frostwire setup - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on frostwire setup - Ubuntu ; I am trying to set up frostwire. The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall. I have googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does ANYONE know what ports to enable?...

  1. frostwire setup

    I am trying to set up frostwire.
    The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall.
    I have googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does
    ANYONE know what ports to enable?

  2. Re: frostwire setup

    nog wrote:
    > I am trying to set up frostwire.
    > The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall.
    > I have googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does
    > ANYONE know what ports to enable?

    Well, you might try looking for a packet sniffer and actually seeing
    what goes in and out of the computer. Though, I believe FrostWire has an
    option in preferences saying what port(s) it uses.

    Good luck. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer.

    P.S. Firewall on Ubuntu?

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

  3. Re: frostwire setup

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:11:17 +0000, nog wrote:

    > I am trying to set up frostwire.
    > The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall. I have
    > googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does ANYONE
    > know what ports to enable?

    FWIW, I used the linux version of frostwire quite a bit up until about 4
    months ago but never could get my mouse or chat rooms to work properly
    with it even after installing latest, at that time, Sun Java etc etc. I
    have been using the Windows version for the last few days now and after
    seeing your message decided to try the linux version again under my new
    Kubuntu (in a Windows Virtualbox) install. I don't know if this linux
    version I just downloaded is the same release as the one I previously
    installed.

    Installed frostwire and called it from a terminal session; interface came
    up and it proceeded to log on fine. Did a quick search for one of my
    favourite music artists which returned a normal listing of selections.
    Closed it down and went for supper. Came back, fired it up and couldn't
    make a connection. Tried fiddling with "Options --> Advanced -->
    Firewall" but it still couldn't make any connection. (BTW, this setting
    already has the ports included.) Tried taking it down, bringing it back
    up, fiddle, fiddle a couple of times but nada...

    No firewall here.
    No problems with other app's connecting to the net.

    The following excerpt from the terminal session while frostwire was
    running didn't exactly inspire me with confidence to continue at this
    time:

    Starting FrostWire...
    Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
    Suitable java version found [java = 1.6.0_07]

    Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress
    This is what the networkManager grabbed ->
    [B@9fa12f

    Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress

    Something went wrong with FrostWire.
    Maybe you're using the wrong version of Java?
    (FrostWire is tested against and works best with with Sun's JRE, Java 1.4
    +)
    The version of Java in your PATH is:
    java version "1.6.0_07"
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

    Apparently there is a newer java at Sun; mine was taken from the Ubuntu
    repository.....so you might want to try install the newer if you haven't
    already. If I get the time and inclination, I might try that myself
    later along with a re-install of frostwire......but after my previous
    experience with it and now this, I'm suspecting that a lot of work still
    needs to be done on the linux release of this software before it becomes
    anyway reliable to use. FWIW, YMMV and just my 0.2 cents worth. :-)

  4. Re: frostwire setup

    propman propmeup wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:11:17 +0000, nog wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to set up frostwire.
    >> The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall. I have
    >> googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does ANYONE
    >> know what ports to enable?

    > FWIW, I used the linux version of frostwire quite a bit up until about 4
    > months ago but never could get my mouse or chat rooms to work properly
    > with it even after installing latest, at that time, Sun Java etc etc. I
    > have been using the Windows version for the last few days now and after
    > seeing your message decided to try the linux version again under my new
    > Kubuntu (in a Windows Virtualbox) install. I don't know if this linux
    > version I just downloaded is the same release as the one I previously
    > installed.
    >
    > Installed frostwire and called it from a terminal session; interface came
    > up and it proceeded to log on fine. Did a quick search for one of my
    > favourite music artists which returned a normal listing of selections.
    > Closed it down and went for supper. Came back, fired it up and couldn't
    > make a connection. Tried fiddling with "Options --> Advanced -->
    > Firewall" but it still couldn't make any connection. (BTW, this setting
    > already has the ports included.) Tried taking it down, bringing it back
    > up, fiddle, fiddle a couple of times but nada...
    >
    > No firewall here.
    > No problems with other app's connecting to the net.
    >
    > The following excerpt from the terminal session while frostwire was
    > running didn't exactly inspire me with confidence to continue at this
    > time:
    >

    > Starting FrostWire...
    > Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
    > Suitable java version found [java = 1.6.0_07]
    >

    > Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress
    > This is what the networkManager grabbed ->
    > [B@9fa12f
    >
    > Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress
    >

    > ************************************************** ****************
    > Something went wrong with FrostWire.
    > Maybe you're using the wrong version of Java?
    > (FrostWire is tested against and works best with with Sun's JRE, Java 1.4
    > +)
    > The version of Java in your PATH is:
    > java version "1.6.0_07"
    > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)
    >

    > Apparently there is a newer java at Sun; mine was taken from the Ubuntu
    > repository.....so you might want to try install the newer if you haven't
    > already. If I get the time and inclination, I might try that myself
    > later along with a re-install of frostwire......but after my previous
    > experience with it and now this, I'm suspecting that a lot of work still
    > needs to be done on the linux release of this software before it becomes
    > anyway reliable to use. FWIW, YMMV and just my 0.2 cents worth. :-)

    It seems that you may have either a modem or a router blocking your
    traffic. My Linksys has been known to do that.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.
    ender@ender.ath.cx
    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 "Hardy Heron"

  5. Re: frostwire setup

    nog wrote:
    > I am trying to set up frostwire.
    > The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall.
    > I have googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does
    > ANYONE know what ports to enable?

    In FrostWire:

    Tools>options>advanced>firewall

    Choose listen on port 13579.

    Under Router config choose "manual port forwarding"

    Press Apply, OK.

    Now log in to your router and forward TCP and UDP packets to port 13579.

    You may need to add exceptions to the Guarddog firewall as well.

  6. Re: frostwire setup

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:20:22 -0400, David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    > propman propmeup wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:11:17 +0000, nog wrote:
    >>
    >> now and after seeing your message decided to try the linux version
    >> again under my new Kubuntu (in a Windows Virtualbox) install. I don't
    >> know if this linux version I just downloaded is the same release as the
    >> one I previously installed.
    >>
    >> Installed frostwire and called it from a terminal session; interface
    >> came up and it proceeded to log on fine. Did a quick search for one of
    >> my favourite music artists which returned a normal listing of
    >> selections. Closed it down and went for supper. Came back, fired it up
    >> and couldn't make a connection. Tried fiddling with "Options -->
    >> Advanced --> Firewall" but it still couldn't make any connection. (BTW,
    >> this setting already has the ports included.) Tried taking it down,
    >> bringing it back up, fiddle, fiddle a couple of times but nada...
    >>
    >> No firewall here.
    >> No problems with other app's connecting to the net.
    >>
    >> The following excerpt from the terminal session while frostwire was
    >> running didn't exactly inspire me with confidence to continue at this
    >> time:
    >>

    >> Starting FrostWire...
    >> Java exec found in PATH. Verifying... Suitable java version found [java
    >> = 1.6.0_07]
    >>

    >> Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress This is what the
    >> networkManager grabbed -> [B@9fa12f
    >>
    >> Waiting one more second to get the ipAddress
    >>

    >> ************************************************** ****************
    >> Something went wrong with FrostWire.
    >> Maybe you're using the wrong version of Java? (FrostWire is tested
    >> against and works best with with Sun's JRE, Java 1.4 +)
    >> The version of Java in your PATH is:
    >> java version "1.6.0_07"
    >> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) Java HotSpot(TM)
    >> Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)
    >>

    > It seems that you may have either a modem or a router blocking your
    > traffic. My Linksys has been known to do that.

    Certainly no expert on this subject, but as I mentioned above, I had no
    problem making a connection the first time I ran frostwire after
    installing it....if a router block was present then wouldn't have it been
    active during this episode?

    Can't fiddle with the router settings as I use a hotspot for my
    connecting but, FWIW, I can run limewire and frostwire on the windows
    side without any problems.

    Thanks! :-)

  7. Re: frostwire setup

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:11:17 +0000, nog wrote:

    > I am trying to set up frostwire.
    > The only way I can get it to work is disabling guarddog firewall. I have
    > googled for frostwire ports, but nothing found works, so does ANYONE
    > know what ports to enable?

    Solved itself!
    I rebooted kubuntu, disabled the firewall completely, and Frostwire
    connects now.

    ta for all replies...

    Nog

+ Reply to Thread