Playing Media - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Playing Media - Ubuntu ; Finally got ubuntu installed and first thing i put a dvd in and it wouldnt play. The computer is not connected to the internet to download codecs so I coulnd't do anything. What do I have to get/do so that ...

  1. Playing Media

    Finally got ubuntu installed and first thing i put a dvd in and it
    wouldnt play. The computer is not connected to the internet to download
    codecs so I coulnd't do anything. What do I have to get/do so that
    it plays dvds and xvid?

  2. Re: Playing Media

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:41:33 +0900
    fatsteve wrote:

    > Finally got ubuntu installed and first thing i put a dvd in and it
    > wouldnt play. The computer is not connected to the internet to
    > download codecs so I coulnd't do anything. What do I have to get/do
    > so that it plays dvds and xvid?

    You will need to get the ubuntu-restricted-extras metapackage and its
    dependencies. That list, currently (for Ubuntu 8.10, Intrepid Ibex):

    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
    msttcorefonts
    flashplugin-nonfree
    icedtea6-plugin
    unrar
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
    gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    libavcodec-unstripped-51
    libmp3lame0
    libdvdread3
    sun-java6-jre

    If you need to play encrypted DVDs, you'll also need the libdvdcss
    library from Medibuntu:

    http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/f...untu1_i386.deb

    You can get the packages for Ubuntu from the packages.ubuntu.com site
    manually, and put them on a USB drive or CD and take them to your
    disconnected computer to install them.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  3. Re: Playing Media

    fatsteve wrote:
    > The computer is not connected to the internet to download
    > codecs so I coulnd't do anything. What do I have to get/do so that
    > it plays dvds and xvid?

    Um, I'll give it a shot. Get it connected to the internet to download
    the codecs so you could do anything.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Playing Media

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 01:09:57 -0400, "Michael B. Trausch"
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:41:33 +0900
    >fatsteve wrote:
    >
    >> Finally got ubuntu installed and first thing i put a dvd in and it
    >> wouldnt play. The computer is not connected to the internet to
    >> download codecs so I coulnd't do anything. What do I have to get/do
    >> so that it plays dvds and xvid?

    >You will need to get the ubuntu-restricted-extras metapackage and its
    >dependencies. That list, currently (for Ubuntu 8.10, Intrepid Ibex):
    >
    >gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    >gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
    >msttcorefonts
    >flashplugin-nonfree
    >icedtea6-plugin
    >unrar
    >gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
    >gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
    >gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    >libavcodec-unstripped-51
    >libmp3lame0
    >libdvdread3
    >sun-java6-jre
    >
    >If you need to play encrypted DVDs, you'll also need the libdvdcss
    >library from Medibuntu:
    >
    >http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/f...untu1_i386.deb
    >
    >You can get the packages for Ubuntu from the packages.ubuntu.com site
    >manually, and put them on a USB drive or CD and take them to your
    >disconnected computer to install them.
    >
    > --- Mike

    Many thanks for this this clear and comprehensive instruction list.

    Help like this is invaluable. )

+ Reply to Thread