How do I save my session on Intrepid? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I save my session on Intrepid? - Ubuntu ; Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10 My username and password, session background, panels all stayed the same However: Under 8.04 I had setup that after I logged in a couple of applications (FF, Terminal, Th-bird) started up automagically. No ...

  1. How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10
    My username and password, session background, panels all stayed the same
    However:
    Under 8.04 I had setup that after I logged in a couple of applications
    (FF, Terminal, Th-bird) started up automagically. No longer. After
    starting the applications I want, I do
    System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Options tab -->
    Remember current applications
    and get no message. If I logout and login no apps are started.

    Where am I going wrong?
    Any advice accepted gratefully!

    --
    Mike R
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/ (try and guess what that runs on!)

  2. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10

    I haven't yet.

    > System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Options tab -->
    > Remember current applications
    > and get no message. If I logout and login no apps are started.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    > Any advice accepted gratefully!

    try either:
    gnome-session-save

    or:
    ~/.config/autostart

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10

    > I haven't yet.
    >
    >> System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Options tab -->
    >> Remember current applications
    >> and get no message. If I logout and login no apps are started.
    >>
    >> Where am I going wrong?
    >> Any advice accepted gratefully!

    > try either:
    > gnome-session-save
    >
    > or:
    > ~/.config/autostart

    No cigar
    Tried gnome-session-save -- no result, no message
    and there is no file ~/.config/autostart

    I still have to start my apps manually.
    What disappeared since 8.04??

    Thanks,

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

  4. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > No cigar
    > Tried gnome-session-save -- no result, no message
    > and there is no file ~/.config/autostart

    That's a directory, not a file. BTW the ~ means your home directory. So,
    the path would be:
    /home/your-user-name/.config/autostart/

    Then create a file for say gnome-terminal.desktop in that directory. It
    would look something like this:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Name=No Name
    Name[en_CA]=gnome-terminal
    Comment[en_CA]=gnome-terminal
    Comment=gnome-terminal
    Exec=gnome-terminal
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

    Give that a go.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> No cigar
    >> Tried gnome-session-save -- no result, no message
    >> and there is no file ~/.config/autostart

    > That's a directory, not a file. BTW the ~ means your home directory. So,
    > the path would be:
    > /home/your-user-name/.config/autostart/
    >
    > Then create a file for say gnome-terminal.desktop in that directory. It
    > would look something like this:
    > [Desktop Entry]
    > Type=Application
    > Encoding=UTF-8
    > Version=1.0
    > Name=No Name
    > Name[en_CA]=gnome-terminal
    > Comment[en_CA]=gnome-terminal
    > Comment=gnome-terminal
    > Exec=gnome-terminal
    > X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    >
    > Give that a go.

    Well, I found a workaround...
    Went to
    System --> Preferences --> Sessions
    and added the three or four applications I needed to 'Startup Files'

    It may not be "The Right Thing", but it works...Until next time.

    Thanks for your help!
    Have a good weekend,

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  6. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10
    > My username and password, session background, panels all stayed the same
    > However:
    > Under 8.04 I had setup that after I logged in a couple of applications
    > (FF, Terminal, Th-bird) started up automagically. No longer. After
    > starting the applications I want, I do
    > System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Options tab -->
    > Remember current applications
    > and get no message. If I logout and login no apps are started.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong?
    > Any advice accepted gratefully!
    >
    > --
    > Mike R
    > http://alpha.mike-r.com/ (try and guess what that runs on!)
    > --

    K-button -> System Settings -> Advanced -> Session Manager -> Restore
    previous session OR Restore manually saved session -> Apply

  7. Re: How do I save my session on Intrepid?

    Michael wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Just upgraded from Ub. 8.04 to 8.10
    >> My username and password, session background, panels all stayed the same
    >> However:
    >> Under 8.04 I had setup that after I logged in a couple of applications
    >> (FF, Terminal, Th-bird) started up automagically. No longer. After
    >> starting the applications I want, I do
    >> System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Options tab -->
    >> Remember current applications
    >> and get no message. If I logout and login no apps are started.
    >>
    >> Where am I going wrong?
    >> Any advice accepted gratefully!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike R
    >> http://alpha.mike-r.com/ (try and guess what that runs on!)
    >> --

    > K-button -> System Settings -> Advanced -> Session Manager -> Restore

    ^^^^^^^^^
    > previous session OR Restore manually saved session -> Apply

    Presupposes I *have* a K-button,
    Not on Kubuntu.
    However I gave up and just added the apps I wanted to
    System --> Preferences --> Sessions --> Startup

    Thanks anyway,

    My current problem is that after no action for ~10 minutes the
    screensaver kicks in, but after an hour or two (or overnight) the
    screensaver keeps running, but any action to return to active mode
    fails, and all I see is a blank screen and I have to reboot to get any
    response. (It wasn't like that on 8,04, and I have not changed anything
    on purpose.)

    ....someone ,,,anyone...?

    --
    Mike R.