MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex - Ubuntu ; * Aaron Grahn wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > Alias wrote: >> 8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso >> >> Alias > > Why is anyone still using MD5? I thought I heard it was broken... > > > > // Aaron > oh no, not ...

  1. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    * Aaron Grahn wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Alias wrote:
    >> 8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Why is anyone still using MD5? I thought I heard it was broken...
    >

    > // Aaron

    oh no, not again....sigh

    --
    David

  2. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Alias wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> One could also advise how and why to use the md5, such as is
    >> described at help.ubuntu.com

    > When I want your advice on how to post, I'll let you know. Don't
    > hold your breath, asshole.

    Well done. Welcome to the PLONK file. Bye.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Aaron Grahn wrote:

    > Why is anyone still using MD5? I thought I heard it was broken...

    In this context, the md5 hash is (just) being used as a file integrity
    checker for the .iso, there (supposedly) isn't a risk or problem of a man
    in the middle substituting a bad-iso which has the identical md5 as the
    good-iso.

    The referred 2005 article is about creating md5 collisions. There is a
    newer 2007 article here http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/SoftIntCodeSign/

    For this file integrity usage, it seems to me that any 'pretty good' error
    checking for correctness algo would be just fine, such as crc; since this
    isn't really about a security signature type check.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Alias wrote:

    > I try to help by posting the MD5SUM and all I get is this? Don't worry,
    > I won't post here again.
    >
    > Alias

    Who wants to bet he's lying?

    technomaNge
    --

  5. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:02:41 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>> When I want your advice on how to post, I'll let you know. Don't hold
    >>> your breath, asshole.
    >>>

    >> Your Valium prescription run out or something like that? Seriously,
    >> look at the garbage you are spewing out here.
    >>
    >> Mike is very much right. I know I personally wouldn't want to trust
    >> someone's MD5 sum posting on some random newsgroup, especially when the
    >> next follow up response from the same person contains words such as
    >> "asshole, go **** yourself", etc.
    >>
    >> Makes you look like an idiot.
    >>

    > Telling me how to post makes him what?
    >
    > Alias

    Well, it is kind of stupid to think you will listen to advice, or learn
    anything.

  6. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:02:07 +0100
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> I try to help by posting the MD5SUM and all I get is this? Don't
    >> worry, I won't post here again.

    > All that is being said to you is that you should link to resources like
    > this, not put them in the newsgroup where no (security-conscious)
    > individual is going to accept the information.
    >
    > If that's such a big issue for you, then please, don't post here
    > again. Or anywhere else on Usenet, for that matter. It's really just
    > simple logic.
    >
    > --- Mike

    Amen, brother!

    This guy has been trolling the Vista.general NG rationalizing his
    advocacy of Ubuntu as a valid subject for that NG for over a year now.
    (Well, that's a SWAG on the timeline.)

    No big surprise to find him insulting/cussin' folks here, in the NG of
    his beloved Ubuntu. Consideration of his fellow man does not seem to be
    one of his strong-points.

    Lang

    P.S. Running 8.04 here now... had many problems with NG readers in prior
    releases... but TB working fine now. Also run OS X, Vista, XP on my
    personal PC's.

  7. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 00:17:58 -0400
    Lang wrote:

    > P.S. Running 8.04 here now... had many problems with NG readers in
    > prior releases... but TB working fine now. Also run OS X, Vista, XP
    > on my personal PC's.

    I've had so much trouble with Thunderbird (granted, I have rather
    strange configuration needs, but that really shouldn't be an issue)
    that I wound up giving up on it. While I was in school, I used
    Evolution, only because it handled HTML mail really well, but it never
    quite fit into the way that I do things. These days, I am using Claws
    Mail, which, aside from sometimes blocking the UI when the news or mail
    server is being a bit slow, is quite excellent.

    Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the UI
    when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be pretty
    damn close to perfect. :-)

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  8. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:18:00 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >> P.S. Running 8.04 here now... had many problems with NG readers in
    >> prior releases... but TB working fine now. Also run OS X, Vista, XP on
    >> my personal PC's.

    > I've had so much trouble with Thunderbird (granted, I have rather
    > strange configuration needs, but that really shouldn't be an issue) that
    > I wound up giving up on it. While I was in school, I used Evolution,
    > only because it handled HTML mail really well, but it never quite fit
    > into the way that I do things. These days, I am using Claws Mail,
    > which, aside from sometimes blocking the UI when the news or mail server
    > is being a bit slow, is quite excellent.

    Heh. Why would you expect much else, when using email clients for
    newsgroups? Have you ever thought that "Gee, maybe I should look into
    learning how to use a proper newsreader..."?

    > Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the UI
    > when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be pretty
    > damn close to perfect. :-)

    A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader, and
    use your email client(s) for email.

    I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

  9. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:02:41 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > So if you disagree with his post there are certainly better ways to
    > handle it and respond. At least if you want to even remotely be taken
    > seriously by anyone.

    Stephan,

    Har! Too true.

    Dunno if you remember helping me out trying to get NG readers working in
    a prior version of Ubuntu...

    Installed Hardy the other day and got Thunderbird working w/o issue.
    (Old issue was that I could read msgs but not respond.) Well... I guess
    I should say... got TB working with some issues... like installing it.
    Tried D/Ling from Mozilla site. Couldn't figure that out, but messed
    around with it enough to mess things up. Ended up slicking the box and
    using apt-get and that worked fine.

    Anyway... glad to see folks here using common sense to deal with this dude.

    Also see you're braving the rocks and shoals over in vista.general. Good
    luck with that. ;D

    Regards,

    Lang

  10. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:18:00 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    >
    >>> P.S. Running 8.04 here now... had many problems with NG readers in
    >>> prior releases... but TB working fine now. Also run OS X, Vista, XP on
    >>> my personal PC's.

    >> I've had so much trouble with Thunderbird (granted, I have rather
    >> strange configuration needs, but that really shouldn't be an issue) that
    >> I wound up giving up on it. While I was in school, I used Evolution,
    >> only because it handled HTML mail really well, but it never quite fit
    >> into the way that I do things. These days, I am using Claws Mail,
    >> which, aside from sometimes blocking the UI when the news or mail server
    >> is being a bit slow, is quite excellent.

    > Heh. Why would you expect much else, when using email clients for
    > newsgroups? Have you ever thought that "Gee, maybe I should look into
    > learning how to use a proper newsreader..."?
    >
    >> Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the UI
    >> when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be pretty
    >> damn close to perfect. :-)

    > A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader, and
    > use your email client(s) for email.
    >
    > I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

    Thunderbird's not a NG reader? Seems to be working fine here.

    Lang

  11. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On 01 Nov 2008 05:41:19 GMT
    Dan C wrote:

    > > I've had so much trouble with Thunderbird (granted, I have rather
    > > strange configuration needs, but that really shouldn't be an issue)
    > > that I wound up giving up on it. While I was in school, I used
    > > Evolution, only because it handled HTML mail really well, but it
    > > never quite fit into the way that I do things. These days, I am
    > > using Claws Mail, which, aside from sometimes blocking the UI when
    > > the news or mail server is being a bit slow, is quite excellent.

    > Heh. Why would you expect much else, when using email clients for
    > newsgroups? Have you ever thought that "Gee, maybe I should look
    > into learning how to use a proper newsreader..."?

    Actually, this has the features of most newsreader software I've used,
    and having a single interface for both is pretty convenient. Whether
    this software does both mail and news is wholly not relevant to whether
    it blocks on network I/O. It only blocks when the server is slow to
    respond, anyway, which doesn't happen very often.

    > > Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the
    > > UI when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be
    > > pretty damn close to perfect. :-)

    > A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    > and use your email client(s) for email.
    >
    > I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

    And I suggest that you be a little more friendly. People have
    preferences, and they're not all yours.

    BTW, I've used Pan and slrn. IMHO, they're both "okay". They're both
    featureful, and I have nothing against either one of them in
    particular. I do happen to like my current software quite a bit better
    than either of those, though, because I actually *like* using a single,
    tray-dockable application for both my mail and news. And it's
    certainly not lacking in features.

    Do you advocate ignorance all the time, or is today a special occasion
    for you?

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  12. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Alias trolled:

    > 8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
    >
    > Alias

    So what?

  13. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Alias trolled:

    > BubuXP wrote:
    >> Alias ha scritto:
    >>> 8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

    >> That's not intrepid ibex...
    >>

    >> 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

    > You're right, my mistake. Here's all of them:
    >
    > ea6d44667ea3fd435954d6e1f0e89122 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso
    > f9e0494e91abb2de4929ef6e957f7753 *ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso
    > f9cdb7e9ad85263dde17f8fc81a6305b *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso
    > 24ea1163ea6c9f5dae77de8c49ee7c03 *ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    > 8d35fea8c16597a6f4dd07f8e18e2166 *ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia.img
    > e3028a105a083339be8e5af5afbe7444 *ubuntu-8.10-server-amd64.iso
    > a2ec9975a91e1228c8292ed9799dc302 *ubuntu-8.10-server-i386.iso
    > 2796c696ab368415a30fddc8278e08b0 *wubi.exe
    >
    > Alias

    And? What do you want?

  14. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 02:33:47 -0400, Lang wrote:

    >> A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    >> and use your email client(s) for email.
    >>
    >> I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

    > Thunderbird's not a NG reader? Seems to be working fine here.

    No, it isn't. It's an email client that (sort of) (half-assed) does
    newsgroups too. Poorly.

    If you've not tried a real newsreader, you don't even know what you're
    missing.

  15. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 05:07:43 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >> A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    >> and use your email client(s) for email.
    >>
    >> I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

    > And I suggest that you be a little more friendly. People have
    > preferences, and they're not all yours.

    Please explain (exactly) what was "unfriendly" about my comments above.

    > Do you advocate ignorance all the time, or is today a special occasion
    > for you?

    Another comment which is hard to understand. What's with the unwarranted
    hostility?

  16. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    ----
    Dan C wrote in msgid :

    > Heh. Why would you expect much else, when using email clients for
    > newsgroups? Have you ever thought that "Gee, maybe I should look
    > into learning how to use a proper newsreader..."?

    ----

    This is incredibly condescending. Condescending is quite unfriendly.
    A "proper newsreader" is software that adheres to Usenet conventions,
    that follows the NNTP protocol standard, and handles applicable updated
    standards such as message signatures and the like. Claws does all of
    these things wonderfully well. The only issue Claws has is that it's
    not multithreaded. This isn't a huge problem. The only fix that'd be
    required would be to make it multithreaded. Obviously, being
    multithreaded isn't a requirement; slrn certainly isn't.

    Outlook Express and Windows Mail do not fit this standard, and thus can
    be considered to be not proper newsreaders since they both fail to
    implement current standards of message retrieval and display. For
    example, neither can display a message that is digitally signed unless
    the digital signature is inline and thus a nuisance for everyone that
    doesn't have a reader that can verify the signature.

    ----
    Dan C wrote in msgid :
    > Michael Trausch wrote in msgid <20081101011800.3c46a1b6@zest>:
    > > Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the
    > > UI when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be
    > > pretty damn close to perfect. :-)

    > A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    > and use your email client(s) for email.

    ----

    Here you slam Claws, tell me that I should learn how to use a
    newsreader (which, surprise, Claws is one), and then dictate workflow
    to me. Again, condescending. You also make the implication that
    practicing multithreaded programming and software modification is a
    waste of time, ergo advocating ignorance. Unwarranted hostility from
    me? No. Just a more than well-deserved and far more tolerant than
    should be response to your condescension from your soap box.

    I don't make a particularly good or tolerant bird-mother. Don't ask me
    to digest your food for you and regurgitate it again, thanks.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  17. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:36:41 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >> Another comment which is hard to understand. What's with the
    >> unwarranted hostility?

    > ----
    > Dan C wrote in msgid :
    >> Michael Trausch wrote in msgid <20081101011800.3c46a1b6@zest>:
    >> > Maybe if I get the time, I'll find out how to make it not block the
    >> > UI when doing long-waiting network operations, and then it will be
    >> > pretty damn close to perfect. :-)

    >> A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    >> and use your email client(s) for email.

    > ----

    > Here you slam Claws, tell me that I should learn how to use a newsreader
    > (which, surprise, Claws is one), and then dictate workflow to me.
    > Again, condescending.

    Wow. You're a sensitive little fella, eh? I did *not* slam Claws, did
    not "dictate" anything (it was a recommendation), and I don't think
    anything was condescending about it. More like trying to help a Usenet
    n00b learn how to use newsgroups more effectively.

    > You also make the implication that practicing
    > multithreaded programming and software modification is a waste of time,
    > ergo advocating ignorance.

    I made no such implication. Not even close.

    > Unwarranted hostility from me? No. Just a more than well-deserved and
    > far more tolerant than should be response to your condescension from
    >your soap box.

    There's that thing with condescension again. You really are new to
    Usenet, aren't you? Grow a thicker skin.

    > I don't make a particularly good or tolerant bird-mother. Don't ask me
    > to digest your food for you and regurgitate it again, thanks.

    LOL! That's rich! HAR! A Ubuntu newsgroup n00b, scolding me. That's
    the best laugh I'll have today, I'm sure.

    Keep at it, n00b. You'll get the hang of things, one day.

  18. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    On 01 Nov 2008 17:39:57 GMT
    Dan C wrote:

    > LOL! That's rich! HAR! A Ubuntu newsgroup n00b, scolding me.
    > That's the best laugh I'll have today, I'm sure.
    >
    > Keep at it, n00b. You'll get the hang of things, one day.

    You can earn the right to call someone a "n00b" (a term whose use
    itself indicates your maturity level, "l337" has _never_ been cool)
    when you grow up.

    You can talk about newsreading software after you've written some
    decent one. But that would be a silly duplicated effort unless you
    were doing it to learn more about how it worked in general.

    Congratulations on your backpedaling, by the way. Doesn't pull the
    wool over my---or anyone else's---eyes.

    Oh, and I've been on Usenet for far _roughly_ as long as Slackware has
    been in existence. You couldn't detect a newbie if it was right in
    front of you.

    Perhaps I've said it before, but C.O.L.A. is an excellent environment
    for persons such as yourself. Off you go.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  19. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/stfun00b.jpg

    > You can talk about newsreading software after you've written some decent
    > one. But that would be a silly duplicated effort unless you were doing
    > it to learn more about how it worked in general.

    Oh, OK. I didn't realize one had to write a newsreader in order to know
    anything about them. Which one(s) did you write?

    > Perhaps I've said it before, but C.O.L.A. is an excellent environment
    > for persons such as yourself. Off you go.

    I don't bother with that sewer.

    http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/hot-cup.jpg

  20. Re: MD5SUM for Intrepid Ibex

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 02:33:47 -0400, Lang wrote:
    >
    >>> A better use of your time would be learning how to use a newsreader,
    >>> and use your email client(s) for email.
    >>>
    >>> I suggest either 'Pan' or 'slrn'.

    >> Thunderbird's not a NG reader? Seems to be working fine here.

    > No, it isn't. It's an email client that (sort of) (half-assed) does
    > newsgroups too. Poorly.
    >
    > If you've not tried a real newsreader, you don't even know what you're
    > missing.

    I did try Pan. Dint work. Period. TB -is- a NG reader. Period. It works.
    Period. Next question...

    Lang