MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu ; "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message news:20081104092243.7de05e24@zest... > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 03:45:28 GMT > SINNER wrote: > >> * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: >> >> > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:38:20 GMT >> > SINNER ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86

Thread: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

  1. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex



    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    news:20081104092243.7de05e24@zest...
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 03:45:28 GMT
    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >> > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:38:20 GMT
    >> > SINNER wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Congrats, youve just described Telnet, would you use it to read
    >> >> news?
    >> >
    >> > Using telnet to read news would make the _human_ a proper
    >> > newsreader,

    >>
    >> thats silly. Telnet is a client, it can attach to a NNTP server and
    >> read articles. Your above statement suits TBird just as easily as
    >> telnet.
    >>

    >
    > But Telnet does not implement the standards.
    >
    > My words were, from msgid <20081101123641.32b5c381@zest>:
    >> A "proper newsreader" is software that adheres to Usenet conventions,
    >> that follows the NNTP protocol standard, and handles applicable
    >> updated standards such as message signatures and the like.

    >
    > Your claim that I described telnet is false. Telnet supports various
    > forms of terminal-dependent negotiation, feature negotiation, and
    > character-based and line-based buffering and sending. That's _it_.
    >
    > It does _not_ adhere to Usenet conventions. The _human_ would have to
    > do that.
    >


    As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters, spelling
    errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.




  2. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:32 -0000
    "dennis@home" wrote:

    > As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters,
    > spelling errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.


    Real newsreaders make top posting inconvenient if not plain difficult.

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/


  3. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:

    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:32 -0000
    > "dennis@home" wrote:
    >
    >> As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters,
    >> spelling errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.

    >
    > Real newsreaders make top posting inconvenient if not plain difficult.


    No. Real newsreader let you configure which quoting style you need for
    which group.


    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:59:22 +0100
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > No. Real newsreader let you configure which quoting style you need for
    > which group.


    Absolutely not. That would be like saying real email clients do the
    same.

    Sorry, just because some PHB says "top post" doesn't make it right;
    it's simply not logical given the way conversations flow. That is why
    standards against it exist.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/


  5. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:46:09 -0400, Lang wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:02:41 +0100, Alias wrote:
    >>> So if you disagree with his post there are certainly better ways to
    >>> handle it and respond. At least if you want to even remotely be taken
    >>> seriously by anyone.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Stephan,
    >>
    >> Har! Too true.
    >>
    >> Dunno if you remember helping me out trying to get NG readers working in
    >> a prior version of Ubuntu...

    >
    > Yup! I most certainly do remember.
    >
    >> Installed Hardy the other day and got Thunderbird working w/o issue.
    >> (Old issue was that I could read msgs but not respond.) Well... I guess
    >> I should say... got TB working with some issues... like installing it.
    >> Tried D/Ling from Mozilla site. Couldn't figure that out, but messed
    >> around with it enough to mess things up. Ended up slicking the box and
    >> using apt-get and that worked fine.

    >
    > That is what apt-get is there for. I think that is one of the biggest
    > challenges for windows users to get past: Fighting the urge of
    > downloading their apps from a website rather than simply using apt-get or
    > synaptic.
    >


    Yeah, I'm living and learning... apt-get seems to be the better way to
    install apps. And you're right: it's a leap of faith for those of us
    used to other ways to install apps. Having come up in the world of DOS,
    CLI's do not fra-eak me out. Not at all. Fully acknowledge that many
    tasks go much faster in a CLI than a GUI. Main obstacle for me is
    knowing the names of pkg's to call from apt-get.

    > Glad to see you got it working.
    >
    >> Anyway... glad to see folks here using common sense to deal with this
    >> dude.

    >
    > I wish I could get some common sense into him though.
    >


    Nuff said on that.

    >> Also see you're braving the rocks and shoals over in vista.general. Good
    >> luck with that. ;D

    >
    > Hahha, thanks! =)
    >


    Yeah, kills me how contentious that NG is. C'est la vie.

    Lang

  6. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex



    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message
    news:20081104190037.585f7ec8@zest...
    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:32 -0000
    > "dennis@home" wrote:
    >
    >> As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters,
    >> spelling errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.

    >
    > Real newsreaders make top posting inconvenient if not plain difficult.


    How?
    Surely you don't think that putting the cursor at the bottom so you don't
    read and snip on the way down is a good idea?




  7. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:59:22 +0100
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> No. Real newsreader let you configure which quoting style you need for
    >> which group.

    >
    > Absolutely not. That would be like saying real email clients do the
    > same.


    Any decent email client should allow you to configure your posting
    style.

    > Sorry, just because some PHB says "top post" doesn't make it right;
    > it's simply not logical given the way conversations flow.


    That depends on the kind of conversations. Top posting is bad for
    discussions where you want to follow the arguments. But it good if
    only the new text is really interesting but you need to keep a lot of
    quotes for reference, e.g. if you are reporting the progress on some
    project or making an appointment.


    > That is why standards against it exist.


    The relevant standards are the ones the people you are talking with
    are following. If everyone is top posting you should top post,
    too. *Everything* is better than mixing different posting styles.



    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:59:22 +0100
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >
    >> No. Real newsreader let you configure which quoting style you need for
    >> which group.
    >>

    >
    > Absolutely not. That would be like saying real email clients do the
    > same.
    >
    > Sorry, just because some PHB says "top post" doesn't make it right;
    > it's simply not logical given the way conversations flow. That is why
    > standards against it exist.
    >
    > --- Mike



    Your "logic," like the logic most illogical people spew about "logical
    flow," always forgets that many people are capable of remembering what a
    previous article in a thread said. They do not need any quoted material,
    and having it always at the top of the fresh meat is a big bother and
    waste of time and bandwidth.

    Maybe you don't "forget" this, but just don't understand it?

    Think of it this way: Quoted material is identical to footnotes. A place
    to go should you be "lost." It is a courtesy to help those who can't
    remember very well.

    If you do not get lost, then why wade through all of the same-o, over
    and over in a thread.

    Now that is "logic" my friend.

    I bottom-post here because many stubborn die-hards demand it, and if I
    don't, then these net-nannys fill up the newsgroup with whining and flames,

    But I certainly prefer to read a top-posted message, and there is
    nothing the whiners can do about my reading preferences, eh.

    Since this does not involve Ubuntu, and therefore is off-topic, I won't
    respond to anything further.

    I simply said it so you can see there is another view than the one you
    favor.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  9. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    in 73826 20081105 105045 "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:59:22 +0100
    >> Florian Diesch wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> No. Real newsreader let you configure which quoting style you need for
    >>> which group.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Absolutely not. That would be like saying real email clients do the
    >> same.
    >>
    >> Sorry, just because some PHB says "top post" doesn't make it right;
    >> it's simply not logical given the way conversations flow. That is why
    >> standards against it exist.
    >>
    >> --- Mike

    >
    >
    >Your "logic," like the logic most illogical people spew about "logical
    >flow," always forgets that many people are capable of remembering what a
    >previous article in a thread said. They do not need any quoted material,
    >and having it always at the top of the fresh meat is a big bother and
    >waste of time and bandwidth.
    >
    >Maybe you don't "forget" this, but just don't understand it?
    >
    >Think of it this way: Quoted material is identical to footnotes. A place
    >to go should you be "lost." It is a courtesy to help those who can't
    >remember very well.
    >
    >If you do not get lost, then why wade through all of the same-o, over
    >and over in a thread.
    >
    >Now that is "logic" my friend.
    >
    >I bottom-post here because many stubborn die-hards demand it, and if I
    >don't, then these net-nannys fill up the newsgroup with whining and flames,
    >
    >But I certainly prefer to read a top-posted message, and there is
    >nothing the whiners can do about my reading preferences, eh.
    >
    >Since this does not involve Ubuntu, and therefore is off-topic, I won't
    >respond to anything further.
    >
    >I simply said it so you can see there is another view than the one you
    >favor.
    >
    >--
    >John



    One which is widely shared, in my experience.
    In IBM's internal forums top-posting was the norm, and always seemed quite
    natural to me.

  10. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:41:38 -0500, Lang propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    Main obstacle for me is
    > knowing the names of pkg's to call from apt-get.
    >


    apt-get update
    apt-cache search foobar


    --
    Rob
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    This is Linux country. If you listen carefully, you can hear Windows
    reboot...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  11. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Bob Martin wrote:
    > "John F. Morse"


    You two non-contextualizing bottom posters don't understand what
    contextualizing is all about -- how it is an aid to the communicability
    and responsiveness of your replies.

    You seem to think that one should either bottom post or top post and in
    neither case contextualize. That isn't correct.

    If you would trim the citations you reply to it would communicate and
    respond better.

    Here is an illustration http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q3:
    Why shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?


    --
    Mike Easter


  12. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:41:38 -0500, Lang wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:46:09 -0400, Lang wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:02:41 +0100, Alias wrote: So if you disagree
    >>>> with his post there are certainly better ways to handle it and
    >>>> respond. At least if you want to even remotely be taken seriously by
    >>>> anyone.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Stephan,
    >>>
    >>> Har! Too true.
    >>>
    >>> Dunno if you remember helping me out trying to get NG readers working
    >>> in a prior version of Ubuntu...

    >>
    >> Yup! I most certainly do remember.
    >>
    >>> Installed Hardy the other day and got Thunderbird working w/o issue.
    >>> (Old issue was that I could read msgs but not respond.) Well... I
    >>> guess I should say... got TB working with some issues... like
    >>> installing it. Tried D/Ling from Mozilla site. Couldn't figure that
    >>> out, but messed around with it enough to mess things up. Ended up
    >>> slicking the box and using apt-get and that worked fine.

    >>
    >> That is what apt-get is there for. I think that is one of the biggest
    >> challenges for windows users to get past: Fighting the urge of
    >> downloading their apps from a website rather than simply using apt-get
    >> or synaptic.
    >>
    >>

    > Yeah, I'm living and learning... apt-get seems to be the better way to
    > install apps. And you're right: it's a leap of faith for those of us
    > used to other ways to install apps. Having come up in the world of DOS,
    > CLI's do not fra-eak me out. Not at all. Fully acknowledge that many
    > tasks go much faster in a CLI than a GUI. Main obstacle for me is
    > knowing the names of pkg's to call from apt-get.


    That's for me where tab auto-complete really comes in handy.

    Just start typing the name of a package or and hit tab and it'll auto-
    complete it if possible. Hit tab twice and it'll list any and all
    packages that start with the name already entered.

    Of course, can always just use synaptic too as it's just a GUI frontend
    to apt-get and really makes searching for things easy.

    >
    >> Glad to see you got it working.
    >>
    >>> Anyway... glad to see folks here using common sense to deal with this
    >>> dude.

    >>
    >> I wish I could get some common sense into him though.
    >>
    >>

    > Nuff said on that.
    >
    >>> Also see you're braving the rocks and shoals over in vista.general.
    >>> Good luck with that. ;D

    >>
    >> Hahha, thanks! =)
    >>
    >>

    > Yeah, kills me how contentious that NG is. C'est la vie.
    >


    Well thing is, as much as I enjoy the occasional good Windows bashing,
    particularly Vista, I also do like having an actual sensible discussion
    about it too. I mean, some of the things Microsoft does, while a bit
    uncommon, I do actually like. My keyboard and DirectX for instance. =)

    Sadly, with a lot of the people in that NG it's impossible to have any
    sort of reasonable discussion.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  13. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:50:45 -0600
    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    > I simply said it so you can see there is another view than the one
    > you favor.


    I am aware of that. I say it's logical because conversations are
    top-to-bottom things. Also, top-posting is only convenient if you
    don't manage to read 1,000 posts and emails a day. To read that much
    stuff and still get work done, you need the context provided at least
    enough to know when it's not, and then when it's not, the message is
    (probably) not worth reading. I manage a lot, and I hate bouncing up
    and down... proper trimming and non-top-posting is essential for
    efficency. I've tried it both ways, which is the only reason that I
    can say that.

    In any case, you're right, in that we're not way off-topic. This
    subthread didn't need to be spawned in the first place, IMHO. A
    certain someone felt the need to spawn it in order to attack software
    and then backpedal. I hope he's since recanted, but I can't see him
    anymore so I suppose its moot.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/


  14. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Bob Martin wrote:
    >
    >> "John F. Morse"
    >>

    >
    > You two non-contextualizing bottom posters don't understand what
    > contextualizing is all about -- how it is an aid to the communicability
    > and responsiveness of your replies.
    >
    > You seem to think that one should either bottom post or top post and in
    > neither case contextualize. That isn't correct.
    >
    > If you would trim the citations you reply to it would communicate and
    > respond better.
    >
    > Here is an illustration http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q3:
    > Why shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?



    Mike,

    You seem to have never read any of my articles, especially my replies to
    others, when I do post inline.

    I'll leave your entire message above so you can use it for reference.
    After all, how would I know which parts to trim, and which parts you
    might need?

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  15. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Notice how I am trimming for context.

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:


    >> You two non-contextualizing bottom posters don't understand what
    >> contextualizing is all about


    >> If you would trim the citations you reply to it would communicate and
    >> respond better.


    > You seem to have never read any of my articles, especially my replies to
    > others, when I do post inline.


    This is your message I was referring to as bottom posted.
    gertq6$f5o$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net or
    news:gertq6$f5o$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net

    You replied to this Trausch message <20081105020138.4af1b123@zest> or
    news:20081105020138.4af1b123@zest

    .... and in doing so, you trimmed absolutely nothing -- except that the sig
    delimiter and the 'sig contents' were autotrimmed by your news agent
    Tbird. In fact, Trausch uses a non-sig-delimited so-called 'signoff' of
    'dash dash dash space Mike', which you didn't even manually trim.

    > I'll leave your entire message above so you can use it for reference.


    It isn't necessary for you to leave the entire message you are replying.
    That is my point. There is a Reference line in the header which refers to
    the message you are replying. If anyone needs to see the entire message,
    they can use the references to access every single line of every single
    message posted in the thread.

    > After all, how would I know which parts to trim, and which parts you
    > might need?


    When you make a reply, you are almost always replying to some specific
    words in the preceding message and not all of them. If you are going to
    reply to a 'global concept' of the entire preceding message, it would be
    better to just summarize it in a few words or lines rather than to cite
    every single line.

    In your reply to Trausch, your refer to his 'logic' and you put that
    referral right under his name. His name is not the logic he was
    expressing.


    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Michael B. Trausch wrote:


    >> --- Mike

    >
    >
    > Your "logic," like the logic most illogical people spew



    That reply of yours is in need of trimming.

    The reason that top posting seems to appeal to bottom posters is because
    incessant bottom posting leads to long screenfuls of unnecessary lines
    which should have been trimmed by each lazy bottom poster for context.
    The result is that both top posting and bottom posting have way too many
    lines which provide no context, and it is more 'convenient' to find the
    top post _before_ all of the excessive untrimmed lines instead of way down
    at the bottom of a similar bunch of excessive untrimmed lines without
    context.


    --
    Mike Easter


  16. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Notice how I am trimming for context.
    >
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>

    >
    >
    >>> You two non-contextualizing bottom posters don't understand what
    >>> contextualizing is all about
    >>>

    >
    >
    >>> If you would trim the citations you reply to it would communicate and
    >>> respond better.
    >>>

    >
    >
    >> You seem to have never read any of my articles, especially my replies to
    >> others, when I do post inline.
    >>

    >
    > This is your message I was referring to as bottom posted.
    > gertq6$f5o$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net or
    > news:gertq6$f5o$1@optima7.xanadu-bbs.net
    >
    > You replied to this Trausch message <20081105020138.4af1b123@zest> or
    > news:20081105020138.4af1b123@zest
    >
    > ... and in doing so, you trimmed absolutely nothing -- except that the sig
    > delimiter and the 'sig contents' were autotrimmed by your news agent
    > Tbird. In fact, Trausch uses a non-sig-delimited so-called 'signoff' of
    > 'dash dash dash space Mike', which you didn't even manually trim.
    >
    >
    >> I'll leave your entire message above so you can use it for reference.
    >>

    >
    > It isn't necessary for you to leave the entire message you are replying.
    > That is my point. There is a Reference line in the header which refers to
    > the message you are replying. If anyone needs to see the entire message,
    > they can use the references to access every single line of every single
    > message posted in the thread.
    >
    >
    >> After all, how would I know which parts to trim, and which parts you
    >> might need?
    >>

    >
    > When you make a reply, you are almost always replying to some specific
    > words in the preceding message and not all of them. If you are going to
    > reply to a 'global concept' of the entire preceding message, it would be
    > better to just summarize it in a few words or lines rather than to cite
    > every single line.
    >
    > In your reply to Trausch, your refer to his 'logic' and you put that
    > referral right under his name. His name is not the logic he was
    > expressing.
    >
    >
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >>

    >
    >
    >>> --- Mike
    >>>

    >> Your "logic," like the logic most illogical people spew
    >>

    >

    >
    > That reply of yours is in need of trimming.
    >
    > The reason that top posting seems to appeal to bottom posters is because
    > incessant bottom posting leads to long screenfuls of unnecessary lines
    > which should have been trimmed by each lazy bottom poster for context.
    > The result is that both top posting and bottom posting have way too many
    > lines which provide no context, and it is more 'convenient' to find the
    > top post _before_ all of the excessive untrimmed lines instead of way down
    > at the bottom of a similar bunch of excessive untrimmed lines without
    > context.



    Tell me about it. ;-)




    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  17. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:


    >> Sorry, just because some PHB says "top post" doesn't make it right;
    >> it's simply not logical given the way conversations flow.

    >
    > That depends on the kind of conversations.


    If it's the kind of shouting-down that's done by the desperate Windoze
    astroturfers, then their top-posting makes them easy to ignore!

    C.

  18. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    >> tasks go much faster in a CLI than a GUI. Main obstacle for me is
    >> knowing the names of pkg's to call from apt-get.

    >
    > That's for me where tab auto-complete really comes in handy.
    >
    > Just start typing the name of a package or and hit tab and it'll auto-
    > complete it if possible. Hit tab twice and it'll list any and all
    > packages that start with the name already entered.
    >
    > Of course, can always just use synaptic too as it's just a GUI frontend
    > to apt-get and really makes searching for things easy.
    >


    Well, one of the things I want to force myself to do is get used to the
    UB CLI. So using apt-get takes me there.

    >>> Glad to see you got it working.
    >>>
    >>>> Anyway... glad to see folks here using common sense to deal with this
    >>>> dude.
    >>> I wish I could get some common sense into him though.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Nuff said on that.
    >>
    >>>> Also see you're braving the rocks and shoals over in vista.general.
    >>>> Good luck with that. ;D
    >>> Hahha, thanks! =)
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Yeah, kills me how contentious that NG is. C'est la vie.
    >>

    >
    > Well thing is, as much as I enjoy the occasional good Windows bashing,
    > particularly Vista, I also do like having an actual sensible discussion
    > about it too. I mean, some of the things Microsoft does, while a bit
    > uncommon, I do actually like. My keyboard and DirectX for instance. =)
    >
    > Sadly, with a lot of the people in that NG it's impossible to have any
    > sort of reasonable discussion.
    >


    While not a MS basher, neither am I a fanboi... but they do have some
    pretty cool technology going on. That's not to say that there aren't
    alternatives out there for the stuff I'm working with, SCCM right now,
    I'm just not cognizant of equivalent tools.

    Basically, using SCCM to create a bootable USB stick that images a seat
    with a standard image, applies appropriate drivers to that seat, one can
    have a boatload of driver pkgs to support umpteen model types, and
    installs about 8 apps after OS install. Just an HTA front end on a PE
    boot CD to capture required data for the seat name, etc, but other than
    that, no user interaction until the thing is complete. Pretty dang cool.

    Hey, funny, my favorite kybd, the one I have attached to my KVM, is a MS
    Natural Kybd that I won in a drawing at the Windows 95 roll-out party
    here in ATL. Ha! Gotten a good 10+ years outta that kybd. Can hardly see
    the characters on the keys anymore...

    Regards,

    Lang

  19. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    aspir8or wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:41:38 -0500, Lang propped his eyelids open with
    > toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    > Main obstacle for me is
    >> knowing the names of pkg's to call from apt-get.
    >>

    >
    > apt-get update
    > apt-cache search foobar
    >
    >


    Thanks for the info; appreciated!

    Lang

  20. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    * Michael B. Trausch wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:28:32 -0000
    > "dennis@home" wrote:
    >
    >> As they do with all "real" news clients.. hence the top posters,
    >> spelling errors, duff sigs, trolling, etc.

    >
    > Real newsreaders make top posting inconvenient if not plain difficult.
    >


    Utter Rubbish, your suggestion implies that having to scroll through
    hundreds of lines of text for single sentence responses is is OK but top
    posting is not. Niether is good. Putting the cursor at the top is a much
    better solution, it promites scrolling throug the message and interleaving
    responses. Your above statement is wrong on so many levels. You should have
    picked a better feature as your argument.

    --
    David

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast