My employer completed migration of apps to Linux - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on My employer completed migration of apps to Linux - Ubuntu ; After takin' a swig o' grog, The Natural Philosopher belched out this bit o' wisdom: > dennis@home wrote: >> >> Define long, they certainly maintain them for longer than the page >> transfer time. > > They don't. Unless the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 241 to 250 of 250

  1. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Natural Philosopher belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >> Define long, they certainly maintain them for longer than the page
    >> transfer time.

    > They don't. Unless the browser at the other end is badly configured and
    > aborts the transaction. Once its recieved its page it shuts the connection.

    So let's check it out for Firefox (Iceweasel

    Whoa! Never saw this before:

    This might void your warranty!
    Changing these advanced setting can be harmful to the stability,
    security, and performance of this application...
    [ ] Sow this warning next time
    Button: I'll be careful, I promise!

    Anyway:

    network.http-keep-alive is set to true, with a timeout of 300 (seconds, I
    assume).

    network.http.request.max-start-delay is set to 10 (seconds)

    The latter is about the amount of time iceweasel keeps a connection to
    Google ESTABLISHED. But changing it doesn't change the connection time.

    However, if I falsify network.http-keep-alive, the connection immediately
    goes into TIME_WAIT.

    --
    Nasrudin returned to his village from the imperial capital, and the villagers
    gathered around to hear what had passed. "At this time," said Nasrudin, "I

  2. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Natural Philosopher belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> They are open for about 9 seconds longer than they need to be on my
    >> machine.
    >>

    > That more likely a function of the way netstat interacts with the kernel.

    After a little bit of monkeying around with Firefox settings, that seems
    plausible to me.

    It's interesting running netstat while connecting to att.com; yeesh!

    I remember there was a reasonable Linux GUI equivalent to TcpView, but I
    can't recall its name. Do you know?

    --
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

  3. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-07, dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >> "Joe" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> That is not "Installing". That is running a recovery image. Dell
    >>> ships these for Ubuntu, as well.
    >>>
    >>> For a ground-up installation, though, in most cases, Ubuntu is much
    >>> quicker and easier to install that Windows. A full Windows install
    >>> includes over an hour of waiting for the initial install, then waiting
    >>> while hardware is detected, swapping disks several times (should you
    >>> have all of them) to get the drivers installed, hitting the internet
    >>> to add the current drivers for the devices you don't have the disks
    >>> for, another chunk of time to run Windows update, then the install of
    >>> your antivirus and anti-spyware software. Now you are at a point
    >>> where you can undertake the tedious task of installing all of the apps
    >>> you use, one at a time, with 20 user dialog boxes during the install.

    >> That isn't how to install windows.
    >> You boot vista, select install, answer four or five questions, wait 35
    >> mins.
    >> *if* it hasn't recognised you network card, install the drivers.
    >> Let it run windows update to get the remaining drivers.
    >> Then add AV (avg or avast).

    > Bull****. I installed Vista Ultimate on a PC at my parent's house.
    > Intel CoreDuo, 2 GB of RAM. The inital install took over an hour,

    You must have something very slow in that system.
    Have you checked the SMART status on the disks?
    The only machine I had that was really slower than it should have been was
    spending ages accessing a disk that had lots of seek errors. Funny enough
    that was a core duo notebook last week that was being sold as ex-display not
    knackered.

    > and
    > Windows update did not have the video drivers (nvidia), the system
    > board drivers, or the Sound Card drivers. Needed to download each
    > one, as the disks we had were for XP.

    What models and when?
    That will allow me to see if the drivers were on update.
    Mine were BTW, nvidia 8400.
    You did notice that if the drivers weren't there windows told you where to
    look and what for.
    As for why it took over an hour.. slow pc, mine is a core duo too, maybe you
    need a better disk?

    >>> Now, after several hours, you have a working box. Then you get to put
    >>> it on the internet to find out that your virus defs from this morning
    >>> do not cover that new virus you just got, and you get to mess with
    >>> that.

    >> Odd that soem of use have never had a virus even though we are on the
    >> Internet all the time.
    >> Some users must be far more susceptible to virus infections than others,
    >> just as they are likely to answer phishing emails.

    > Older folks are very succeptable to viruses. All they use the PC for
    > is e-mail and web browsing, and the e-mails that they share with each
    > other are almost always the crap that's been forwarded 30 times and
    > has all sorts of fun attachments. Considering what I do for a living,
    > like most IT people, I end up supporting the PC usage of everyone in
    > my family.

    They are also susceptible to the phishing emails and stuff like that which
    requires education to fix.

    >>> The biggest problem in an Ubuntu install is getting some newer
    >>> hardware to work due to lack of sufficient drivers. This has gotten
    >>> much better, but it is still an issue, especially with a new laptop.
    >>> It can be frustrating, but in most cases a few minutes of research
    >>> will yield positive results, and you're on your way.

    >> Yes, but it takes knowledge of what you actually have to find the
    >> answers,
    >> lots of people don't know what a NIC is or if they have an nvidia 8400M
    >> graphics chip.
    >> They don't need to with windows, they do with Ubuntu.

    > They don't need to know which graphics chip with Linux, either. You
    > MAY need to know the specific card model, though, with either OS. You
    > go to the nvidia or ATI web site, and you browse by model.
    >
    > For Linux, though, there is EnvyNG, which does everything for you. It
    > detects the chipset, downloads and installs the correct driver, then
    > recommends a reboot because of the changes to the kernel image.
    > Pretty simple...

    Nvidia and ati both do detect and install for windows too.
    Not that you need it.

    >>> My desktop came with Vista installed. It took 30 minutes, from
    >>> beginning to end, to remedy that. Same with the kids' desktop. My
    >>> laptop took a little longer, because the Atheros 5006 Wireless
    >>> adapter wasn't supported by madwifi at the time, and I had to hunt
    >>> down XP drivers to get it to work under ndiswrapper. Total time:
    >>> about 45 minutes.

    >> Try that with someone that doesn't know what Atheros is.
    >>

    > They don't deserve to own the laptop then, since it is on a large
    > sticker on the lower left of the keyboard wrist rest.
    >
    > And while it came pre-loaded with Windows, the Atheros driver is NOT
    > automatically installed by a stock Windows install, either. You
    > either need the CD or a downloaded driver.

    Which windows?
    Maybe the seven year old XP?
    Its quite amusing how people use a seven year old OS to compare Linux too,
    is linux really that dated?

    8<

    >>> I am not one of those Linux purists. Windows has done plenty of
    >>> things OK. The UI on XP was decent, and XP was fairly reliable, so
    >>> long as you kept it clean of viruses. Vista, on the other hand, is a
    >>> pain in the ass. I have it on one machine, and I've gotten to the
    >>> point that I have it auto log on and run Windows Media Center at boot.
    >>> My only interaction with it is through a remote control, except for
    >>> the annoyance of needing to reboot it every couple of days when Media
    >>> Center locks and won't start back up right without a boot.

    >> So what's wrong with it then?

    > Not a damned thing is wrong with it. Running Mint, it ran forever and
    > a day. Installed Vista, and it started acting up. Likely a
    > problematic device driver, as most lockups are...

    >> My vista MCE machine has been running for months and never locks up.
    >> I can trust it to record TV without any bother.
    >> If yours is so unreliable there is something wrong with it and it needs
    >> fixing.

    > Sure does. It needs MythBuntu instead of Windows.
    >
    >> Mine is an ancient Shuttle with a Hauppauge pci and a Hauppauge USB tuner
    >> providing the two channels.
    >> Vista is running in 1G RAM with two 250g drives and a 8G stick to provide
    >> readyboost, which reduces paging.

    > Proud of you. Mine is newer than that, more HD space, but no
    > readyboost.
    >>

    >>> As soon as I build a new machine for the Entertainment system, with
    >>> hardware fully compatible with MythBuntu, Vista will be eliminated
    >>> from my house.

    >> Why not build new hardware to fix your vista machine?

    > There's nothing wrong with the hardware that's in there now. Like I
    > said, probably drivers, but Vista sure doesn't make things any better.
    > Hell, if I had a copy of XP MCE sitting around, I'd wipe it and switch
    > to that.

    I wouldn't.
    I replaced that.
    Vista is far better than XPmce.

    >> And which newbie is going to install and get MythTV to work?
    >> Remember most windows users are newbies.

    > I don't care about them when it comes to MY machine...
    >
    > Also, distribution-based Myth isn't that hard to set up and configure.
    > It may take someone that is inexperienced a bit more time, but it
    > isn't that rough. If you take the defaults in the MythBuntu setup,
    > and you have fairly standard equipment, it just goes.
    >

    >>> And I've yet to go to any business with more than 10 users that has
    >>> ANY copies of Vista running. They are all sticking with XP.

    >> That is sensible.
    >> They already have systems in place and there is no point in replacing
    >> them.
    >> M$ know this and allow people to use XP on the Vista license as they
    >> allowed
    >> 200 on their XP license and 3.1 on 95 in the past.
    >>

    > You are missing the point, though. When they talk about how many
    > copies of Vista they have sold, they count all of these machines that
    > have NEVER run Vista.

    They talk about how many vista licenses have been sold.

    > We are replacing all of our lower-end PIII's and P4's slowly, but
    > surely. at least a few hundred machines per month. They all have an
    > XP image put on them, but each of the machines has a Vista image.
    > That's where the bogus sales figures come from.
    >
    > Vista is a piece of junk.

    Vista works very well.
    It has some differences but nothing really bad.

  4. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:uj7Rk.57892$kh2.15335@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..

    > Sure he's wrong. HTTP connections are normally transitory. He claimed
    > they
    > were all permanent.

    No he did not which makes you wrong.

  5. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, dennis@home belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:uj7Rk.57892$kh2.15335@bignews3.bellsouth.net. ..
    >
    >> Sure he's wrong. HTTP connections are normally transitory. He claimed
    >> they were all permanent.

    > No he did not which makes you wrong.

    I thought you did originally.

    My bad.

    --
    I'll say it again for the logic impaired.
    -- Larry Wall

  6. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:55:20 -0500, TJ in comp.os.linux.misc wrote:
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >> I bet snipe uses Java too, OpenOffice uses Java.
    >>

    > Ya know, I was going to bring that up, but it's been a looong time since
    > I looked into it and I didn't know for sure if it was still true.

    Geez have none of you guys heard of trimming attributions ? 8-D

    Anyway it's was my understanding that OOo doesn't require JAVA to run. I
    have in the past installed it without JAVA being required -- Of course some
    functionality was lost.

  7. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    After takin' a swig o' grog, S.D.Allen belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:55:20 -0500, TJ in comp.os.linux.misc wrote:
    >> dennis@home wrote:
    >>> I bet snipe uses Java too, OpenOffice uses Java.
    >>>

    >> Ya know, I was going to bring that up, but it's been a looong time since
    >> I looked into it and I didn't know for sure if it was still true.

    > Geez have none of you guys heard of trimming attributions ? 8-D
    >
    > Anyway it's was my understanding that OOo doesn't require JAVA to run. I
    > have in the past installed it without JAVA being required -- Of course some
    > functionality was lost.

    OOo seems to use Python a fair bit, too.

    --
    There is an order of things in this universe.
    -- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1

  8. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

    > That is absolutely the weakest argument I have ever heard.

    You are a clueless troll - now suitably plonked.

    C.

  9. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Larry Page belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "dennis@home" writes:
    >>
    >>> "The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message

    >>> The browser opens and closes the connection and most modern browsers
    >>> will keep the connection open knowing that it is a big overhead to
    >>> open and close connections like they used to do in the dark ages.

    >> No they don't. If they did most servers would saturate in no time at
    >> all.

    >>> Define long, they certainly maintain them for longer than the page
    >>> transfer time.

    >> They most certainly do not.

    > Don't confuse MD5 Dennis (aka "dumbass@home") with facts.

    ;-)

  10. Re: My employer completed migration of apps to Linux

    "Christopher Hunter" wrote in message

    >> Don't confuse MD5 Dennis (aka "dumbass@home") with facts.

    > ;-)

    Here making a fool of yourself again I see.
    Maybe if you had a clue or had read the rest of the thread you would know I
    was correct.
    You sure know how to look stupid.