Why is there a dd process running as a daemon? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Why is there a dd process running as a daemon? - Ubuntu ; I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I display the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this still running. Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is ...

  1. Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I display
    the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    still running.

    Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running? It seems to be
    starting with a boot.

    Thanks - Bob

  2. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Bob M wrote:

    > I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I display
    > the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    > still running.

    This one?
    /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg

    > Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running?

    It copies kernel messages from to /var/run/klogd/kmsg to avoid
    needing to run klogd as root (which is necessary to read /proc/kmsg)

    Florian

  3. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Bob M schreef:
    > I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I display
    > the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    > still running.
    >
    > Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running? It seems to be
    > starting with a boot.
    >
    > Thanks - Bob

    Same here on my Kubuntu system.
    It's running as root so must be something the system uses.
    No clue what for.

  4. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Same here on my Kubuntu system.
    > It's running as root so must be something the system uses.
    > No clue what for.

    the running process is:
    /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg

    It's for kernel messages [watch the wrap]:

    5.2.15. /proc/kmsg
    This file is used to hold messages generated by the kernel. These
    messages are then picked up by other programs, such as /sbin/klogd or
    /bin/dmesg.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Bob M wrote:
    >
    >> I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I
    >> display
    >> the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    >> still running.

    > This one?
    > /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg
    >
    >> Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running?

    > It copies kernel messages from to /var/run/klogd/kmsg to avoid
    > needing to run klogd as root (which is necessary to read /proc/kmsg)
    >

    > Florian

    Thank you. Makes perfect sense. Can't wait until my Ubuntu book arrives so
    I can research some of this.

  6. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Bob M wrote:
    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >

    >> Bob M wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I
    >>> display
    >>> the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    >>> still running.
    >>>

    >> This one?
    >> /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg
    >>

    >>> Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running?
    >>>

    >> It copies kernel messages from to /var/run/klogd/kmsg to avoid
    >> needing to run klogd as root (which is necessary to read /proc/kmsg)
    >>

    >> Florian
    >>

    > Thank you. Makes perfect sense. Can't wait until my Ubuntu book arrives so
    > I can research some of this.

    Don't wait! Use what you already have (it's free).

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ ps ax | grep "dd "

    3925 ? Ss 0:00 /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg

    man dd

    You will learn what dd, bs, if, and of all mean.

    kmsg? Kernel Message.
    http://www.google.com/search?&as_q=K..._eq=tv&num=100

    Why buy books, written by who-knows-who? Your included documentation,
    and online resources, are current, searchable, copyable, ....

    Let the trees filter our air, and leave the paper products for the
    outhouse. ;-)

    --
    John

  7. Re: Why is there a dd process running as a daemon?

    Florian Diesch schreef:
    > Bob M wrote:
    >
    >> I am running 8.04.1 trying to trim down the system overhead. When I display
    >> the process table I see there is a dd task running. A reboot sees this
    >> still running.

    > This one?
    > /bin/dd bs 1 if /proc/kmsg of /var/run/klogd/kmsg
    >
    >> Can anyone please explain what purpose this dd is running?

    > It copies kernel messages from to /var/run/klogd/kmsg to avoid
    > needing to run klogd as root (which is necessary to read /proc/kmsg)
    >

    > Florian

    This IS a good place to learn!
    Thanks, also for johnny bobby bee's answer.

+ Reply to Thread