No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos? - Ubuntu ; The version that is in the repos is 2.4, though the current version is 2.4.2. I have updated the repos, and still I do not see a new version. Am I missing something? Thanks -- ________ David M Lemcoe Jr. ...

  1. No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos?

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  2. Re: No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos?

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:57:10 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    > The version that is in the repos is 2.4, though the current version is
    > 2.4.2. I have updated the repos, and still I do not see a new version.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    Yes, the fact that the maintainers like to thourghly test what they put
    in the repos before they do so. The repo will always have the last
    version that has been properly tested to be compatible with ubuntu. Some
    third-party authors (e.g. wicd)have their own repo for this reason. You
    can expect the cannonical ones to lag while testing is done. You have a
    choice: get the latest .deb (or rpm + alien, or source code + make-
    essentials) and have the latest software at the risk of an unstable
    system OR wait until someone else has the time to test it on your behalf.

  3. Re: No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos?

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:57:10 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> The version that is in the repos is 2.4, though the current version is
    >> 2.4.2. I have updated the repos, and still I do not see a new version.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?
    >>

    > Yes, the fact that the maintainers like to thourghly test what they put
    > in the repos before they do so. The repo will always have the last
    > version that has been properly tested to be compatible with ubuntu. Some
    > third-party authors (e.g. wicd)have their own repo for this reason. You
    > can expect the cannonical ones to lag while testing is done. You have a
    > choice: get the latest .deb (or rpm + alien, or source code + make-
    > essentials) and have the latest software at the risk of an unstable
    > system OR wait until someone else has the time to test it on your behalf.

    Thanks for the response. There is no .deb, which is why I am curious
    about the repos. Thanks

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  4. Re: No Nexuiz 2.4.2 in the Repos?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:37:14 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:57:10 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >>> The version that is in the repos is 2.4, though the current version is
    >>> 2.4.2. I have updated the repos, and still I do not see a new version.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something?
    >>>

    >> Yes, the fact that the maintainers like to thourghly test what they put
    >> in the repos before they do so. The repo will always have the last
    >> version that has been properly tested to be compatible with ubuntu.
    >> Some third-party authors (e.g. wicd)have their own repo for this
    >> reason. You can expect the cannonical ones to lag while testing is
    >> done. You have a choice: get the latest .deb (or rpm + alien, or source
    >> code + make- essentials) and have the latest software at the risk of an
    >> unstable system OR wait until someone else has the time to test it on
    >> your behalf.

    > Thanks for the response. There is no .deb, which is why I am curious
    > about the repos. Thanks

    if there's an .rpm then in a terminal:

    sudo apt-get install alien
    sudo alien foobar.rpm