Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk? - Ubuntu ; I am using a HP 1825 lcd sreeen. It seems it is not correctly detected by Ubuntu. The resolution is fixed at 800x600 while the monitor is capable of 1280x1024. Upto Ubuntu 8.04 I just could do a "sudo displayconfig-gtk", ...

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk?

    I am using a HP 1825 lcd sreeen. It seems it is not
    correctly detected by Ubuntu. The resolution is fixed at
    800x600 while the monitor is capable of 1280x1024.

    Upto Ubuntu 8.04 I just could do a "sudo displayconfig-gtk",
    and select the right monitor. However, in "8.10" this is
    no longer the case. The command is not found. Trying to
    install this with apt-get results in a message saying the
    package is obsolete. It seems the package is removed from
    "8.10".

    This is really not good. There is simply NO way to manually
    choose a monitor if autodetect does not work well. You have
    to dive deep and edit as root the xorg.conf file by hand.
    The problem however is that xorg.conf is not loger used
    standard by xorg. The monitor and videocard are configured
    elswhere (no - I don't know where that could be). You have
    to override the auto(?) settings in xorg.conf. The simplest
    way to do this is to copy an old xorg.conf file from another
    distro and replace the original Ubuntu xorg.conf file.
    Possabilities are high you have to adjust this file to fit
    the settings for Ubuntu.

    I finally got it working, but I have some experience. I am
    sure a lot of people that never have edited a xorg.conf file
    will soon give up and throw Ubuntu 8.10 in the nearest waste
    bin. And that's a shame...

    This is a serious problem. I have no easy answer to it.
    Anybody else?

    John.

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk?

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > have to override the auto(?) settings in xorg.conf. The simplest way to
    > do this is to copy an old xorg.conf file from another distro and replace
    > the original Ubuntu xorg.conf file.

    That's been my SOP for the last couple of versions of Ubuntu I've
    installed on my older Dell laptop. The default MEPIS 7 xorg.conf that's
    sitting on a separate partition has worked just fine in 8.04 and 8.10.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk?

    John Kloosterman wrote:

    > The simplest
    > way to do this is to copy an old xorg.conf file from another
    > distro and replace the original Ubuntu xorg.conf file.

    Not exactly. If you replace the line/section...

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"

    .... with something that was correctly identified and correctly configured
    by another distro, such as..

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "LM-1702"

    .... accompanied by its proprerly working values for the other distro, that
    won't work in Ub810 because the 'configured monitor' part needs to stay
    the same in Ub for some reason or another. You can put the values for the
    LM-1702 into the xorg.conf, but you can't call the monitor by its name
    other than configured monitor. At least that didn't work for me. I
    needed to keep its name 'configured monitor' instead of lm-1702, which
    actually means _unconfigured_ monitor.

    Ub still hasn't got it together - in my experience - with getting some
    popular LCD monitors identified, whereas lots and lots of other distros
    such as Mepis, Mandriva, Freespire, etc don't have any trouble getting
    things setup without having to hand edit the xorg.conf file.

    To me, the Ub810 ScreenResolution tool is completely worthless (if your
    monitor wasn't recognized by the auto process), and has no useful
    information or configuration options in it, and looks nothing like the
    screenshots you see for people who had their monitors properly recognized
    by Ub. If Ub recognizes the monitor or monitors, presumably the screenrez
    tool is useful, otherwise it is garbage full of useless options and menus.
    You need a tool that you can just feed the monitor's values from the
    factory. Not xorg.conf, because its structure is inferior.

    > Possabilities are high you have to adjust this file to fit
    > the settings for Ubuntu.

    > This is a serious problem. I have no easy answer to it.
    > Anybody else?

    I don't copy all of the xorg.conf file from something like Mepis, just
    parts of it.

    In addition, even after hand crafting the xorg.conf file to match the
    monitor's specs, the choices in the Refresh rate in the menu in screen
    resolution don't match the values I configure in the xorg.conf file. I
    guess you would need to control the refresh rate with a specific command,
    because the graphical tool for it doesn't create its menu from the
    xorg.conf file values.

    This is an area in which the people who are going to be able to handle the
    Ub screenrez problems the best are going to be doing it with commandlines,
    not graphical tools. The Ub graphical tools are weak and ineffectual
    unless they already have the correct configuration values based on
    hardware recognition and compatibility, in which case you don't need them
    anyway.

    That is, I have more trouble with screen resolution problems in Ub than
    any other distro I've tried, of about a dozen or so and the Ubs 606-810.
    These aren't 'tricky' monitors or cards. They are simple basically
    generic LCD 1280x1024. Ub's problem is that it tries to use H&V freq/s
    which don't work, so it quits trying to work on the proper rez and drops
    back to 800x600. The user/installer has no useful control during the
    install to make the right configuration even if s/he knows every single
    parameter of the monitor. The user can boot with a set of values in the
    boot commandline, but they won't (necessarily) be used by Ub when it is
    trying to find the video.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:40:08 +0100, John Kloosterman wrote:

    > I am using a HP 1825 lcd sreeen. It seems it is not correctly detected
    > by Ubuntu. The resolution is fixed at 800x600 while the monitor is
    > capable of 1280x1024.
    >
    > Upto Ubuntu 8.04 I just could do a "sudo displayconfig-gtk",
    > and select the right monitor. However, in "8.10" this is
    > no longer the case. The command is not found. Trying to install this
    > with apt-get results in a message saying the package is obsolete. It
    > seems the package is removed from "8.10".

    I mentioned this here a couple of weeks ago now when the beta's became
    available and was hoping that it would be included in the final release.
    Right now I am pretty pissed off because it isn't are included in either
    Ubuntu or Kubuntu....and to make things just f**cking great it would
    appear that ndiswrapper isn't included in the Ubuntu LiveCD install
    either! Both of my boxes (laptop and desktop) are stuck in 800x600 right
    now and no wireless for the desktop. I am quite familiar with the process
    of fixing the screen resolution problem but it's proving to be a lot of
    dicking around to do so.

    I checked the Ubuntu.com forums earlier and there's participants
    complaining of the same issues there too.

    As an aside.........Kubuntu's new Adept package manager GUI is still in
    beta and doesn't seem to work a damn on searches. Would be interested in
    hearing of anyone here who is using it bug free.....could be I have a bum
    install but I don't think so.

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 has no displayconfig-gtk?

    propman wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:40:08 +0100, John Kloosterman wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a HP 1825 lcd sreeen. It seems it is not correctly detected
    >> by Ubuntu. The resolution is fixed at 800x600 while the monitor is
    >> capable of 1280x1024.
    >>
    >> Upto Ubuntu 8.04 I just could do a "sudo displayconfig-gtk",
    >> and select the right monitor. However, in "8.10" this is
    >> no longer the case. The command is not found. Trying to install this
    >> with apt-get results in a message saying the package is obsolete. It
    >> seems the package is removed from "8.10".
    >>

    > I mentioned this here a couple of weeks ago now when the beta's became
    > available and was hoping that it would be included in the final release.
    > Right now I am pretty pissed off because it isn't are included in either
    > Ubuntu or Kubuntu....and to make things just f**cking great it would
    > appear that ndiswrapper isn't included in the Ubuntu LiveCD install
    > either! Both of my boxes (laptop and desktop) are stuck in 800x600 right
    > now and no wireless for the desktop. I am quite familiar with the process
    > of fixing the screen resolution problem but it's proving to be a lot of
    > dicking around to do so.
    >
    > I checked the Ubuntu.com forums earlier and there's participants
    > complaining of the same issues there too.
    >
    > As an aside.........Kubuntu's new Adept package manager GUI is still in
    > beta and doesn't seem to work a damn on searches. Would be interested in
    > hearing of anyone here who is using it bug free.....could be I have a bum
    > install but I don't think so.

    I tried Kubuntu also. I really like the direction KDE4 is
    going (I know a lot of people do not), but the way it is
    implemented in Kubuntu is straighforward terrible.

    A lot of applications just don't work. You can't install the
    nvidia drivers because the hardwaremanager works in user
    mode. You have to assign a root password, log in (in a
    terminal) as root and start the hardwaremanager from the
    command line. Notice sudo wont work! You really have to log
    in as root! Finally I started up the package manager (I
    agree fully about the remarks you make about being beta) and
    installed the drivers that way.

    Even then there is no way to set a LCD 1280x1024 monitor if
    the automatic detection went wrong. You have to edit
    xorg.conf by hand. Only that would scare any newbie away...

    Don't get me wrong - I have nothing agains Ubuntu/Kubuntu,
    but I get the feeling it is dropping more and more
    configuration options. Is the distro becoming less user
    friendly because they want it to "dumb down" so anyone can
    use it, but overshoot? It seems like it.

    I know it is not nice to name other distro's, but if
    Mandriva, SUSE etc. are able to deliver a very usable and
    enjoyable implementation of KDE 4.1 (and Gnome too), then
    why is Kubuntu lacking so bad in this region? It makes no
    sense. It looks like they try to scare people away from KDE
    by making it so horrible nobody will use it. I know KDE is a
    stepchild for the Ubuntu comunity, but this is becoming
    rediculous.

    John.

+ Reply to Thread