Suggestions. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Suggestions. - Ubuntu ; The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu. While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do count, so I've had this thought. I don't ...

  1. Suggestions.

    The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.

    While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.

    Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or something).

    I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).

    How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think? Or
    do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a brain-
    fart.

    Tony(UK).

  2. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) schreef:
    > The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    > hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >
    > While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    > count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    > suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.
    >
    > Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    > operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    > where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    > etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or something).
    >
    > I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    > about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    > different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).
    >
    > How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think? Or
    > do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a brain-
    > fart.
    >
    > Tony(UK).

    Kubuntu

  3. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) wrote:
    > The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    > hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >
    > While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    > count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    > suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.
    >
    > Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    > operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    > where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    > etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or something).
    >
    > I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    > about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    > different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).
    >
    > How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think? Or
    > do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a brain-
    > fart.
    >
    > Tony(UK).

    It seems a good idea to me.

    P.S: I'm still using the default theme on my ubuntu boxes

    --
    rIO.sK

  4. Re: Suggestions.

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:38:48 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Tony(UK) schreef:
    >> The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    >> hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    >> count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    >> suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.
    >>
    >> Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    >> operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    >> where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    >> etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or
    >> something).
    >>
    >> I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    >> about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    >> different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).
    >>
    >> How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think?
    >> Or do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a
    >> brain- fart.
    >>
    >> Tony(UK).

    > Kubuntu

    And for those who prefer Gnome?

    Tony(UK)

  5. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:38:48 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Tony(UK) schreef:
    >>> The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    >>> hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    >>> count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    >>> suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    >>> operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    >>> where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    >>> etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or
    >>> something).
    >>>
    >>> I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    >>> about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    >>> different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).
    >>>
    >>> How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think?
    >>> Or do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a
    >>> brain- fart.
    >>>
    >>> Tony(UK).

    >> Kubuntu

    > And for those who prefer Gnome?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    'Gnubuntu', with a choice of themes? After all, IIRC this is already buitl
    in to Fluxbuntu.

  6. Re: Suggestions.

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:23:13 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Tony(UK) wrote:

    >>> Kubuntu

    >> And for those who prefer Gnome?
    >>
    >> Tony(UK)

    > 'Gnubuntu', with a choice of themes? After all, IIRC this is already
    > buitl in to Fluxbuntu.

    So if this is the case with Gnubuntu, and already built into Fluxbuntu,
    why not the case with Ubuntu? I've posted the idea on Brainstorm, and
    don't understand why I should have to switch to a more friendly 'buntu
    just to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
    I'm not going to beat myself up over it though - just thought it would
    reduce the number of comments such as; 'I haven't used it, but I won't
    because I don't like the screenshots', or 'The look is terrible - I'm
    sticking with Windows'.

  7. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    > How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think?

    For some reason, I'm not accessing the ub brainstorm site^1 right now
    except googlecache, but according to the linuxloop blog^2, who keeps up
    with the brainstorm site all the time and regurgitates the ideas from
    there, the developers pay close attention to what is being discussed there
    and how popular an idea or suggestion seems to be.

    ^1 http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ Post your ideas and vote for the entries
    you like. Please read the posting guidelines and check if your idea has
    been posted already!

    ^2 http://www.linuxloop.com/news/category/brainstorms/ Archive for the
    'Brainstorms' Category

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) wrote:

    > I've posted the idea on Brainstorm,

    Oops. Then disregard my brainstorm suggestion.

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Suggestions.

    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/search?...ring=mostvotes

    --
    David

  10. Re: Suggestions.

    On 2008-10-29, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    > operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    > where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    > etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or something).

    I will have to admit the idea of a 'wizard' sound just a little too much
    like a windows setup guide for my taste.

    Andrew
    --
    echo 'hfrarg.naqerj@tznvy.pbz' | \
    tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'

  11. Re: Suggestions.

    Tony(UK) wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:38:48 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >

    >> Tony(UK) schreef:
    >>
    >>> The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    >>> hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> While we all know that this is easily changed, first impressions do
    >>> count, so I've had this thought. I don't know if this has already been
    >>> suggested - I cannot find any references to something like it anyhow.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    >>> operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    >>> where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    >>> etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or
    >>> something).
    >>>
    >>> I think this would prevent the derogatory comments that are being made
    >>> about in places about Ubuntu being brown, and post install wizards of
    >>> different nature are not uncommon these days (Pardus, etc.).
    >>>
    >>> How would one go about suggesting this to the developers do you think?
    >>> Or do you reckon that it has already been thought of and I have had a
    >>> brain- fart.
    >>>
    >>> Tony(UK).
    >>>

    >> Kubuntu
    >>

    > And for those who prefer Gnome?
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    I prefer GNOME.

    --
    John

  12. Re: Suggestions.

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-10-29, Tony(UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    >> operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in Ubuntu
    >> where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes (blue, dark,
    >> etc. in a window similar to the background selection pane (or something).

    > I will have to admit the idea of a 'wizard' sound just a little too much
    > like a windows setup guide for my taste.

    Hmm if I'm not wrong I remember the graphical installation actually IS a
    wizard.

    --
    rIO.sK

  13. Re: Suggestions.

    * andrew wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2008-10-29, Tony(UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at Linux Mint's way of an introduction 'wizard' when the
    >> operating system is first used, how about a similar wizard in
    >> Ubuntu where a new user can choose from a pre-selection of themes
    >> (blue, dark, etc. in a window similar to the background selection
    >> pane (or something).

    > I will have to admit the idea of a 'wizard' sound just a little too
    > much like a windows setup guide for my taste.

    Running things like dpkg-reconfigure can be considered a wizard,
    no? Just without the pretty pictures

    --
    David

  14. Re: Suggestions.

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:54:18 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    > hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.

    So change it !!!!!!!! Thats what you have gnome-look and kde-look for ???
    Havnt people heard of customising their experience ?????

  15. Re: Suggestions.

    with toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:54:18 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:
    >
    >> The impression I get around the Internet is that people either love or
    >> hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu.
    >>

    > So change it !!!!!!!! Thats what you have gnome-look and kde-look for
    > ??? Havnt people heard of customising their experience ?????

    Exactly. I can't believe the rubbish this thread has thrown up.

    If people base their choice of OS by the color scheme or theme, let them
    stay with the OS they are familiar with. If they don't have the noodles to
    figure out how to change desktop wallpaper or theme, then they obviously
    don't have the nous to run Linux, and we're better off without them asking
    inane questions in newsgroups and forums.

    I agree that 8.10's base theme is hideous, but I keep 600+ wallpapers in
    my /home partition and use wallpapoz to manage 8 desktops with a different
    wallpaper on each, changing every 15 minutes.

    --
    Rob
    May the torque be about you.

  16. Re: Suggestions.

    aspir8or wrote:
    > Exactly. I can't believe the rubbish this thread has thrown up.
    >
    > If people base their choice of OS by the color scheme or theme, let them
    > stay with the OS they are familiar with. If they don't have the noodles to
    > figure out how to change desktop wallpaper or theme, then they obviously
    > don't have the nous to run Linux, and we're better off without them asking
    > inane questions in newsgroups and forums.

    This is EXACTLY the way of thinking that Linux community DOESN'T need.

    "Can't you do that by yourself ? So go with another OS"

    We where talking about a simple theme chooser during installation, not a
    complete kernel rewrite..please... try to be a little bit OPEN minded,
    as your os already is..

    --
    rIO.sK

  17. Re: Suggestions.

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:27:02 +0100, rIO wrote:

    > aspir8or wrote:
    >> Exactly. I can't believe the rubbish this thread has thrown up.
    >>
    >> If people base their choice of OS by the color scheme or theme, let
    >> them stay with the OS they are familiar with. If they don't have the
    >> noodles to figure out how to change desktop wallpaper or theme, then
    >> they obviously don't have the nous to run Linux, and we're better off
    >> without them asking inane questions in newsgroups and forums.
    >>

    > This is EXACTLY the way of thinking that Linux community DOESN'T need.
    >
    > "Can't you do that by yourself ? So go with another OS"
    >
    > We where talking about a simple theme chooser during installation, not a
    > complete kernel rewrite..please... try to be a little bit OPEN minded,
    > as your os already is..

    Whats your friggin problem rl0 ? How easy is it to change the background
    wallpaper and the colour scheme ????? Its just as easy as if you were
    doing it under Windows (upto XP).

    Any distro, MAC, Windows & Linux comes with a default scheme setup. And
    one of the first things you do is customisation. Doing something so easy
    doesnt need a "Howto", its as easy as taking a leak. So saying this isnt
    the right thinking is rubbish.

    If someone asks a real technical question, then someone is there to help.
    But come on, slapping my wrist because of something soooo simple, and
    that wasnt even worth asking.

    Your correct in thinking that newbies are either fast to learn or not as
    fast. But get your priorities right.

  18. Re: Suggestions.

    Ubuntu is a community developed operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. Whether you use it at home, at school or at work Ubuntu contains all the applications you'll ever need, from word processing and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.

    Ubuntu is and always will be free of charge. You do not pay any licensing fees. You can download, use and share Ubuntu with your friends, family, school or business for absolutely nothing.

    We issue a new desktop and server release every six months. That means you'll always have the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer.

    Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server. There is no extra fee for the LTS version, we make our very best work available to everyone on the same free terms. Upgrades to new versions of Ubuntu are and always will be free of charge.

    Everything you need comes on one CD, providing a complete working environment. Additional software is available online.

    The graphical installer enables you to get up and running quickly and easily. A standard installation should take less than 25 minutes.

    Once installed your system is immediately ready-to-use. On the desktop you have a full set of productivity, internet, drawing and graphics applications, and games.

+ Reply to Thread