Ubuntu vs Xandros - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu vs Xandros - Ubuntu ; I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have learned to use it. My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$ Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so ...

  1. Ubuntu vs Xandros

    I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have learned
    to use it.
    My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$ Windoze
    when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about Xandros? (I'm not
    going to purchase and install to find out)

  2. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Pete wrote:
    > I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    > learned to use it.
    > My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    > Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about
    > Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  3. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    >> learned to use it.
    >> My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$ Windoze
    >> when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about Xandros? (I'm
    >> not going to purchase and install to find out)

    > You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >
    > --
    > ________
    > David M Lemcoe Jr.
    > ender@ender.ath.cx
    > Roswell, Georgia
    > Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    Thanks.
    Cheaper to come here!

  4. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Pete schreef:
    > I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    > learned to use it.
    > My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    > Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about
    > Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    You know you support Microsoft.
    Or was it the other way around?

    Anyhow, just google on xandros microsoft.

    When you are from a country that does not respect Common Sense when it
    comes to (software) patents you might feel obliged to shell out for a
    distro that includes 'licensed' versions of things considered free in
    the rest of the world.

    I kinder me thinks it's a test bed to find out how stupid/gullible
    people can get.

  5. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Pete wrote:

    > "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    > news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    >>> learned to use it.
    >>> My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    >>> Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about
    >>> Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    >> You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ________
    >> David M Lemcoe Jr.
    >> ender@ender.ath.cx
    >> Roswell, Georgia
    >> Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    > Thanks.
    > Cheaper to come here!

    Don't you know it. I promise that (for the price FREE) IRC and the
    newsgroups that you will be much happier.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  6. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    >> news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>> You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ________
    >>> David M Lemcoe Jr.
    >>> ender@ender.ath.cx
    >>> Roswell, Georgia
    >>> Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    >> Thanks.
    >> Cheaper to come here!

    > Don't you know it. I promise that (for the price FREE) IRC and the
    > newsgroups that you will be much happier.

    Oh my that was horrible grammar.

    Between the newsgroups and IRC channels, you never will need to pay for
    support.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  7. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in

    > Pete wrote:
    >> I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    >> learned to use it.
    >> My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    >> Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about
    >> Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    > You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.

    $100 for this support ? ......

    Basic Support for Desktop

    Basic support is included with all Xandros Desktop products and provides
    the following:

    Installation support via e-mail
    4 hour response time
    Monday Friday 8:00-20:00 EST

    Basic support covers the following areas:

    * Installation on a single workstation or laptop with a compatible
    processor with at least 64 Megabytes of RAM, and 1.5 Gigabytes of free
    hard disk space.
    * Resize and installation on a single Windows partition (FAT16 &
    FAT32 file systems)
    * Resize and installation on a single Windows partition (NTFS)
    (Deluxe edition only)
    * Configuration of the graphical user interface, not including
    hardware acceleration.
    * Configuration of the default Xandros applications included on the
    installation CD(s)
    * Installation of the Xandros boot manager to the master boot record
    (MBR) or to a floppy disk.
    * Configuration of Internet access with a supported network
    connection type, and supported hardware devices. (PPP/PPPoE, Ethernet &
    cable modems)
    * Installation and configuration of applications and updates
    downloaded from Xandros Networks
    * Installation of supported Windows applications with CrossOver
    Office (Deluxe edition only)
    * Installation of supported Windows plug-ins with CrossOver Plug-in
    (Deluxe edition only)
    * Installation of a supported printer (USB, parallel, Unix and
    Windows network printers)
    * Configuration of Windows file and printer sharing (Samba) using the
    Xandros GUI tools

  8. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Pete wrote:
    > I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    > learned to use it.

    There are some who say that CNR has great potential. There is an
    excellent article about Opium that is worth reading.

    > My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    > Windoze when other linux distros are FREE?

    I wouldn't call xandros commercial model 'almost as expensive as MS' or
    even close. Unless you are just trolling, if you really want to know the
    answers to questions like "How does Xandros think they can charge for
    their OS/distro when many other fine distros do not?" then you should
    research the issue first, rather than just blurting out what some might
    consider to be inflammatory and therefore trollish in an Ub group.

    > What's so great about
    > Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    Xandros business model involves including significant proprietary ware
    which has been 'paid for', whereas some other usages of some types of
    proprietary ware has not been paid for. Xandros was one of the distros
    who felt that it was of value or appropriate to make a deal with MS and
    did so. I hope we aren't going to argue about that in this thread.
    Xandros has absorbed other distros which were based on a non-free distro,
    such as Linspire and Corel Linux, which gave them ownership of
    linspireware and corelware along with their own xandrosware, all
    proprietary in one way or another.

    Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with developing a
    business model which involves a combination of support and the usage of
    proprietary licensing mixed in with open source and its form of licensing.
    There are rules in place for all of that which make for a reasonable
    business model which has a mixture of FOSS and non FOSS.

    I don't think the entire xandros idea is based on its tiny little bit of
    support -- whereas the canonical model of support /is/ based on some
    pretty serious support of ub.

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:y92dnXgLmuMZcJXUnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    >> learned to use it.

    > There are some who say that CNR has great potential. There is an
    > excellent article about Opium that is worth reading.
    >
    >> My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    >> Windoze when other linux distros are FREE?

    > I wouldn't call xandros commercial model 'almost as expensive as MS' or
    > even close. Unless you are just trolling, if you really want to know the
    > answers to questions like "How does Xandros think they can charge for
    > their OS/distro when many other fine distros do not?" then you should
    > research the issue first, rather than just blurting out what some might
    > consider to be inflammatory and therefore trollish in an Ub group.
    >
    >> What's so great about
    >> Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    > Xandros business model involves including significant proprietary ware
    > which has been 'paid for', whereas some other usages of some types of
    > proprietary ware has not been paid for. Xandros was one of the distros
    > who felt that it was of value or appropriate to make a deal with MS and
    > did so. I hope we aren't going to argue about that in this thread.
    > Xandros has absorbed other distros which were based on a non-free distro,
    > such as Linspire and Corel Linux, which gave them ownership of
    > linspireware and corelware along with their own xandrosware, all
    > proprietary in one way or another.
    >
    > Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with developing a
    > business model which involves a combination of support and the usage of
    > proprietary licensing mixed in with open source and its form of licensing.
    > There are rules in place for all of that which make for a reasonable
    > business model which has a mixture of FOSS and non FOSS.
    >
    > I don't think the entire xandros idea is based on its tiny little bit of
    > support -- whereas the canonical model of support /is/ based on some
    > pretty serious support of ub.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    On the other hand, Xandros can cost more than Vista Basic.
    It certainly costs more than what Dell might pay in bulk.
    I prefer not to make deals with the dark side. :-)

  10. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Yep. Not a new thing

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  11. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    "Pete" wrote in message

    > "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    > news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I find Ubuntu to be excellent. I also like the CNR now that I have
    >>> learned to use it.
    >>> My question is this, what makes XANDROS almost as expensive as M$
    >>> Windoze when other linux distros are FREE? What's so great about
    >>> Xandros? (I'm not going to purchase and install to find out)

    >> You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ________
    >> David M Lemcoe Jr.
    >> ender@ender.ath.cx
    >> Roswell, Georgia
    >> Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    > Thanks.
    > Cheaper to come here!

    LOL. That is funny. All I've ever gotten here was a bunch of sniveling
    nerds telling me to google it. I guess I'll get labeled a troll now. Truth
    be told, there have been a couple reasonable people here who are congenial
    and helpful. The overwhelming majority are out to prove how much more
    clever they are and to respond to trolls, than to be helpful and promote the
    OS.

    I tried Ubuntu. I got it to 'sort of' work. I got it to connect to the
    internet but it it never talked to the other computers (mostly MS) on the
    in-house net. It never talked to the networked printers either. The
    machines we got with Xandros (eeePC's) all hooked straight up with minimal
    configuration. That is worth the price in my book.

    Ed

  12. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Pete" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    >> news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>> You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ________
    >>> David M Lemcoe Jr.
    >>> ender@ender.ath.cx
    >>> Roswell, Georgia
    >>> Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    >> Thanks.
    >> Cheaper to come here!

    > LOL. That is funny. All I've ever gotten here was a bunch of sniveling
    > nerds telling me to google it. I guess I'll get labeled a troll now.
    > Truth be told, there have been a couple reasonable people here who are
    > congenial and helpful. The overwhelming majority are out to prove how
    > much more clever they are and to respond to trolls, than to be helpful
    > and promote the OS.
    >
    > I tried Ubuntu. I got it to 'sort of' work. I got it to connect to the
    > internet but it it never talked to the other computers (mostly MS) on
    > the in-house net. It never talked to the networked printers either.
    > The machines we got with Xandros (eeePC's) all hooked straight up with
    > minimal configuration. That is worth the price in my book.
    >
    > Ed

    Since I'm new to Ubuntu I can't diagnose your issue. I can only speak
    to my experience.

    Got the new machine with Ubuntu. Installed first user, changed root's
    password and done. It connected to my network, found and can use my
    NAS, printers and public shares on 4 Windows machines with no problem.

  13. Re: Ubuntu vs Xandros

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Pete" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote in message
    >> news:8u3Ok.49267$IB6.4925@bignews8.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>> You pay for the support. Kind of like RedHat.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ________
    >>> David M Lemcoe Jr.
    >>> ender@ender.ath.cx
    >>> Roswell, Georgia
    >>> Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

    >> Thanks.
    >> Cheaper to come here!

    > LOL. That is funny. All I've ever gotten here was a bunch of sniveling
    > nerds telling me to google it. I guess I'll get labeled a troll now.
    > Truth be told, there have been a couple reasonable people here who are
    > congenial and helpful. The overwhelming majority are out to prove how
    > much more clever they are and to respond to trolls, than to be helpful
    > and promote the OS.
    >
    > I tried Ubuntu. I got it to 'sort of' work. I got it to connect to the
    > internet but it it never talked to the other computers (mostly MS) on
    > the in-house net. It never talked to the networked printers either.
    > The machines we got with Xandros (eeePC's) all hooked straight up with
    > minimal configuration. That is worth the price in my book.
    >
    > Ed

    You must just have odd printers and such. I made the switch about two
    months ago, and I swear things haven't been better. Setting up printers
    was a matter of selecting the model, and apt-get is the best thing I
    have ever used!

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.