Ubuntu 8.10 released - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 released - Ubuntu ; The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready. Here's the torrent: http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent...

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 released

    The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.

    Here's the torrent:
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    Tony Manco ha scritto:
    > BubuXP wrote:
    >> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>
    >> Here's the torrent:
    >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>

    > I'll wait a couple of days before upgrading, the servers might be slow
    > at this point because of its high user demand.

    If you use the torrents, no slow servers

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    in 73193 20081030 162944 BubuXP wrote:
    >Tony Manco ha scritto:
    >> BubuXP wrote:
    >>> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the torrent:
    >>> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>>

    >> I'll wait a couple of days before upgrading, the servers might be slow
    >> at this point because of its high user demand.

    >If you use the torrents, no slow servers

    I just downloaded the .iso in a little over 4 minutes (from the Canonical Ltd UK site).

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On 2008-10-30, Tony Manco wrote:

    > BubuXP wrote:
    >> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>
    >> Here's the torrent:
    >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>

    > I'll wait a couple of days before upgrading, the servers might be slow
    > at this point because of its high user demand.

    That's a torrent - if you download it now you'll be helping alleviate
    the load

    --
    -Toby

  6. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:42:59 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:
    >in 73193 20081030 162944 BubuXP wrote:
    >>Tony Manco ha scritto:

    >>> I'll wait a couple of days before upgrading, the servers might be slow
    >>> at this point because of its high user demand.

    >>If you use the torrents, no slow servers

    >I just downloaded the .iso in a little over 4 minutes (from the Canonical Ltd UK site).

    I used rtorrent. It took about twenty minutes.

  7. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

  8. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:19:06 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:42:59 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:
    >>in 73193 20081030 162944 BubuXP wrote:

    >>>If you use the torrents, no slow servers

    >>I just downloaded the .iso in a little over 4 minutes (from the Canonical Ltd UK site).

    >I used rtorrent. It took about twenty minutes.

    yuck. Installed it and with my thinkpad x31, the mouse and keyboard are frozen.
    Pointer doesn't move and I can't log in. I can jump over to a tty session via
    control/alt/F1 and work there, but the X server is broken. Recreating xorg.conf
    didn't help either.

  9. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    BubuXP wrote:
    > The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >
    > Here's the torrent:
    > http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent

    My internet is too slow for Bittorrent. I wish it was different.

    I got about 20kbs for about an hour downloading it.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  10. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:34:45 +0000, Tony Manco wrote:

    > Upgraded with no problems :-)
    > - --
    > Firefox 3.0.3 .::. Thunderbird: 2.0.0.17.::. Ubuntu 8.04

    Oooooppps......... ;-)

  11. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:15:03 -0400, "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr."
    wrote:

    >BubuXP wrote:
    >> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>
    >> Here's the torrent:
    >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>

    >My internet is too slow for Bittorrent. I wish it was different.
    >
    >I got about 20kbs for about an hour downloading it.

    Mine isnt slow but I got 35KB and 7 hours plus. So I DL it direct and
    got it in 12 minutes.

  12. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On 2008-10-30, Tony Manco wrote:

    > BubuXP wrote:
    >> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>
    >> Here's the torrent:
    >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>

    > I'll wait a couple of days before upgrading, the servers might be slow
    > at this point because of its high user demand.

    Hint, the torrents are just about to get the turbos working to to the max.
    Bittorrent screams along when many a server peters out under the load.

    The same server can keep many torrents screaming along.

    Share the load, torrent. Do not be a sucker.

  13. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On 2008-10-30, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    > BubuXP wrote:
    >> The official site isn't updated, but the mirrors are ready.
    >>
    >> Here's the torrent:
    >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/...86.iso.torrent
    >>

    > My internet is too slow for Bittorrent. I wish it was different.
    >
    > I got about 20kbs for about an hour downloading it.

    Good grief with that attitude ....

    Torrents work best when everyone who wants the file gets in and offers what
    they have.

    okay, a torrent will start off slowly but as more and more people join the
    flow will be all that your bandwidth can handle.

    Hint, you may need to throttle your uploading band width as the bittorrent
    is determined to get those slices out there. It will take all your uplaod
    bandwidth given half a chance. Result, slow downloading.

  14. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

  15. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:04:25 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:19:06 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>>I just downloaded the .iso in a little over 4 minutes (from the Canonical Ltd UK site).

    >>I used rtorrent. It took about twenty minutes.

    >yuck. Installed it and with my thinkpad x31, the mouse and keyboard are frozen.
    >Pointer doesn't move and I can't log in. I can jump over to a tty session via
    >control/alt/F1 and work there, but the X server is broken. Recreating xorg.conf
    >didn't help either.

    Now I have joy.

    1) the last kernel I installed as an update (2.4.27-rc7) was bogus. I
    don't think it had xfs support and couldn't mount root. Selecting
    2.4.27-7 works.

    Networking support was messed up. Somehow packages were installed,
    but I couldn't force reinstalation. I reinstalled ubuntu 8.10 and now
    everything works. All my customizations on my account work fine
    including my wireless.

  16. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:04:25 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> I used rtorrent. It took about twenty minutes.

    >> yuck. Installed it and with my thinkpad x31, the mouse and keyboard are frozen.
    >> Pointer doesn't move and I can't log in. I can jump over to a tty session via
    >> control/alt/F1 and work there, but the X server is broken. Recreating xorg.conf
    >> didn't help either.

    > Now I have joy.
    >
    > 1) the last kernel I installed as an update (2.4.27-rc7) was bogus. I
    > don't think it had xfs support and couldn't mount root. Selecting
    > 2.4.27-7 works.
    >
    > Networking support was messed up. Somehow packages were installed,
    > but I couldn't force reinstalation. I reinstalled ubuntu 8.10 and now
    > everything works. All my customizations on my account work fine
    > including my wireless.

    I installed Mint Elyssa over the top of 8.10. The new X for 8.10 made is
    so that there were no longer drivers available to support my nVidia
    GForce card. Had a newer ATI card I stuck in and well, even though I got
    the drivers to install and Catalyst Control showed everything peachy it
    wasn't either. I guess if I didn't like Google Earth or at least some
    accelerated graphics stuff it would be okay, but its not for me. I could
    work for a fix or wait for a fix, but thought those days were over. I am
    dissappointed. Haven't been so dissappointed as since I upgraded to 6.04
    or 6.10 and had USB scanner issues. Oh well, maybe it doesn't pay to be
    such a "fan" and only find what is working best at the moment. I WILL
    also read release notes before installation from now on I promise
    (probably not).

  17. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 released

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 06:36:36 -0500
    gregg wrote:

    > I installed Mint Elyssa over the top of 8.10. The new X for 8.10 made
    > is so that there were no longer drivers available to support my
    > nVidia GForce card.

    Because the driver's are proprietary, you need to contact NVIDIA and
    ask them to forward-port their legacy drivers to the newer kernels...

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/