alsa question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on alsa question - Ubuntu ; I am trying to record via microphone. 'aplay' works fine. I ran 'alsamixer' and maxed out volume and unmuted every channel. Then I ran 'man arecord' and followed its instructions. I set up an alias using cut-n-paste from the manpage: ...

  1. alsa question

    I am trying to record via microphone. 'aplay' works fine. I ran
    'alsamixer' and maxed out volume and unmuted every channel. Then I ran
    'man arecord' and followed its instructions. I set up an alias using
    cut-n-paste from the manpage:
    alias record='arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D copy foobar.wav'
    Then I set up ~/.asoundrc as the manpage describes:
    pcm.copy {
    type plug
    slave {
    pcm hw
    }
    route_policy copy
    }

    But when I run the alias I get garbage characters in Konsole, and no
    foobar.wav file. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: alsa question

    Roland Latour wrote:
    > I am trying to record via microphone. 'aplay' works fine. I ran
    > 'alsamixer' and maxed out volume and unmuted every channel. Then I ran
    > 'man arecord' and followed its instructions. I set up an alias using
    > cut-n-paste from the manpage:
    > alias record='arecord -d 10 -f cd -t wav -D copy foobar.wav'
    > Then I set up ~/.asoundrc as the manpage describes:
    > pcm.copy {
    > type plug
    > slave {
    > pcm hw
    > }
    > route_policy copy
    > }
    >
    > But when I run the alias I get garbage characters in Konsole, and no
    > foobar.wav file. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

    No idea... but when I get garbage in the terminal it's usually because I
    forgot to use a(an?) > or -o or /path/to or some other output indicator
    thingy in my string. Instead of printing to a file, it prints to the
    terminal.

+ Reply to Thread