8.10 Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 8.10 Install - Ubuntu ; I am trying to install 8.10 for the first time. I can't find any help stuff for the partition, too new I guess. I have an XP partition I want to keep so want to add an Ubuntu partition. I ...

  1. 8.10 Install

    I am trying to install 8.10 for the first time. I can't find any help
    stuff for the partition, too new I guess.

    I have an XP partition I want to keep so want to add an Ubuntu
    partition. I thought that the installer would create one but it doesn't
    allow me to size it, what am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: 8.10 Install

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:33:24 +0000, Chuck wrote:

    > I am trying to install 8.10 for the first time. I can't find any help
    > stuff for the partition, too new I guess.
    >
    > I have an XP partition I want to keep so want to add an Ubuntu
    > partition. I thought that the installer would create one but it doesn't
    > allow me to size it, what am I doing wrong?

    The following page should cover it:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switchi...titioning.html

    ......and just a thought here.... If you are not decided yet on whether
    you want a permanent ubuntu install, you can opt for the "Wubi" install
    method which will install Ubuntu inside of Windows itself. If you decide
    to not use Ubuntu or decide to go for a permanent dual-boot setup, then
    you can just use Windows "Add/Delete" software to uninstall the Wubi
    setup.

  3. Re: 8.10 Install

    propman wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:33:24 +0000, Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to install 8.10 for the first time. I can't find any help
    >> stuff for the partition, too new I guess.
    >>
    >> I have an XP partition I want to keep so want to add an Ubuntu
    >> partition. I thought that the installer would create one but it doesn't
    >> allow me to size it, what am I doing wrong?

    > The following page should cover it:
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switchi...titioning.html
    >

    > .....and just a thought here.... If you are not decided yet on whether
    > you want a permanent ubuntu install, you can opt for the "Wubi" install
    > method which will install Ubuntu inside of Windows itself. If you decide
    > to not use Ubuntu or decide to go for a permanent dual-boot setup, then
    > you can just use Windows "Add/Delete" software to uninstall the Wubi
    > setup.

    Excellent thanks, it was the manaul bit I was missing I thought the
    guided would work and guide me through but I will try manual.

    In the link you posted it says "After finalizing the installation,
    however, the hard disk will be re-partitioned and all existing data
    stored on it will be lost. Ensure that you have made and tested a backup
    copy of all important data." Does that mean it will remove the windows
    partition data?

  4. Re: 8.10 Install

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:59:36 +0000, Chuck wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:33:24 +0000, Chuck wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to install 8.10 for the first time. I can't find any help
    >>> stuff for the partition, too new I guess.
    >>>
    >>> I have an XP partition I want to keep so want to add an Ubuntu
    >>> partition. I thought that the installer would create one but it
    >>> doesn't allow me to size it, what am I doing wrong?

    >> The following page should cover it:
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switchi...titioning.html
    >>

    >> .....and just a thought here.... If you are not decided yet on whether
    >> you want a permanent ubuntu install, you can opt for the "Wubi" install
    >> method which will install Ubuntu inside of Windows itself. If you
    >> decide to not use Ubuntu or decide to go for a permanent dual-boot
    >> setup, then you can just use Windows "Add/Delete" software to uninstall
    >> the Wubi setup.
    >>

    > Excellent thanks, it was the manaul bit I was missing I thought the
    > guided would work and guide me through but I will try manual.
    >
    > In the link you posted it says "After finalizing the installation,
    > however, the hard disk will be re-partitioned and all existing data
    > stored on it will be lost. Ensure that you have made and tested a backup
    > copy of all important data." Does that mean it will remove the windows
    > partition data?

    It can if an error occurs...which is why making a backup of all relevent
    data is essential. Also something to be aware of is, if you didn't
    receive any Windows installation disks with your computer, then more than
    likely, there is also a "hidden" partition on your hard drive which
    contains the original Windows installation software; you most definitely
    do not want to nuke that partition if you intend to keep your windows
    setup going.

    If you haven't use linux partitioning software before, or you feel
    comfortable using windows partioning software etc, then you might want to
    explore the possibility of resizing your Windows partition(s) from
    Windows rather than linux. By doing it from the Windows side, you also
    will be able to do some hard drive cleanup (ie defrag, cleaning out temp
    files etc) before resizing the windows partition.

    A quick Google using the search term "resizing XP partition" should also
    give you pertinent information on obtaining your goal from either linux
    or Windows.

    Good luck.....and remember, if your data's important to you, backup your
    system first and do some pertinent reading before taking that first
    step. :-)

+ Reply to Thread