc302 *ubuntu-8.10-server-i386.iso
    2796c696ab368415a30fddc8278e08b0 *wubi.exe

    Let the group know of your progress.

    JimR

  10. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "JimR" wrote in message
    > Darkelldar wrote:
    >> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to
    >> the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have
    >> to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > Did you check the md5sum before you burned the CD? Here are some that are
    > shown on the ubuntu site. I believe that you can also check the md5sum of
    > the CD itself, but depending on what OS you are using to view it, the
    > commands are different.
    >
    > ea6d44667ea3fd435954d6e1f0e89122 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso
    > f9e0494e91abb2de4929ef6e957f7753 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
    > f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    > 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    > 8d35fea8c16597a6f4dd07f8e18e2166 *ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia.img
    > e3028a105a083339be8e5af5afbe7444 *ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64.iso
    > a2ec9975a91e1228c8292ed9799dc302 *ubuntu-8.10-server-i386.iso
    > 2796c696ab368415a30fddc8278e08b0 *wubi.exe
    >
    > Let the group know of your progress.
    >
    > JimR

    24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso is the one I
    downloaded with BitTorrent. Burned the ISO with ISO recorder v3 on Vista.
    Did the CD check. No disk errors were found.

  11. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:59:09 -0600
    "Darkelldar" wrote:

    > The keystokes did not work.
    >
    > Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

    Okay. My next question would be to see if you can try to use the
    alternate CD and see if you get the problem when Intrepid is installed.

    If so, then boot into a recovery shell on the installed system (select
    "Recovery Mode" in at the boot screen). When it gives you a shell,
    bring up your Ethernet interface, and do:

    sudo apt-get install openssh-server

    This will let you login (say, using PuTTY) from another system. When
    the console appears to lock up in X11, you can SSH into the box and
    look to see if there are any issues logged in any of the following log
    files:

    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    /home/USER/.xsession-errors
    /var/log/messages
    /var/log/syslog

    You can type "less LOGFILE" to display the LOGFILE on screen, and press
    PG DOWN to get to the bottom of it. The relevant errors, if any,
    should be in the last two or three screens' worth of the files.

    If there *are* any errors or anything you're unsure of, please post
    that so that we can take a look at it.

    Also, if nobody here can help, I would recommend that you seek out your
    local Linux User Group or Ubuntu LoCo. Many are planning installfests
    and release parties (particularly the LoCos). You should be able to
    find someone that will be willing to take a look at it for you for the
    price of a cup of coffee or a six pack of beer or a case of soda, if
    that even.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  12. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600, Darkelldar wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to the
    >> screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to power
    >> down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like this.

    Halloween is over. Stop harassing people, Monk Dan!

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7

  13. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    > I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to
    > install once but could not get wireless or the sound to work. So I want
    > to try 8.10

    Mind to list the hardware in your PC?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7
    ^ ^ 11:03:01 up 3 days 11:22 2 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.08
    不*伅U! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):

  14. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    >> I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to
    >> install once but could not get wireless or the sound to work. So I want
    >> to try 8.10

    > Mind to list the hardware in your PC?

    GA-M51GM-S2G AM2 Motherboard
    Athlon 3200+ CPU
    2 Gig's DDR2 667 ram
    Maxtor 120 Gig Sata drive
    XfX 7300 GS 512mb Video card
    LG DVD burner IDE
    Standard 101 key PS2 keyboard
    Standard 3 button USB mouse

  15. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On 2008-11-01, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >> Yeah. Stick with Windoze. You're not ready for something like this.

    > That was wholly uncalled for.
    >
    > Head on over to comp.os.linux.advocacy, your type is quite welcome
    > there.

    I've heard that place is a sewer, and I don't bother with it.

    Bugger off.

  16. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On 2008-11-01, Darkelldar wrote:

    > The keystokes did not work.
    >
    > Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

    It *seems* like they stop responding, or they actually *do* stop
    responding?

  17. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-01, Darkelldar wrote:
    >
    >> The keystokes did not work.
    >>
    >> Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

    > It *seems* like they stop responding, or they actually *do* stop
    > responding?
    >

    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    They stop responding.

  18. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:57:21 -0600, Darkelldar wrote:

    >>> Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

    >> It *seems* like they stop responding, or they actually *do* stop
    >> responding?

    > They stop responding.

    Assuming you are using a USB mouse and KB, it sounds like your BIOS is not
    set up correctly to support "legacy" USB devices. You should fix that.

  19. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:
    > Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets
    > to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I
    > have to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Does your "just" downloaded mean that is all you did.

    How about the MD5SUM check to verify the download was good?

    Then did you also MD5SUM the burned CD-R to be sure it is a good burn?

    Finally, did you run the Check CD for Errors test when it booted?

    --
    John

  20. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:

    > "Dan C" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-11-01, Darkelldar wrote:
    >>
    >>> The keystokes did not work.
    >>>
    >>> Seems like the keyboard & mouse stop responding.

    >> It *seems* like they stop responding, or they actually *do* stop
    >> responding?
    >>

    >> --
    >> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    > They stop responding.

    They "stop" responding, or they never did respond?

    If they indeed did stop responding, then at what point?

    --
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast