MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu ; * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > Goad someone else, I won't see it. My proper newsreader hides you > forevermore. No, it doesnt, I could easily shift and youd see me, BUT if you had a proper score ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 86 of 86

  1. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Goad someone else, I won't see it. My proper newsreader hides you
    > forevermore.

    No, it doesnt, I could easily shift and youd see me, BUT if you had a
    proper score file you might be able to figure it out. I am likely older
    than you and been using usenet far longer, nice try.

    Oh, and a XNA user also, no surprise.

    --
    Shifted just for you

  2. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:32 -0000
    >> "dennis@home" wrote:
    >>
    >>> As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters,
    >>> spelling errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.
    >>>

    >> Real newsreaders make top posting inconvenient if not plain difficult.
    >>

    > Utter Rubbish, your suggestion implies that having to scroll through
    > hundreds of lines of text for single sentence responses is is OK but top
    > posting is not. Niether is good. Putting the cursor at the top is a much
    > better solution, it promites scrolling throug the message and interleaving
    > picked a better feature as your argument.

    Agreed.

    Except I'd go further and say: Just post the new information -- and
    quote nothing!

    Let those without a good memory look up the previous reference. They
    brag about knowing everything about USENET, eh.

    Why should the smart users always carry the dummies? Teach them to fish
    instead of feeding them fish.

    Sounds like "spread the wealth," which I'm afraid America is in for now
    that a liberal will be come president.

    Why would anyone want to work for anything when they know it will be
    taken away from them and given to those too lazy to earn their own keep?

    Heck, just lie back and enjoy the welfare!

    --
    John

  3. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:

    >>Putting the cursor at the top is
    >> a much better solution, it promites scrolling throug the message and
    >> interleaving responses.

    > Except I'd go further and say: Just post the new information -- and
    > quote nothing!

    Some people seem to have a really really hard time trimming. That baffles
    me.

    The reply guidelines are actually very simple.

    -1- don't top post
    -2- don't bottom post without appropriate trimming and contextualizing
    -3- (almost) always trim
    -4- use the trim and context to aid the precision of your response and
    structure the response to consider the cited words of the context
    -5- you can /not/ attribute, trim, and contextualize by not attributing
    and quoting and going to the trouble of accurately and honestly
    paraphrasing what you are replying to, but that is more tedious than
    precise trimming and contextualizing which performs a similar duty more
    efficiently.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Some people seem to have a really really hard time trimming. That baffles
    > me.

    Nothing baffling there, Mike.

    They may be lazy, maybe just yanking your chain, thinking someone may
    need the whole quote, not sure what to trim, or just don't remember to trim.

    They have their reasons, if they even know, just like some other people
    like to net-nanny.

    It takes all kinds of people -- or life would be very boring!

    --
    John

  5. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 11:02:59 -0600
    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >

    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> Utter Rubbish, your suggestion implies that having to scroll
    >>> through hundreds of lines of text for single sentence responses is
    >>> is OK but top posting is not. Niether is good. Putting the cursor
    >>> at the top is a much better solution, it promites scrolling throug
    >>> the message and interleaving responses. Your above statement is
    >>> wrong on so many levels. You should have picked a better feature as
    >>> your argument.
    >>>

    > No, that is not at all what my suggestion implies. One way good email
    > and newsreader software makes life easy is to let you select the
    > snippet you want to reply to, and copy only that to the reply window.
    > This way, you don't (even accidentally) quote the whole message. I
    > don't use GUI-oriented software that works any other way. It's a major
    > time-saver. I don't think any software does what FF does and lets you
    > select multiple active snippets (yet), but I can see that being a
    > really useful feature that newsreaders should adopt.
    >
    > And you can still copy the whole message and scroll around if you
    > want. Computers have these things called keyboards that are really
    > easy to use, and you can do things like press Shift+UpArrow to
    > highlight lines and then press Delete to remove them. Pretty fast, and
    > pretty easy. The person who is too lazy to do that is not the person
    > that should be on Usenet, or probably even be permitted access to
    > email.

    Uh-oh! You quoted me, and are replying to my message, but it is actually
    to Sinner's reply paragraph.

    Not a good sign you even understand how to use a GUI newsreader -- as
    you are harping. ;-)

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >> Except I'd go further and say: Just post the new information -- and
    >> quote nothing!
    >>

    > Not all newsservers get all posts, and sometimes there is significant
    > lag getting a single message around the Usenet. That is the whole
    > reason for using either bottom-posting or "interleaved" posting,
    > wherein the quote is made and then the answer, then more quote, etc.
    > Not all newsservers even carry all groups (e.g., Google Groups does not
    > carry this one) so if there are posts which are cross-posted to several
    > groups, there is a good chance that one or more of those posts are
    > missing entirely, depending on the spool provider one is using.
    > Contextual quoting is quite nice in those circumstances.

    Let the reader beware. I can't make all of them happy. I can't fix all
    of their problems.

    >> Let those without a good memory look up the previous reference. They
    >> brag about knowing everything about USENET, eh.
    >>

    > As I mentioned, that's not always possible. If you've been on Usenet
    > for more than a couple of months, you're sure to have seen such a
    > phenomenon. I know that I've seen it. I'll see an outstanding
    > question, answer it, only to find that someone answered it an hour or
    > two before me but the answer hadn't yet propagated across the Usenet.
    > Obviously it depends on the newshost and so forth, but Usenet peering
    > (much like UDP) is best-effort, not guaranteed delivery.
    >
    > Furthermore, taking this to your average MUA for a minute, most MUA
    > software doesn't make looking up the original reference very easy at
    > all. Yes, inbound mail comes in via threads, and when you're reading
    > a mailing list, threads are very nice indeed to have. But when it
    > comes to private emails back and forth, one has to flip back and forth
    > between the sent folder and the inbox in order to get context if
    > replies are not properly sent. Or, in the event of people who top
    > post, one has to scroll up and down and up and down to get contextually
    > relevant answers, because top-posters don't believe in interleaving or
    > even using quote characters for the original message, more often than
    > not. Hence why it is less than pragmatic to top-post or suffer a
    > top-poster.
    >
    > [Irrelevant off-topic political discourse snipped.]
    >
    > --- Mike

    Sorry, Mike, but you are incorrect. For starters, using "emails" is a
    dead giveaway you don't know the correct terms, but likely get your
    education from the talking heads of the news media.

    I run several NNTP servers (check this message's header), and I am very
    familiar with propagation. I rarely cannot find a message missing from
    any of the multiple servers I access. Missing messages are nearly always
    ****pit error at the posting user's location -- his PC.

    I'm also familiar with dozens of newsreaders, and their differences, and
    some inabilities to go back to a reference -- with a simple click.

    But I do know how to find a message, using any newsreader, MUA, telnet,
    whatever, and from multiple servers. If I really want it, I can get it
    if it is on USENET. I can't push anyone who doesn't really want it, now
    can I?

    Let's just leave this as-is, and you can go net-nanny someone else,
    somewhere else, who might fall for your misinformation.

    I say "net-nanny" because you are habitually into these kinds of
    threads, despite the off-topic nature, playing Internet Police, instead
    of discussing subjects involving Ubuntu.

    There is a whole ISC hierarchy that would be better for you. It is
    news.* and you are certainly welcome to go there.

    BTW, what you consider and snipped to be "irrelevant off-topic political
    discourse" is only your (unsolicited) opinion, and you are entitled to
    it. It obviously fit you, so you snipped it.

    Thanks for labeling yourself because I now know you will never
    understand anything you consider "irrelevant," and I really don't care
    for your "irrelevant" off-topic, net-nannying either. What is good for
    the goose is good for the gander, eh?

    Wanna be plonked? Just ask.

    Otherwise, have a nice weekend. It's entirely up to you, Mike.

    --
    John

  6. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:24:55 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > Thank you for the insight, and the discussion. I do hope to not be
    > annoying again. :-)

    Too late.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5