Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install - Ubuntu ; Darkelldar wrote: > > "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in > message news:490bc724$0$90263$14726298@news.sunsite.dk... >>> I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to >>> install once but could not get wireless or the sound to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:

    > "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in
    > message news:490bc724$0$90263$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
    >>> I will try the keystrokes and see what happens. I did get Hardy to
    >>> install once but could not get wireless or the sound to work. So I want
    >>> to try 8.10

    >> Mind to list the hardware in your PC?

    > GA-M51GM-S2G AM2 Motherboard
    > Athlon 3200+ CPU
    > 2 Gig's DDR2 667 ram
    > Maxtor 120 Gig Sata drive
    > XfX 7300 GS 512mb Video card
    > LG DVD burner IDE
    > Standard 101 key PS2 keyboard
    > Standard 3 button USB mouse

    A "standard" keyboard usually has 102 or 104 keys. Did you select this
    as an option?

    Also, USB is known to be problematic. Do you have a PS/2 or serial mouse
    that you could try?

    If your CD is verifiably good, then you could try using a serial
    terminal to diagnose the progress.

    --
    John

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On 01 Nov 2008 04:25:37 GMT
    Dan C wrote:

    > Assuming you are using a USB mouse and KB, it sounds like your BIOS
    > is not set up correctly to support "legacy" USB devices. You should
    > fix that.

    Once Linux boots, legacy mode is shut of, and the kernel addresses the
    devices directly on the USB bus. USB legacy support is only used in
    16-bit real mode (i.e., at boot up time, and when you boot into DOS).

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:
    > Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to
    > the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have
    > to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    When your PC stop respoding, try pressing Alt-PrintScreen-B to reboot
    your PC.
    It it does not reboot, it's the kernel's problem.
    After the PC has booted into CD loader, press F6, delete the words
    'quiet splash' and boot the machine again. If you do not run into any
    problem now, it's no problem at all but usplash package. Otherwise, post
    the last few lines of console output here.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:34:45 +0800, Michael wrote:

    > Darkelldar wrote:
    >> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to
    >> the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have
    >> to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > When your PC stop respoding, try pressing Alt-PrintScreen-B to reboot
    > your PC.
    > It it does not reboot, it's the kernel's problem. After the PC has
    > booted into CD loader, press F6, delete the words 'quiet splash' and
    > boot the machine again. If you do not run into any problem now, it's no
    > problem at all but usplash package. Otherwise, post the last few lines
    > of console output here.

    The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to see a
    opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from the boot options on
    an installed system also.

    stonerfish

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On 01 Nov 2008 13:15:10 GMT
    jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to see a
    > In my opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from the boot
    > options on an installed system also.

    I would say that there should be a checkbox in the installer...

    but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages scrolling
    by, they think they're confusing. I do usually disable the "quiet"
    parameter, because the splash screen then presents useful information.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  6. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    > On 01 Nov 2008 13:15:10 GMT
    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >
    >> The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to see a
    >> In my opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from the boot
    >> options on an installed system also.

    > I would say that there should be a checkbox in the installer...
    >
    > but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages scrolling
    > by, they think they're confusing. I do usually disable the "quiet"
    > parameter, because the splash screen then presents useful information.
    >
    > --- Mike
    >
    > --
    > My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    > http://www.trausch.us/

    Thanks for all the info, I will try again with your suggestions and see what
    goes.
    I will report back with any findings.

  7. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:

    > "JimR" wrote in message
    >> Darkelldar wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets
    >>> to the screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I
    >>> have to power down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> Did you check the md5sum before you burned the CD? Here are some that
    >> are shown on the ubuntu site. I believe that you can also check the
    >> md5sum of the CD itself, but depending on what OS you are using to
    >> view it, the commands are different.
    >>
    >> ea6d44667ea3fd435954d6e1f0e89122 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso
    >> f9e0494e91abb2de4929ef6e957f7753 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
    >> f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    >> 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    >> 8d35fea8c16597a6f4dd07f8e18e2166 *ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia.img
    >> e3028a105a083339be8e5af5afbe7444 *ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64.iso
    >> a2ec9975a91e1228c8292ed9799dc302 *ubuntu-8.10-server-i386.iso
    >> 2796c696ab368415a30fddc8278e08b0 *wubi.exe
    >>
    >> Let the group know of your progress.
    >>
    >> JimR

    > 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso is the
    > one I downloaded with BitTorrent. Burned the ISO with ISO recorder v3 on
    > Vista. Did the CD check. No disk errors were found.

    Darkelldar

    I am still suspecting that you have a bad burned CD. This is exactly
    the behavior that would happen in that case (although to be fair,there
    are probably other causes that would exhibit that effect as well.)

    As John said, can you do a md5sum on the CD itself? If you can mount it
    on a Linux system, the command is just md5sum /dev/sr0 (or whatever
    device you CD reader is).

    When you boot the CD, one of the options is to check the CD for errors.
    Have you tried that? Does it run, or does it hang just like the
    Live/Install?

    Alternatively, burn another iso CD on Vista. There is probably a
    "verify" option of some sort. Try it.

    JimR

  8. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:27:47 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >> The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to see a
    >> my opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from the boot options
    >> on an installed system also.

    No doubt.

    > but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages scrolling
    > by, they think they're confusing.

    How would you know what "most" users want? Have you polled them all?

    Now, your statement might be true here in this particular newsgroup, now
    that you mention it... Hmmm... *Certainly* not true with other distros.

    > I do usually disable the "quiet" parameter, because the splash screen

    then presents useful information.

    Ummm, yeah. Isn't that what the other guy already said?

  9. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On 01 Nov 2008 16:18:13 GMT
    Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:27:47 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >
    > >> The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to
    > >> see a loading bar, instead of watching the kernel messages at boot
    > >> time. In my opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from
    > >> the boot options on an installed system also.

    > No doubt.
    >
    > > but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages
    > > scrolling by, they think they're confusing.

    > How would you know what "most" users want? Have you polled them all?

    I work with end-users all the time. They are easily confused by the
    combination of their lack of knowledge of what fast-scrolling messages
    are telling them and their lack of desire to learn. They often feel
    better with a progress indicator and shorter, more meaningful (to them)
    messages.

    > Now, your statement might be true here in this particular newsgroup,
    > now that you mention it... Hmmm... *Certainly* not true with other
    > distros.

    A Gentoo user is not your average end-user, nor is a Slackware user.
    One of the identifying attributes commonly found in users of these
    distributions is the desire to have extremely tight control over what
    is installed on their system. They're going to be more prone to want
    to see boot-time messages and so forth.

    > > I do usually disable the "quiet" parameter, because the splash
    > > screen

    > then presents useful information.
    >
    > Ummm, yeah. Isn't that what the other guy already said?

    No. Read more carefully. When you disable the splash screen you get
    _lots_ of information that you can't read as it scrolls by. This
    information is stored in /var/log, so if it is needed it can be read
    later.

    Hell, *I* am not an end-user. But I honestly only want to see verbose
    kernel messages when something is wrong. When everything is working, I
    don't want nor need to see them; the more brief messages on the splash
    screen with the quiet option are more meaningful for an indication of
    how far along the boot process is.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  10. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    > On 01 Nov 2008 16:18:13 GMT
    > Dan C wrote:

    >> No doubt.
    >>
    >> > but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages
    >> > scrolling by, they think they're confusing.

    >> How would you know what "most" users want? Have you polled them all?
    >>

    > I work with end-users all the time. They are easily confused by the
    > combination of their lack of knowledge of what fast-scrolling messages
    > are telling them and their lack of desire to learn. They often feel
    > better with a progress indicator and shorter, more meaningful (to them)
    > messages.
    >

    >> Now, your statement might be true here in this particular newsgroup,
    >> now that you mention it... Hmmm... *Certainly* not true with other
    >> distros.
    >>

    > A Gentoo user is not your average end-user, nor is a Slackware user.
    > One of the identifying attributes commonly found in users of these
    > distributions is the desire to have extremely tight control over what
    > is installed on their system. They're going to be more prone to want
    > to see boot-time messages and so forth.
    >
    >> > I do usually disable the "quiet" parameter, because the splash
    >> > screen

    >> then presents useful information.
    >>
    >> Ummm, yeah. Isn't that what the other guy already said?
    >>

    > No. Read more carefully. When you disable the splash screen you get
    > _lots_ of information that you can't read as it scrolls by. This
    > information is stored in /var/log, so if it is needed it can be read
    > later.
    >
    > Hell, *I* am not an end-user. But I honestly only want to see verbose
    > kernel messages when something is wrong. When everything is working, I
    > don't want nor need to see them; the more brief messages on the splash
    > screen with the quiet option are more meaningful for an indication of
    > how far along the boot process is.
    >
    > --- Mike
    >
    > --
    > My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    > http://www.trausch.us/

    I much perfer to see what is loading rather than a splash screen so I am in
    the dark when things go wrong.

    By the way still working on this problrm.

  11. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    "JimR" wrote in message
    > Darkelldar wrote:
    >>
    >> "JimR" wrote in message

    >>> Did you check the md5sum before you burned the CD? Here are some that
    >>> are shown on the ubuntu site. I believe that you can also check the
    >>> md5sum of the CD itself, but depending on what OS you are using to view
    >>> it, the commands are different.
    >>>
    >>> ea6d44667ea3fd435954d6e1f0e89122 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso
    >>> f9e0494e91abb2de4929ef6e957f7753 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
    >>> f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    >>> 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    >>> 8d35fea8c16597a6f4dd07f8e18e2166 *ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia.img
    >>> e3028a105a083339be8e5af5afbe7444 *ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64.iso
    >>> a2ec9975a91e1228c8292ed9799dc302 *ubuntu-8.10-server-i386.iso
    >>> 2796c696ab368415a30fddc8278e08b0 *wubi.exe
    >>>
    >>> Let the group know of your progress.
    >>>
    >>> JimR

    >> 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso is the one
    >> I downloaded with BitTorrent. Burned the ISO with ISO recorder v3 on
    >> Vista. Did the CD check. No disk errors were found.
    >>

    > Darkelldar
    >
    > I am still suspecting that you have a bad burned CD. This is exactly the
    > behavior that would happen in that case (although to be fair,there are
    > probably other causes that would exhibit that effect as well.)
    >
    > As John said, can you do a md5sum on the CD itself? If you can mount it
    > on a Linux system, the command is just md5sum /dev/sr0 (or whatever device
    > you CD reader is).
    >
    > When you boot the CD, one of the options is to check the CD for errors.
    > Have you tried that? Does it run, or does it hang just like the
    > Live/Install?
    >
    > Alternatively, burn another iso CD on Vista. There is probably a "verify"
    > option of some sort. Try it.
    >
    > JimR

    The CD checks out OK, I still have the 8.04 ISO in my downloads folder so I
    made the disk and it has booted the Live CD fine.

    I am now downloading the 8.10 alternate ISO from a diffrent mirror and will
    try that.

    Also when booting up with the splash screen off there were no errors all
    hardware loaded OK, It locks up loading the desktop.

  12. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:03:08 -0600, "Darkelldar" wrote:

    >Just downloaded 8.10 and it won't run the LiveCD or install, It gets to the
    >screen with the Ibex art and locks up. No mouse or keyboard. I have to power
    >down the PC at the power supply switch.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Try installing directly from the menu instead of running the live CD.
    You may have already done this; I'm unsure from your post. Also, I
    had a similar problem with one computer on my initial Ubuntu install.
    The problem was cured with a BIOS upgrade.

    Roy

    ---
    "When the president does it that means that it is not illegal."
    -- Richard Nixon

  13. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Darkelldar wrote:

    > Also when booting up with the splash screen off there were no errors all
    > hardware loaded OK, It locks up loading the desktop.

    From my experience would seem to indicate that this is a problem with
    xwindow configuration.....have you an xorg.conf (etc/X11/xorg.conf) that
    worked in v8.04 kicking around? If so you can try, backing up v8.10
    xorg.conf and then copying the v8.04 to the same directory.....or do a
    visual comparison between the two for anything obvious.

    Hope you get up and running really soon! :-)

  14. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 won't Install

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 10:27:47 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >
    >>> The "quiet splash" options are lame. Why would someone want to see a
    >>> my opinion, "quiet splash" should also be removed from the boot options
    >>> on an installed system also.

    > No doubt.
    >
    >> but most end-users do *not* want to see the kernel messages scrolling
    >> by, they think they're confusing.

    > How would you know what "most" users want? Have you polled them all?

    Well, not that it really matters to me but since this is a desktop
    environment were talking about, then a graphical boot loader is surely
    to be found. I'm guessing that most typical desktop users (not Linux
    power users) wouldn't even know what all that was scrolling by at
    blazing speeds. They wouldn't know what it was on Windows either.

    > Now, your statement might be true here in this particular newsgroup, now
    > that you mention it... Hmmm... *Certainly* not true with other distros.
    >
    >> I do usually disable the "quiet" parameter, because the splash screen

    > then presents useful information.
    >
    > Ummm, yeah. Isn't that what the other guy already said?

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

+ Reply to Thread