Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection - Ubuntu ; So I wanted to upgrade to Ibex just using Update Manager. http://i38.tinypic.com/33272pj.png Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more? Call me ...

  1. Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection

    So I wanted to upgrade to Ibex just using Update Manager.

    http://i38.tinypic.com/33272pj.png

    Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought
    the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more?

    Call me a noob, but wow.
    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  2. Re: Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection

    * David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > So I wanted to upgrade to Ibex just using Update Manager.
    >
    > http://i38.tinypic.com/33272pj.png
    >
    > Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought
    > the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more?

    You havent installed anything new since the original 8.04 install? The
    upgrade upgrades everything.

    > Call me a noob, but wow.

    n0Ob!

    --
    David

  3. Re: Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection

    SINNER wrote:
    > * David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> So I wanted to upgrade to Ibex just using Update Manager.
    >>
    >> http://i38.tinypic.com/33272pj.png
    >>
    >> Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought
    >> the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more?

    > You havent installed anything new since the original 8.04 install? The
    > upgrade upgrades everything.
    >
    >> Call me a noob, but wow.

    > n0Ob!

    No I have updated every single update since 8.04 was released.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  4. Re: Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    > Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought
    > the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more?

    How about all the apps you've installed that aren't included in the
    default installation?

    > Call me a noob

    |\|008

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Wow. Upgrading to Ibex on a slow internet connection

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >> Then I found out that 1000MB will be used to upgrade. WHAT? I thought
    >> the CD's were only 700, how could it need that much more?

    > How about all the apps you've installed that aren't included in the
    > default installation?

    I didn't think it was THAT many! :/
    >> Call me a noob

    > |\|008