Free Crossover till Wednesday - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Free Crossover till Wednesday - Ubuntu ; Link, you can DL the unlocked build here: http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/ http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw Official press release: http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/ n July, CodeWeavers whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license ...

  1. Free Crossover till Wednesday

    Link,

    you can DL the unlocked build here:

    http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw

    Official press release:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/

    n July, CodeWeavers whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run
    Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license
    launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge
    (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most
    of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or
    political goal by January 20, 2009.

  2. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:03:32 -0400, User wrote:

    > Link,
    >
    > you can DL the unlocked build here:
    >
    > http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/
    >

    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw
    >
    > Official press release:
    > http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/
    >

    > n July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run
    > Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license –
    > launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge
    > (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most
    > of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or
    > political goal by January 20, 2009.

    Many many thanks, User joheny, for these Crossover links. Cheers, -- tlvp

  3. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:03:32 -0400, User wrote:
    >
    >> Link,
    >>
    >> you can DL the unlocked build here:
    >>
    >> http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/
    >>

    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw
    >>
    >> Official press release:
    >> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/
    >>

    >> n July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run
    >> Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license –
    >> launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge
    >> (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most
    >> of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or
    >> political goal by January 20, 2009.
    >>

    > Many many thanks, User joheny, for these Crossover links. Cheers, --
    > tlvp

    Yikes. I downloaded the full product with a free license (good only for
    today), it opened a terminal window, displayed lots of code. What do I
    do next? Any help will be much appreciated!

  4. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:03:32 -0400, User wrote:
    >>

    >>> Link,
    >>>
    >>> you can DL the unlocked build here:
    >>>
    >>> http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/
    >>>

    >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw
    >>>
    >>> Official press release:
    >>> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/
    >>>

    >>> n July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run
    >>> Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license –
    >>> launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge
    >>> (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most
    >>> of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or
    >>> political goal by January 20, 2009.
    >>>

    >> Many many thanks, User joheny, for these Crossover links. Cheers, --
    >> tlvp
    >>

    > Yikes. I downloaded the full product with a free license (good only for
    > today), it opened a terminal window, displayed lots of code. What do I
    > do next? Any help will be much appreciated!

    Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.

    It's a script, so you should execute it.

    Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?

    --
    John

  5. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    >> Yikes. I downloaded the full product with a free license (good only
    >> for today), it opened a terminal window, displayed lots of code. What
    >> do I do next? Any help will be much appreciated!
    >>

    > Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.
    >
    > It's a script, so you should execute it.
    >
    > Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?

    Not that I can see. I'll look again.

  6. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:10:50 -0400, Jeff Needle wrote:

    >>> Yikes. I downloaded the full product with a free license (good only
    >>> for today), it opened a terminal window, displayed lots of code. What
    >>> do I do next? Any help will be much appreciated!
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.
    >>
    >> It's a script, so you should execute it.
    >>
    >> Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?
    >>

    > Not that I can see. I'll look again.

    http://www.codeweavers.com/support/d...standard/intro

  7. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:10:50 -0400, Jeff Needle wrote:

    >>> Yikes. I downloaded the full product with a free license (good only
    >>> for today), it opened a terminal window, displayed lots of code. What
    >>> do I do next? Any help will be much appreciated!
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.
    >>
    >> It's a script, so you should execute it.
    >>
    >> Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?
    >>

    > Not that I can see. I'll look again.

    I missed the following first time around.....pdf is also available:

    http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/

  8. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    propman propmeup wrote:

    >>> Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.
    >>>
    >>> It's a script, so you should execute it.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?
    >>>

    >> Not that I can see. I'll look again.
    >>

    > http://www.codeweavers.com/support/d...standard/intro

    Darn! Even they can't correctly spell "GNOME"!

    I'm having second thoughts about running this proprietary software.
    Since it is not "open source," it means the masses of GNU/Linux
    developers cannot insure the code is not modified to allow something to
    "call home."

    Nowadays it seems everything you touch requires your e-mail address,
    birthdate, Social Security Number, mother's maiden name, etc. Data
    mining has become the real agenda for many companies.

    The introduction speaks a lot about running Microsoft Office programs,
    but we already have OpenOffice amongst others.

    What about some of the good Mac and Windows programs, like FileMaker
    Pro, AutoCAD, etc., that have no real GNU/Linux alternative. Wouldn't it
    behoove CodeWeavers to spin their Crossover to run those programs?

    I suspect the better solution is to use Wine if those Windows
    applications are really necessary.

    If not, just drink the wine while you go fishing.

    --
    John

  9. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    >>> Sounds like you aren't quite ready for such a product -- yet.
    >>>
    >>> It's a script, so you should execute it.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't CodeWeavers have any HOWTO on their site?
    >>>

    >> Not that I can see. I'll look again.

    > http://www.codeweavers.com/support/d...standard/intro

    Thanks to all for finding this link. I'll read it through and see if I
    can work my way through it.

  10. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > The introduction speaks a lot about running Microsoft Office programs,
    > but we already have OpenOffice amongst others.
    >
    > What about some of the good Mac and Windows programs, like FileMaker
    > Pro, AutoCAD, etc., that have no real GNU/Linux alternative. Wouldn't it
    > behoove CodeWeavers to spin their Crossover to run those programs?

    I downloaded it yesterday with the specific intention of enabling Access
    under Linux. Turns out it's not supported :-(.

  11. Re: Free Crossover till Wednesday

    Larry Blanchard wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >>

    >> The introduction speaks a lot about running Microsoft Office
    >> programs, but we already have OpenOffice amongst others.
    >>
    >> What about some of the good Mac and Windows programs, like FileMaker
    >> Pro, AutoCAD, etc., that have no real GNU/Linux alternative. Wouldn't
    >> it behoove CodeWeavers to spin their Crossover to run those programs?
    >>

    > I downloaded it yesterday with the specific intention of enabling
    > Access under Linux. Turns out it's not supported :-(.

    Sorry about that -- I know the feeling.

    I "fight" Linux database programs, like Open Office Database, mysql,
    etc., but have never found anything close to being as easy to configure
    and modify as the FileMaker Pro programs on the Mac and Windows.

    I've never cared for Access either, but perhaps one of those available
    for Linux might do what you need?

    --
    John