OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow - Ubuntu ; I know nothing about this particular software but thought it might be of interest to any Windows/Wine/linux users here.... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw Official press release: http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/ n July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run Windows programs ...

  1. OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    I know nothing about this particular software but thought it might be of
    interest to any Windows/Wine/linux users here....

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjgxNw

    Official press release:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/about/gen...ress/20081027/

    n July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run
    Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license –
    launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge
    (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most
    of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or
    political goal by January 20, 2009.

  2. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    propman propmeup wrote:
    > I know nothing about this particular software but thought it might be of
    > interest to any Windows/Wine/linux users here....

    All I know is that even if I paste it in to both fields,
    the response is "email addresses do not match!"

    Tried to different browsers, tried clearing cookies and
    then going to the site. No go.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    "But, Professor! I didn't plagiarize! I paid someone to
    write the essay for me, and that person plagiarized!"
    -- from http://rateyourstudents.blogspot.com

  3. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:20:08 -0400, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > propman propmeup wrote:
    >> I know nothing about this particular software but thought it might be
    >> of interest to any Windows/Wine/linux users here....

    > All I know is that even if I paste it in to both fields, the response is
    > "email addresses do not match!"
    >
    > Tried to different browsers, tried clearing cookies and then going to
    > the site. No go.

    Servers seems to be getting hit hard but I managed to log on and
    register; received the following:

    CrossOver Serial Number Sign Up

    Thank You!

    A serial number has been generated and has been e-mailed to you.

    Copy this serial number and enter it on the Registration Page over at the
    main CodeWeavers website.

    More information about this process will be in the email.

    I logged onto hotmail right away but as of yet no email from Codeweavers
    is in my inbox....guess will have to wait and see. Good luck if you try
    again! :-)

  4. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    propman propmeup schreef:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:20:08 -0400, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> propman propmeup wrote:
    >>> I know nothing about this particular software but thought it might be
    >>> of interest to any Windows/Wine/linux users here....

    >> All I know is that even if I paste it in to both fields, the response is
    >> "email addresses do not match!"
    >>
    >> Tried to different browsers, tried clearing cookies and then going to
    >> the site. No go.

    > Servers seems to be getting hit hard but I managed to log on and
    > register; received the following:
    >

    > CrossOver Serial Number Sign Up
    >
    > Thank You!
    >
    > A serial number has been generated and has been e-mailed to you.
    >
    > Copy this serial number and enter it on the Registration Page over at the
    > main CodeWeavers website.
    >
    > More information about this process will be in the email.
    >

    > I logged onto hotmail right away but as of yet no email from Codeweavers
    > is in my inbox....guess will have to wait and see. Good luck if you try
    > again! :-)

    I had no problem getting the serial number.
    After entering my e-mail address the return mail
    arrived within a minute.
    It's just that the codeweaver's website is still offline.
    And you need to register and download the copy before
    midnight wednesday. Let's see if this works.

  5. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    Would Cedega do the same? Cedega runs DirectX games...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7

  6. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:45:07 +0100, HerbY wrote:

    >> I logged onto hotmail right away but as of yet no email from
    >> Codeweavers is in my inbox....guess will have to wait and see. Good
    >> luck if you try again!
    >>

    > I had no problem getting the serial number. After entering my e-mail
    > address the return mail arrived within a minute.
    > It's just that the codeweaver's website is still offline. And you need
    > to register and download the copy before midnight wednesday. Let's see
    > if this works.

    Yeah, I wonder if they throttled down their server to limit how many
    copies thay give away. Or is it being hammered by millions of mac and
    linux users?

  7. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    HerbY a écrit :

    > I had no problem getting the serial number.
    > After entering my e-mail address the return mail
    > arrived within a minute.
    > It's just that the codeweaver's website is still offline.
    > And you need to register and download the copy before
    > midnight wednesday. Let's see if this works.

    If you just go to http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/
    You will see you can download unlocked build.

    An for those who get a serial, you will be able to register until 10/31
    (registering prolongated 48h)

  8. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:45:07 +0100, HerbY wrote:

    > propman propmeup schreef:

    >> I logged onto hotmail right away but as of yet no email from
    >> Codeweavers is in my inbox....guess will have to wait and see. Good
    >> luck if you try again! :-)
    >>

    > I had no problem getting the serial number. After entering my e-mail
    > address the return mail arrived within a minute.
    > It's just that the codeweaver's website is still offline. And you need
    > to register and download the copy before midnight wednesday. Let's see
    > if this works.

    Finally went back and re-registered....this time I received the email.
    Off to do the download now. :-)

  9. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:04:11 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:45:07 +0100, HerbY wrote:
    >
    >>> I logged onto hotmail right away but as of yet no email from
    >>> Codeweavers is in my inbox....guess will have to wait and see. Good
    >>> luck if you try again!
    >>>

    >> I had no problem getting the serial number. After entering my e-mail
    >> address the return mail arrived within a minute. It's just that the
    >> codeweaver's website is still offline. And you need to register and
    >> download the copy before midnight wednesday. Let's see if this works.

    > Yeah, I wonder if they throttled down their server to limit how many
    > copies thay give away. Or is it being hammered by millions of mac and
    > linux users?

    The second reason.....

    Main Website Temporarily Offline

    Due to the high volume of traffic for the Lame Duck Challenge Free Offer,
    we have temporarily streamlined the CodeWeavers main website.

    We apologize for any inconvenience. We still love Digg, even if our
    server disagrees. ;-)

    Use this form to register for a serial number. Due to load, expect your
    serial number to be emailed to you in a few days.

  10. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) schreef:
    > Would Cedega do the same? Cedega runs DirectX games...

    Sounds like a security hole...

  11. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:09:22 +0000, propman propmeup wrote:

    >>> I had no problem getting the serial number. After entering my e-mail
    >>> address the return mail arrived within a minute. It's just that the
    >>> codeweaver's website is still offline. And you need to register and
    >>> download the copy before midnight wednesday. Let's see if this works.

    >> Yeah, I wonder if they throttled down their server to limit how many
    >> copies thay give away. Or is it being hammered by millions of mac and
    >> linux users?

    > The second reason.....
    >

    > Main Website Temporarily Offline
    >
    > Due to the high volume of traffic for the Lame Duck Challenge Free
    > Offer, we have temporarily streamlined the CodeWeavers main website.
    >
    > We apologize for any inconvenience. We still love Digg, even if our
    > server disagrees. ;-)
    >
    > Use this form to register for a serial number. Due to load, expect your
    > serial number to be emailed to you in a few days.

    So are the unlocked versions on the lameduck site they have today, the
    same as the one I will get in a few days with my reg-number when their
    site is back up.

    stonerfish

  12. Re: OT: CodeWeavers Giving Away CrossOver Tomorrow

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) schreef:
    >> Would Cedega do the same? Cedega runs DirectX games...
    >>

    > Sounds like a security hole...

    Submit your suggestion to Cedega then. I believe they could jail
    everything with a chroot....

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7
    ^ ^ 15:23:01 up 17:40 0 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
    *ɶU! BF! ! ! T! ۱! ЦҼ{ (CSSA):