lovin it more and more - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on lovin it more and more - Ubuntu ; Was using................ well I guess I'm old enough I don't remember. It was one of those ancient Ubuntu distros. Well I finally did it. Just like I did in windows. I screwed it up so bad I had to reload. ...

  1. lovin it more and more

    Was using................ well I guess I'm old enough I don't remember.
    It was one of those ancient Ubuntu distros.
    Well I finally did it. Just like I did in windows.
    I screwed it up so bad I had to reload.
    Well since I was running Hardy and Intrepid was so close I decided to
    just reformat and load intrepid.
    Shocker!!!!!!!!!!
    I reformatted the / partition and just let it do what it does.
    Rebooted
    and...................
    all of. settings and programs were still there.
    Shocker??????????????
    No reestablishing Links.
    No reinstalling programs.
    It Just worked.
    Cream my pants!
    Hardy-Intrepid.
    Thanks.
    caver1

  2. Re: lovin it more and more

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:23:15 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > Was using................ well I guess I'm old enough I don't remember.
    > It was one of those ancient Ubuntu distros.
    > Well I finally did it. Just like I did in windows. I screwed it up so
    > bad I had to reload. Well since I was running Hardy and Intrepid was so
    > close I decided to just reformat and load intrepid.
    > Shocker!!!!!!!!!!
    > I reformatted the / partition and just let it do what it does.
    > Rebooted
    > and...................
    > all of. settings and programs were still there. Shocker??????????????
    > No reestablishing Links.
    > No reinstalling programs.
    > It Just worked.
    > Cream my pants!
    > Hardy-Intrepid.
    > Thanks.
    > caver1

    When you say reformatted the / partition do you mean you allocated the
    partition, with fdisk or cfdisk, or do you mean you ran mke2fs? If you
    just screwed up your partition table, then you date is still there, so
    fixing the partition table will let you find your data. If you
    reformatted your partition with mke2fs and your system is still there,
    they you b.s.ing us.

  3. Re: lovin it more and more

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:23:15 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    bad I had to reload. Well since I was running Hardy and Intrepid was so
    > close I decided to just reformat and load intrepid.
    > Shocker!!!!!!!!!!
    > I reformatted the / partition and just let it do what it does.
    > Rebooted
    > and...................
    > all of. settings and programs were still there. Shocker??????????????
    > No reestablishing Links.
    > No reinstalling programs.
    > It Just worked.

    Very cool! Just waiting for the end of the month here....did a couple of
    VM's installs with the beta's but thought I'd hold off till the official
    release before doing anything serious. :-)

  4. Re: lovin it more and more

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:23:15 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Was using................ well I guess I'm old enough I don't remember.
    >> It was one of those ancient Ubuntu distros.
    >> Well I finally did it. Just like I did in windows. I screwed it up so
    >> bad I had to reload. Well since I was running Hardy and Intrepid was so
    >> close I decided to just reformat and load intrepid.
    >> Shocker!!!!!!!!!!
    >> I reformatted the / partition and just let it do what it does.
    >> Rebooted
    >> and...................
    >> all of. settings and programs were still there. Shocker??????????????
    >> No reestablishing Links.
    >> No reinstalling programs.
    >> It Just worked.
    >> Cream my pants!
    >> Hardy-Intrepid.
    >> Thanks.
    >> caver1

    > When you say reformatted the / partition do you mean you allocated the
    > partition, with fdisk or cfdisk, or do you mean you ran mke2fs? If you
    > just screwed up your partition table, then you date is still there, so
    > fixing the partition table will let you find your data. If you
    > reformatted your partition with mke2fs and your system is still there,
    > they you b.s.ing us.

    No b.s.
    I have /,swap,and/home partitions. I screwed things up to where it
    wouldn't boot. I tend to do things like that occasionally playing around.
    Was running Hardy. So instead of staying with Hardy I decided to up to
    Intrepid. Put the cd in told it to install. Had it format the / partition.
    when it was done everything was there and worked.
    In Windows you would either have to re-associate everything or reload
    all programs. Either of which is time consuming.
    The only program I had to reload was OO3 as it don't come with Hardy or
    Intrepid.
    Yes I know I could have done it other ways such as a backup, or as you
    stated fix the partition table. I would have done that on my other
    machines but being this one is my toy I am always trying different stuff
    or just say Hell why not just start over.

  5. Re: lovin it more and more

    caver1 schreef:
    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:23:15 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Was using................ well I guess I'm old enough I don't remember.
    >>> It was one of those ancient Ubuntu distros.
    >>> Well I finally did it. Just like I did in windows. I screwed it up so
    >>> bad I had to reload. Well since I was running Hardy and Intrepid was so
    >>> close I decided to just reformat and load intrepid.
    >>> Shocker!!!!!!!!!!
    >>> I reformatted the / partition and just let it do what it does.
    >>> Rebooted
    >>> and...................
    >>> all of. settings and programs were still there. Shocker??????????????
    >>> No reestablishing Links.
    >>> No reinstalling programs.
    >>> It Just worked.
    >>> Cream my pants!
    >>> Hardy-Intrepid.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> caver1

    >> When you say reformatted the / partition do you mean you allocated the
    >> partition, with fdisk or cfdisk, or do you mean you ran mke2fs? If
    >> you just screwed up your partition table, then you date is still
    >> there, so fixing the partition table will let you find your data. If
    >> you reformatted your partition with mke2fs and your system is still
    >> there, they you b.s.ing us.
    >>

    > No b.s.
    > I have /,swap,and/home partitions.

    Right.
    So your / was (re)-formatted but your /home apparently stayed intact.
    That's the one big advantage of having a separate /home partition.

    > I screwed things up to where it
    > wouldn't boot. I tend to do things like that occasionally playing around.
    > Was running Hardy. So instead of staying with Hardy I decided to up to
    > Intrepid. Put the cd in told it to install. Had it format the / partition.
    > when it was done everything was there and worked.
    > In Windows you would either have to re-associate everything or reload
    > all programs. Either of which is time consuming.
    > The only program I had to reload was OO3 as it don't come with Hardy or
    > Intrepid.
    > Yes I know I could have done it other ways such as a backup, or as you
    > stated fix the partition table. I would have done that on my other
    > machines but being this one is my toy I am always trying different stuff
    > or just say Hell why not just start over.

  6. Re: lovin it more and more

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > caver1 schreef:
    >> jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> When you say reformatted the / partition do you mean you allocated
    >>> the partition, with fdisk or cfdisk, or do you mean you ran mke2fs?
    >>> If you just screwed up your partition table, then you date is still
    >>> there, so fixing the partition table will let you find your data. If
    >>> you reformatted your partition with mke2fs and your system is still
    >>> there, they you b.s.ing us.
    >>>

    >> No b.s.
    >> I have /,swap,and/home partitions.

    > Right.
    > So your / was (re)-formatted but your /home apparently stayed intact.
    > That's the one big advantage of having a separate /home partition.

    I agree. The point is if you had a separate Partition for the operating
    system and one for everything else in Windows it would not be able to
    use your stuff on the other partition until you either re-associated all
    your links or reloaded the programs and told it where to look.
    I did this with Ubuntu and the all loaded programs were able to run with
    my settings and data without me doing anything except start the program.

  7. Re: lovin it more and more

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Right.
    > So your / was (re)-formatted but your /home apparently stayed intact.
    > That's the one big advantage of having a separate /home partition.

    How does one separate Home from the rest if the install is already done
    and no separate partition /home was created during the initial install?

    Thanks,

    Peter

  8. Re: lovin it more and more

    Peter wrote:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Right.
    >> So your / was (re)-formatted but your /home apparently stayed intact.
    >> That's the one big advantage of having a separate /home partition.

    > How does one separate Home from the rest if the install is already done
    > and no separate partition /home was created during the initial install?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    As I said you can wipe the / out of Ubuntu. Lets say Hardy. Pop the
    Intrepid cd in tell it to use and format the / partition. When it is
    done you have a running system.
    You can't do that in windows. When Windows done installing itself you
    still have to re-associate everything or it can't find your data.
    caver1

  9. Re: lovin it more and more

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:49:37 +0100, Peter wrote:

    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Right.
    >> So your / was (re)-formatted but your /home apparently stayed intact.
    >> That's the one big advantage of having a separate /home partition.

    > How does one separate Home from the rest if the install is already done
    > and no separate partition /home was created during the initial install?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    You buy a 500g seagate for 70 dollars. Mount it in your box, and run
    "cfdisk" from a terminal. After you allocate a new partition with "N"
    you quit with a "W" Then run "mke2fs" to create a filesystem on the
    partition.
    Then mount the new disk with "mount /dev/diskname /mnt/mountpoint".
    After the new disk is mounted, you do "cp -a /home/* /mnt/mountpoint"
    After the copy command is finished, unmount the disk with
    "umount /mnt/mountpoint".

    Now you have a copy of all your home folders on the new disk.
    Next step is edit your /etc/fstab file. It is a simple format, you can
    figure out by reading it, or the fstab manpage. I prefer using
    /dev/device format for the drives, but ubuntu likes UUID's. You can get
    your UUID with "vol_id"
    After you set up your fstab, (be sure to use the auto option) you can
    manually mount it with "mount -v /home" To confirm that /home mounted
    properly type "mount" and read the output. After a few boots, and you
    are sure that your home folders are copied with no data lost, you can
    unmount the /home disk, and then "rm -rf /home/*" which will delete the
    stuff stored in /home on your original disk.

    Pretty simple. I rushed through this tutorial. Feel free to ask here
    for help if any of the steps above are un-understandable.

    stonerfish

  10. Re: lovin it more and more

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:02:35 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > I agree. The point is if you had a separate Partition for the operating
    > system and one for everything else in Windows it would not be able to
    > use your stuff on the other partition until you either re-associated all
    > your links or reloaded the programs and told it where to look. I did
    > this with Ubuntu and the all loaded programs were able to run with my
    > settings and data without me doing anything except start the program.

    The other day, I put in a disk on my friends windows box. I thought,
    easy. Then we moved his music folder to the new disk. Great, easy. The
    headache happened when he opened up "itunes". The program had to re-
    process all his album art, song lists, etc. After an hour of waiting for
    it to finish, he decided to plug in his ipod, and it had to be re-synced
    taken another couple of hours. I think they are trying to prevent
    copying. What a lame ass system. Funny thing is, I once had his ipod
    plugged into my box, and with a simple "dd" command I copied his music
    library. I can loop mount the image and copy or play any of his 8000
    songs easier with libipod, than he can with his itunes software. But
    itunes is pretty.

    stonerfish

  11. Re: lovin it more and more

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:02:35 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >

    >> I agree. The point is if you had a separate Partition for the operating
    >> system and one for everything else in Windows it would not be able to
    >> use your stuff on the other partition until you either re-associated all
    >> your links or reloaded the programs and told it where to look. I did
    >> this with Ubuntu and the all loaded programs were able to run with my
    >> settings and data without me doing anything except start the program.
    >>

    > The other day, I put in a disk on my friends windows box. I thought,
    > easy. Then we moved his music folder to the new disk. Great, easy. The
    > headache happened when he opened up "itunes". The program had to re-
    > process all his album art, song lists, etc. After an hour of waiting for
    > it to finish, he decided to plug in his ipod, and it had to be re-synced
    > taken another couple of hours. I think they are trying to prevent
    > copying. What a lame ass system. Funny thing is, I once had his ipod
    > plugged into my box, and with a simple "dd" command I copied his music
    > library. I can loop mount the image and copy or play any of his 8000
    > songs easier with libipod, than he can with his itunes software. But
    > itunes is pretty.
    >
    > stonerfish

    If Windows is crap, then what is Windows+Apple? ;-)

    --
    John

  12. Re: lovin it more and more

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > If Windows is crap, then what is Windows+Apple? ;-)

    Crabapple?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  13. Re: lovin it more and more

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:02:35 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >>

    >>> I agree. The point is if you had a separate Partition for the operating
    >>> system and one for everything else in Windows it would not be able to
    >>> use your stuff on the other partition until you either re-associated all
    >>> your links or reloaded the programs and told it where to look. I did
    >>> this with Ubuntu and the all loaded programs were able to run with my
    >>> settings and data without me doing anything except start the program.
    >>>

    >> The other day, I put in a disk on my friends windows box. I thought,
    >> easy. Then we moved his music folder to the new disk. Great, easy.
    >> The headache happened when he opened up "itunes". The program had to re-
    >> process all his album art, song lists, etc. After an hour of waiting
    >> for it to finish, he decided to plug in his ipod, and it had to be
    >> re-synced taken another couple of hours. I think they are trying to
    >> prevent copying. What a lame ass system. Funny thing is, I once had
    >> his ipod plugged into my box, and with a simple "dd" command I copied
    >> his music library. I can loop mount the image and copy or play any of
    >> his 8000 songs easier with libipod, than he can with his itunes
    >> software. But itunes is pretty.
    >>
    >> stonerfish
    >>

    > If Windows is crap, then what is Windows+Apple? ;-)

    It's a piece of fruit that freely lets worms in.
    caver1

+ Reply to Thread