Intrepid / Crossover games problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Intrepid / Crossover games problem - Ubuntu ; I've done a clean install of Intrepid tonight, along with Crossover Games. Still trying to get wicd to install, and couldn't get ndiswrapper to install for some reason, but... (it appears my adaptor might actually be recognised anyway now from ...

  1. Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    I've done a clean install of Intrepid tonight, along with Crossover
    Games.

    Still trying to get wicd to install, and couldn't get ndiswrapper to
    install for some reason, but... (it appears my adaptor might actually
    be recognised anyway now from the hardware scanner, but still haven't
    managed to get it to work independently yet (got it plugged in to my
    router atm))

    During the install, I opted to install Steam - despite the installer
    having completed, I can't "see" the Steam window on the desktop,
    although it shows as being open on the workspace selector util :-}

    Got me foxed - any ideas ?

  2. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    > During the install, I opted to install Steam - despite the installer
    > having completed, I can't "see" the Steam window on the desktop,
    > although it shows as being open on the workspace selector util :-}

    Plot thickens - I went to restart the machine, and the window appeared
    as it was shutting down...

  3. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games *resolved*

    Ditch the eye-candy that gets switched on by default :-}

  4. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:00:46 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

    > I've done a clean install of Intrepid tonight, along with Crossover
    > Games.
    >
    > Still trying to get wicd to install, and couldn't get ndiswrapper to
    > install for some reason, but... (it appears my adaptor might actually be
    > recognised anyway now from the hardware scanner, but still haven't
    > managed to get it to work independently yet (got it plugged in to my
    > router atm))
    >
    > During the install, I opted to install Steam - despite the installer
    > having completed, I can't "see" the Steam window on the desktop,
    > although it shows as being open on the workspace selector util :-}
    >
    > Got me foxed - any ideas ?

    Have you tried normal Wine? I've gotten my Steam games to work reasonably
    well with that. Haven't bothered to try using Crossover.

  5. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    Colin Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I've done a clean install of Intrepid tonight, along with Crossover
    > Games.
    >
    > Still trying to get wicd to install, and couldn't get ndiswrapper to
    > install for some reason, but... (it appears my adaptor might actually
    > be recognised anyway now from the hardware scanner, but still haven't
    > managed to get it to work independently yet (got it plugged in to my
    > router atm))

    Kernel 2.6.27 actually has a few more atheros open source drivers
    within it by default

    I don't know if this will wokr for you as you haven't told us your
    wireless chipset, but I've had some success by disabling the "atheros
    restricted driver" "System - Administration - Hardware Drivers" and
    rebooting. The built in kernel driver then licked in for me and worked
    a treat.

    Could be worth a try.

    --
    Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to wear ear plugs. ~ Spike
    Milligan

  6. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    > Kernel 2.6.27 actually has a few more atheros open source drivers
    > within it by default
    > I don't know if this will wokr for you as you haven't told us your
    > wireless chipset

    It's a broadcom BT1060 adaptor - and after a hardware scan when my
    attempts with ndiswrapper and a botched driver grab from a 'doze
    machine failed (via wired connection), it found it - happy bunny !

  7. Re: Intrepid / Crossover games problem

    Colin Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Kernel 2.6.27 actually has a few more atheros open source drivers
    >> within it by default
    >> I don't know if this will wokr for you as you haven't told us your
    >> wireless chipset

    > It's a broadcom BT1060 adaptor - and after a hardware scan when my
    > attempts with ndiswrapper and a botched driver grab from a 'doze
    > machine failed (via wired connection), it found it - happy bunny !

    OK. Good news.

    As an aside, anyone using certain wireless chips (look at the info for
    the package for full details)
    linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
    This contains a number of modules for wireless chipsets. Ubuntu have
    decided not to install it as standard as a lot of people upgrading
    will be using madwifi and apparently there is a conflict.

    This is specifically useful for people wanting to run Intrepid on an
    Acer Aspire One.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

+ Reply to Thread