ndiswrapper and intrepid - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ndiswrapper and intrepid - Ubuntu ; Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop.... .....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to repo sources, updated blah blah). Can anyone ...

  1. ndiswrapper and intrepid

    Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....

    .....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    repo sources, updated blah blah).

    Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

  2. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:32:46 +0000, propman wrote:

    > Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >
    > ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    > ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    > repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >
    > Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    Helps if you give a bit more detail about what card you have, and what
    driver you installed, plus what ndiswrapper commands you issues. Oh and
    WHAT did you add to your repo list ?????

  3. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 20:27:25 +0000, UK-Newbie wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:32:46 +0000, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >>
    >> ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    >> ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    >> repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >>
    >> Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    > Helps if you give a bit more detail about what card you have, and what
    > driver you installed, plus what ndiswrapper commands you issues. Oh and
    > WHAT did you add to your repo list ?????

    I appreciate your answering but what card etc I have has absolutely no
    bearing on what my question is...that is, ndiswrapper does not appear to
    be part of the LiveCD install. If I can't use my wireless then the repos
    except for the option of using the LiveCD as one immaterial.

  4. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    propman wrote:
    > Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >
    > ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    > ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    > repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >
    > Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    It's not. My wireless was detected out-of-the-box, but was dog slow.
    However, I was able to pull down the three ndiswrapper files and install
    via Synaptic. Once Ibex was set up to use the Windows drivers my
    connection was back up to speed.

    Might need to use a wired connection temporarily to get ndiswrapper
    installed.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  5. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:03:31 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >> Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >>
    >> ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    >> ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    >> repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >>
    >> Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    > It's not. My wireless was detected out-of-the-box, but was dog slow.
    > However, I was able to pull down the three ndiswrapper files and install
    > via Synaptic. Once Ibex was set up to use the Windows drivers my
    > connection was back up to speed.

    Thanks for the update, Mark....much appreciated! Good to hear that you
    managed to solve your problem quickly too. :-)

    > Might need to use a wired connection temporarily to get ndiswrapper
    > installed.

    Only have wireless access....I know how to do it but it's turning into a
    lot of dicking around (ie got to fix this before fixing that scenario).

    Again my thanks. :-)

  6. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    UK-Newbie wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:32:46 +0000, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >>
    >> ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    >> ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added to
    >> repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >>
    >> Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    > Helps if you give a bit more detail about what card you have, and what
    > driver you installed, plus what ndiswrapper commands you issues. Oh and
    > WHAT did you add to your repo list ?????

    I believe he is asking if ndiswrapper is included with the LiveCD or not.

  7. Re: ndiswrapper and intrepid

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:15:26 +0000, propman wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:03:31 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >>> Just did a fresh install of intrepid on my desktop....
    >>>
    >>> ....no automatic install of my wireless unit and so went to do a
    >>> ndiswrapper install.....not installed and not found on LiveCD (added
    >>> to repo sources, updated blah blah).
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone confirm it hasn't been included with the intrepid LiveCD?

    >> It's not. My wireless was detected out-of-the-box, but was dog slow.
    >> However, I was able to pull down the three ndiswrapper files and
    >> install via Synaptic. Once Ibex was set up to use the Windows drivers
    >> my connection was back up to speed.
    >>

    > Thanks for the update, Mark....much appreciated! Good to hear that you
    > managed to solve your problem quickly too. :-)
    >
    >> Might need to use a wired connection temporarily to get ndiswrapper
    >> installed.

    > Only have wireless access....I know how to do it but it's turning into a
    > lot of dicking around (ie got to fix this before fixing that scenario).
    >
    > Again my thanks. :-)

    If the wireless card isnt seen natively by your linux OS, either from the
    live disc or after installing. Then you need to install ndiswrapper,
    which isnt installed by default.

    The original post stated "no automatic install of my wireless unit" so
    basically ibex didnt have a native driver for the card. If ibex had seen
    the card (and had a driver) it would have installed it. Hence why he
    would have needed to install ndiswrapper.

+ Reply to Thread