Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron - Ubuntu ; I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use ...

  1. Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    monitors with Linux. My system is:
    4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    8 gig of ddr2
    XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors

    I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.

    I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.

    It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    find it.

    Thanks for any help
    Gary

  2. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    In article ,
    Gary Pewitt wrote:
    > I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    > like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    > Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    > monitors with Linux. My system is:
    > 4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    > 8 gig of ddr2
    > XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    > Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    > 2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >
    > I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >
    > I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    > internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    > external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    > like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >
    > It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    > find it.

    I added a second monitor. Both are 1600x1200. L=DVI, R=VGA. Mostly,
    things work correctly, although some programs "center" things right on
    the divide. I didn't want to use a proprientary system like Nvidia's,
    since I might one day change video card brands and didn't want to have
    to rejigger my xorg.conf at that time. xorg.conf at
    http://royalty.mine.nu:81/xorg.conf.gz .

    --
    "The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
    twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals

  3. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:41:07 -0500, Gary Pewitt wrote:

    > I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really like
    > the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP Pro 64
    > bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two monitors
    > with Linux. My system is:
    > 4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    > 8 gig of ddr2
    > XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3 Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    > 2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >
    > I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >
    > I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    > internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    > external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would like
    > to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >
    > It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    > find it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Gary

    Applications --> System Tools --> (root)Terminal

    type "displayconfig-gtk" (without quotes)

    If displayconfig-gtk is not installed then use the Synaptic Package
    manager to download and install it (System --> Administration)

  4. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    Gary Pewitt wrote:

    > I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    > like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    > Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    > monitors with Linux. My system is:
    > 4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    > 8 gig of ddr2
    > XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    > Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    > 2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >
    > I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >
    > I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    > internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    > external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    > like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >
    > It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    > find it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Gary

    Just run: sudo nvidia-settings

    Then you can configure dual monitors using TwinView.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  5. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > Gary Pewitt wrote:
    >
    >> I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    >> like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    >> Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    >> monitors with Linux. My system is:
    >> 4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    >> 8 gig of ddr2
    >> XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    >> Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    >> 2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >>
    >> I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >>
    >> I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    >> internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    >> external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    >> like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >>
    >> It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    >> find it.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >> Gary

    > Just run: sudo nvidia-settings
    >
    > Then you can configure dual monitors using TwinView.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    > The world can't afford the rich.

    NoStop,

    Does this mean that if I use the nvidia-settings program that I don't have
    to mess with xorg at all?

    Thanks...

    Dick

  6. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    Dick wrote:

    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    >> Gary Pewitt wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    >>> like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    >>> Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    >>> monitors with Linux. My system is:
    >>> 4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    >>> 8 gig of ddr2
    >>> XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    >>> Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    >>> 2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >>>
    >>> I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >>>
    >>> I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    >>> internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    >>> external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    >>> like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >>>
    >>> It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    >>> find it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>> Gary

    >> Just run: sudo nvidia-settings
    >>
    >> Then you can configure dual monitors using TwinView.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> The world can't afford the rich.
    >>

    > NoStop,
    >
    > Does this mean that if I use the nvidia-settings program that I don't
    > have to mess with xorg at all?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Dick

    Not NoStop but...
    You don't have to mess with xorg because nvidia-settings does that for
    you. You pick the settings you want and nvidia-settings converts them to
    xorg speak and writes the file. That's why nvidia-settings has to be run
    as root (sudo.)

  7. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    "clay" wrote in message
    > Dick wrote:
    >>
    >> "NoStop" wrote in message

    >>> Just run: sudo nvidia-settings
    >>>
    >>> Then you can configure dual monitors using TwinView.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> The world can't afford the rich.
    >>>

    >> NoStop,
    >>
    >> Does this mean that if I use the nvidia-settings program that I don't
    >> have to mess with xorg at all?
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> Dick
    >>

    > Not NoStop but...
    > You don't have to mess with xorg because nvidia-settings does that for
    > you. You pick the settings you want and nvidia-settings converts them to
    > xorg speak and writes the file. That's why nvidia-settings has to be run
    > as root (sudo.)

    Thanks, Clay.

    Dick

  8. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    Dick wrote:

    > "clay" wrote in message
    >> Dick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "NoStop" wrote in message

    >>> NoStop,
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean that if I use the nvidia-settings program that I don't
    >>> have to mess with xorg at all?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks...
    >>>
    >>> Dick
    >>>

    >> Not NoStop but...
    >> You don't have to mess with xorg because nvidia-settings does that for
    >> you. You pick the settings you want and nvidia-settings converts them
    >> to xorg speak and writes the file. That's why nvidia-settings has to
    >> be run as root (sudo.)

    > Thanks, Clay.
    >
    > Dick

    ....also know that with Hardy comes a 'more user friendly' xserver that
    repairs itself if you bjork the settings.
    Good for beginners... or not. If you don't pick some settings xorg is
    really happy with, Hardy will belch and write it's own. Frustrating when
    settings don't "stick."
    At least, that's what it did when I was manually editing xorg.conf,
    trying to get an old S3 Trio to run my LCD at 1680x1050. Had a bunch of
    copies and Hardy generated backups of xorg.conf before I found a xorg it
    liked.
    (wondering if there's a way to turn that 'feature' off???)

  9. Re: Getting dual monitors to work with Hardy Heron

    Thanks a bunch for the very helpful suggestions. I got it working and
    it looks great.
    73 Gary N9ZSV

    wrote:

    >I recently installed a second monitor on my computer and I really
    >like the convieniance. It was no problam getting it to work with XP
    >Pro 64 bit windoze but so far at least I haven't been able to use two
    >monitors with Linux. My system is:
    >4 core Intel cpu Q6600
    >8 gig of ddr2
    >XFX Geforce 8600GTS with 256 m of GDDR3
    >Intel D975XBX@ mobo
    >2 Viewsonic VX2240W monitors
    >
    >I did download the latest video driver from GeForce.
    >
    >I am using the grub loader to dual boot and the XP is on the 500G
    >internal drive while the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Linux is on the 320G
    >external. No problem booting or running either OS but I sure would
    >like to be able to use both monitors on Linux.
    >
    >It's probably something easy but I'm just to dumb and inexperianced to
    >find it.
    >
    >Thanks for any help
    >Gary

+ Reply to Thread