GUi for setting up LVM - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on GUi for setting up LVM - Ubuntu ; I have a machine which runs Hardy and where I want to create a partition spanning two disks. I recall that in Fedora, there is a GUI called system-config-lvm or something, is there a GUI for LVM under ubuntu, thanks ...

  1. GUi for setting up LVM

    I have a machine which runs Hardy and where I want to create a
    partition spanning two disks. I recall that in Fedora, there is a GUI
    called system-config-lvm or something, is there a GUI for LVM under
    ubuntu, thanks a lot
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: GUi for setting up LVM

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:03:48 -0500
    Ignoramus32330 wrote:

    > I have a machine which runs Hardy and where I want to create a
    > partition spanning two disks. I recall that in Fedora, there is a GUI
    > called system-config-lvm or something, is there a GUI for LVM under
    > ubuntu, thanks a lot

    Doesn't look like Hardy has it, but Intrepid has system-config-lvm.

    Perhaps I can backport it, depending on what all would be involved,
    I'll let you know a little later when I have a chance to take a look at
    it.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  3. Re: GUi for setting up LVM

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:03:48 -0500
    > Ignoramus32330 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a machine which runs Hardy and where I want to create a
    >> partition spanning two disks. I recall that in Fedora, there is a GUI
    >> called system-config-lvm or something, is there a GUI for LVM under
    >> ubuntu, thanks a lot

    > Doesn't look like Hardy has it, but Intrepid has system-config-lvm.
    >
    > Perhaps I can backport it, depending on what all would be involved,
    > I'll let you know a little later when I have a chance to take a look at
    > it.
    >
    > --- Mike

    I use webmin to perform much of my system maintenance and it does support
    lvm. You might want to look into that to see if it fills your
    requirements. www.webmin.com

  4. Re: GUi for setting up LVM

    On 2008-10-30, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:03:48 -0500
    > Ignoramus32330 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a machine which runs Hardy and where I want to create a
    >> partition spanning two disks. I recall that in Fedora, there is a GUI
    >> called system-config-lvm or something, is there a GUI for LVM under
    >> ubuntu, thanks a lot

    > Doesn't look like Hardy has it, but Intrepid has system-config-lvm.
    >
    > Perhaps I can backport it, depending on what all would be involved,
    > I'll let you know a little later when I have a chance to take a look at
    > it.

    I would love to see it on Hardy, my employer is standardizing on it

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: GUi for setting up LVM

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:06:26 -0500
    Ignoramus32330 wrote:

    > I would love to see it on Hardy, my employer is standardizing on it

    In that case, I highly doubt that they will want to use software that
    is considered to be unsupported; even in Intrepid, system-config-lvm is
    in the Universe repository, which means that Canonical won't support
    its use as far as support contracts go.

    In the meantime (as I haven't gotten to it yet) you may want to read up
    on the command line tools that comprise the LVM2 management utilities.
    There are some documents worth reading:

    http://sources.redhat.com/lvm2/wiki/UserDocumentation
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

    Of course, the man pages will help, as well; if you are able to print
    the man pages out, all the better. You can format man pages for
    printing very easily:

    man -t $MANPAGE | lp

    Of course, replace "$MANPAGE" with the name of the command that you
    want the page for, such as pvscan, vgscan, lvscan, vgchange, etc.

    Should have some time tomorrow to look at the possibility of
    backporting system-config-lvm to Hardy.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.