Linux file system overhead - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux file system overhead - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:13:32 -0400, Tony Sivori wrote: > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:26:08 -0500, CBFalconer wrote: >> >> I understand he is in jail for murder. This may be apocryphal. > > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../a/2008/08/29/ BAIQ12KT15.DTL From the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Linux file system overhead

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:13:32 -0400, Tony Sivori wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:26:08 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >> I understand he is in jail for murder. This may be apocryphal.

    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../a/2008/08/29/

    BAIQ12KT15.DTL

    From the link:
    Reiser paused as his face darkened and he appeared to
    become emotional. "And I am very sorry for the terrible
    harm I've caused my children. I'll try to contribute to
    society while in prison."

    The "contribute to society" part to mean he will continue with
    development. I was joking about the snail mail comment, but still
    wonder, "Does he have internet access?"

    stonerfish

  2. Re: Linux file system overhead

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:22:45 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Tony Sivori wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Sivori
    >> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

    > Note that, for unknown reasons, Google doesn't accept posts to
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    Thank you google. I would like the search functionality, but do not miss
    the extra idiots.

    sf

  3. Re: Linux file system overhead

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 03:50:15 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > From the link:
    > Reiser paused as his face darkened and he appeared to become
    > emotional. "And I am very sorry for the terrible harm I've caused
    > my children. I'll try to contribute to society while in prison."
    >
    > The "contribute to society" part to mean he will continue with
    > development. I was joking about the snail mail comment, but still
    > wonder, "Does he have internet access?"

    I doubt it seriously.

    Since I was using ReiserFS at the time of his arrest and conviction, it
    was of substantial interest to me. At first, Hans was saying that Namesys
    would carry on. That didn't last long. Then Hans tried to sell Namesys. No
    buyer was found. The Russian programmers that were the only employees
    stopped getting paid. So they stopped working.

    Some of ReiserFS most prominent users, such as Suse Linux ditched ReiserFS
    like the hot potato it had become. Imagine the bad publicity of using a
    product from a convicted wife killer. No sane company wants that.

    It's possible that someone will pick up the GPL code and continue
    development. It is possible that Hans will be allowed to code from his
    cell. I consider both of those possibilities to be very unlikely.

    I think it is likely that ReiserFS is no longer commercially viable, Hans
    will not be allowed to continue to develop it from San Quentin Prison, and
    ReiserFS will eventually fade away.