Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢ - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢ - Ubuntu ; Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow: howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’ http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid- ibex-081029/> TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6 Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about to ...

  1. Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow:

    howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article:

    Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’
    <http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    ibex-081029/>

    TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6

    Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about to
    release its next big update - Intrepid Ibex. In the past, the update
    servers would crash very quickly on a big release day, making it hard for
    people to get the latest update. With BitTorrent, however, this can be
    easily avoided.

  2. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’

    propman propmeup wrote:
    > Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow:
    >
    > howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article:
    >
    > Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’
    > <http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    > ibex-081029/>
    >
    > TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6
    >

    > Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about to
    > release its next big update - Intrepid Ibex. In the past, the update
    > servers would crash very quickly on a big release day, making it hard for
    > people to get the latest update. With BitTorrent, however, this can be
    > easily avoided.

    This might of been the URL you wanted.
    http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...d-ibex-081029/

    Yours broke on the 7th dash.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  3. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:19:13 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    > propman propmeup wrote:
    >> Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow:
    >>
    >> howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article:
    >>
    >> Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’
    >> <http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    >> ibex-081029/>
    >>
    >> TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6
    >>

    >> Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about to
    >> release its next big update - Intrepid Ibex. In the past, the update
    >> servers would crash very quickly on a big release day, making it hard
    >> for people to get the latest update. With BitTorrent, however, this can
    >> be easily avoided.
    >>

    > This might of been the URL you wanted.
    > http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    > ibex-081029/

    Nope...already had it as my original posting shows.

    > Yours broke on the 7th dash.

    Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)

  4. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    * propman propmeup wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:19:13 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> propman propmeup wrote:
    >>> Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow:
    >>>
    >>> howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article:
    >>>
    >>> Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’
    >>> <http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...buntu-intrepid
    >>> - ibex-081029/>
    >>>
    >>> TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6
    >>>

    >>> Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about
    >>> to release its next big update - Intrepid Ibex. In the past, the
    >>> update servers would crash very quickly on a big release day, making
    >>> it hard for people to get the latest update. With BitTorrent,
    >>> however, this can be easily avoided.
    >>>

    >> This might of been the URL you wanted.
    >> http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    >> ibex-081029/

    > Nope...already had it as my original posting shows.
    >

    >> Yours broke on the 7th dash.

    > Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    > newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    > string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside
    > of my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)

    It be nice if ALL newsreaders did that, but not the case unfortunatley,
    but you did provide the tinyurl link, which works just fine

    --
    David

  5. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:01:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >> Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    >> newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    >> string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    >> my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)
    >>

    > It be nice if ALL newsreaders did that, but not the case unfortunatley,
    > but you did provide the tinyurl link, which works just fine

    Thanks for the update. :-)

    BTW, saw your reply re: DSL and VB guest additions ISO; just finished
    downloading DSL ISO here and will be doing the VB install later today.
    Will let you know how it turns out. :-)

  6. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    * propman propmeup wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:01:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >

    >>> Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    >>> newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    >>> string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    >>> my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)
    >>>

    >> It be nice if ALL newsreaders did that, but not the case unfortunatley,
    >> but you did provide the tinyurl link, which works just fine

    > Thanks for the update. :-)
    >
    > BTW, saw your reply re: DSL and VB guest additions ISO; just finished
    > downloading DSL ISO here and will be doing the VB install later today.
    > Will let you know how it turns out. :-)

    Awesome! thanks!

    --
    David

  7. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’

    propman propmeup wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:19:13 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> propman propmeup wrote:
    >>> Might be of interest to anyone upgrading tomorrow:
    >>>
    >>> howtoforge.com feed has a pointer to the following article:
    >>>
    >>> Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’
    >>> <http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    >>> ibex-081029/>
    >>>
    >>> TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/63j3o6
    >>>

    >>> Ubuntu, the open source GNU/Linux based operating system, is about to
    >>> release its next big update - Intrepid Ibex. In the past, the update
    >>> servers would crash very quickly on a big release day, making it hard
    >>> for people to get the latest update. With BitTorrent, however, this can
    >>> be easily avoided.
    >>>

    >> This might of been the URL you wanted.
    >> http://torrentfreak.com/use-bittorre...untu-intrepid-
    >> ibex-081029/

    > Nope...already had it as my original posting shows.
    >
    >> Yours broke on the 7th dash.

    > Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    > newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    > string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    > my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)

    I apologize. Thunderbird didn't like it.

    Screenshot: http://i33.tinypic.com/4t9fmo.png

    And yes, my Ubuntu is beautiful.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  8. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:17:24 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    >> Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    >> newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    >> string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    >> my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)
    >>

    > I apologize. Thunderbird didn't like it.
    >
    > Screenshot: http://i33.tinypic.com/4t9fmo.png

    Hmmmm........thanks for posting the png, David. I am **very surprised**
    that Thunderbird barfed on that! Will have to check that out in my copy
    of Thunderbird later on.....might have to send in a bug report (if it's
    not already been reported.

    Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)

  9. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:17:33 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * propman propmeup wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> It be nice if ALL newsreaders did that, but not the case
    >>> unfortunatley, but you did provide the tinyurl link, which works just
    >>> fine

    >> Thanks for the update. :-)
    >>
    >> BTW, saw your reply re: DSL and VB guest additions ISO; just finished
    >> downloading DSL ISO here and will be doing the VB install later today.
    >> Will let you know how it turns out. :-)
    >>

    > Awesome! thanks!

    Did the install (to hard drive) and then successfully mounted the guest
    additions ISO into /cdrom. Ran the script and found out that the
    compiling tools weren't included in what I'd downloaded, so I stopped
    there as I want to get into installing/playing with (k)unbuntu's today.

    .......and I have a hunch what may be causing the problem at your end.
    When you make the switchover from the DSL.ISO to the GuestAdditions.ISO
    you have to completely power off the DSL VM session otherwise VB won't
    allow access to the CDROM setup; that is; you can't access the CDROM
    setup from a "saved machine" state.

    Can you please let me know how you are making out....thanks. :-)

  10. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]

    > ......and I have a hunch what may be causing the problem at your end.
    > When you make the switchover from the DSL.ISO to the GuestAdditions.ISO
    > you have to completely power off the DSL VM session otherwise VB won't
    > allow access to the CDROM setup;

    Yeah, did that several times, in fact, I removed the dsl.sio from the disk
    manager and then selected the guest additions iso while the machine was in
    a powered off state and the details tab shows the VboxGuestAdditions.iso in
    the CD/DVD-ROM. Tried again just before posting this message and still no
    joy. Odd thing is that I have set up several VM's using VB and never had
    this issue.

    Where are you finding the mounted iso?

    /mnt/cdrom
    /cdrom
    ?

    Thanks!

    --
    David

  11. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’

    propman wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:17:24 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >

    >>> Nope it's wrapped but enclosed in < >, which AFAIK, means that a
    >>> newsreader will treat anything inside those brackets as one continuous
    >>> string. Just to verify this, I brought up my original message inside of
    >>> my newsreader and clicked on the link...worked fine. :-)
    >>>

    >> I apologize. Thunderbird didn't like it.
    >>
    >> Screenshot: http://i33.tinypic.com/4t9fmo.png

    > Hmmmm........thanks for posting the png, David. I am **very surprised**
    > that Thunderbird barfed on that! Will have to check that out in my copy
    > of Thunderbird later on.....might have to send in a bug report (if it's
    > not already been reported.
    >
    > Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)

    I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 an the link works just fine.

  12. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ‘Intrepid Ibex’

    CountryGuy wrote:
    > propman wrote:

    >>> I apologize. Thunderbird didn't like it.
    >>>
    >>> Screenshot: http://i33.tinypic.com/4t9fmo.png

    >> Hmmmm........thanks for posting the png, David. I am **very
    >> surprised** that Thunderbird barfed on that! Will have to check that
    >> out in my copy of Thunderbird later on.....might have to send in a bug
    >> report (if it's not already been reported.
    >>
    >> Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)
    >>

    > I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 an the link works just fine.

    I'm bad. It only used the first line, not the whole url. Sorry for the
    bad info.

  13. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:31:43 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> ......and I have a hunch what may be causing the problem at your end.
    >> When you make the switchover from the DSL.ISO to the GuestAdditions.ISO
    >> you have to completely power off the DSL VM session otherwise VB won't
    >> allow access to the CDROM setup;

    > Yeah, did that several times, in fact, I removed the dsl.sio from the
    > disk manager and then selected the guest additions iso while the machine
    > was in a powered off state and the details tab shows the
    > VboxGuestAdditions.iso in the CD/DVD-ROM. Tried again just before
    > posting this message and still no joy. Odd thing is that I have set up
    > several VM's using VB and never had this issue.
    >
    > Where are you finding the mounted iso?
    >
    > /mnt/cdrom
    > /cdrom
    > ?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You will also have to mount it inside the OS as it's not automatically
    mounted, eg:

    sudo mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom

  14. Re: Use BitTorrent to Upgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:31:43 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> ......and I have a hunch what may be causing the problem at your
    >>> end. When you make the switchover from the DSL.ISO to the
    >>> GuestAdditions.ISO you have to completely power off the DSL VM
    >>> session otherwise VB won't allow access to the CDROM setup;

    >> Yeah, did that several times, in fact, I removed the dsl.sio from the
    >> disk manager and then selected the guest additions iso while the
    >> machine was in a powered off state and the details tab shows the
    >> VboxGuestAdditions.iso in the CD/DVD-ROM. Tried again just before
    >> posting this message and still no joy. Odd thing is that I have set
    >> up several VM's using VB and never had this issue.
    >>
    >> Where are you finding the mounted iso?
    >>
    >> /mnt/cdrom
    >> /cdrom
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You will also have to mount it inside the OS as it's not automatically
    > mounted, eg:
    >
    > sudo mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom

    DOH! now I feel stupid....

    I am so accustomed to it auto mounting that I didnt even think about
    doing it manually!

    AND, its in the doc!

    Thanks for sticking with my stupiditiy, all is right in the world now.

    --
    David

  15. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:26:41 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:31:43 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >>
    >>> * propman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, did that several times, in fact, I removed the dsl.sio from the
    >>> disk manager and then selected the guest additions iso while the
    >>> machine was in a powered off state and the details tab shows the
    >>> VboxGuestAdditions.iso in the CD/DVD-ROM. Tried again just before
    >>> posting this message and still no joy. Odd thing is that I have set up
    >>> several VM's using VB and never had this issue.
    >>>
    >>> Where are you finding the mounted iso?
    >>>
    >>> /mnt/cdrom
    >>> /cdrom
    >>> ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> You will also have to mount it inside the OS as it's not automatically
    >> mounted, eg:
    >>
    >> sudo mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom

    > DOH! now I feel stupid....
    >
    > I am so accustomed to it auto mounting that I didnt even think about
    > doing it manually!
    >
    > AND, its in the doc!
    >
    > Thanks for sticking with my stupiditiy, all is right in the world now.

    Heh! Good to hear that the problem's resolved! Don't feel to bad though
    as it also took me a "little" while to grok the proceedure. :-)

  16. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:05:02 -0500, CountryGuy wrote:

    > propman wrote:

    >>> I apologize. Thunderbird didn't like it.
    >>>
    >>> Screenshot: http://i33.tinypic.com/4t9fmo.png

    >> Hmmmm........thanks for posting the png, David. I am **very
    >> surprised** that Thunderbird barfed on that! Will have to check that
    >> out in my copy of Thunderbird later on.....might have to send in a bug
    >> report (if it's not already been reported.
    >>
    >> Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)
    >>

    > I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 an the link works just fine.

    Thanks for the update...much appreciated. :-)

  17. Re: Use BitTorrent toUpgrade to Ubuntu ¡Intrepid Ibex¢

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:12:02 -0500, CountryGuy wrote:

    > CountryGuy wrote:
    >> propman wrote:

    >>> Hmmmm........thanks for posting the png, David. I am **very
    >>> surprised** that Thunderbird barfed on that! Will have to check that
    >>> out in my copy of Thunderbird later on.....might have to send in a bug
    >>> report (if it's not already been reported.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again....much appreciated. :-)
    >>>

    >> I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.17 an the link works just fine.

    > I'm bad. It only used the first line, not the whole url. Sorry for the
    > bad info.

    Ahhh...OK. Back to the drawing board then (when I get a chance to that
    is)....thanks again. :-)

+ Reply to Thread