Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10 - Ubuntu ; Will 8.10 be ported to the update manager so a live update can be done?...

  1. Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10

    Will 8.10 be ported to the update manager so a live update can be done?

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:21:34 +0000, Klutzierthanmost wrote:

    > Will 8.10 be ported to the update manager so a live update can be done?

    FWIW, according to the Planet Ubuntu RSS feed I receive, they are now
    looking for pre-release installers/testers, as per the following:

    http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3725

    Help us test the Kubuntu 8.10 Candidate CDs
    jriddell's picture
    Submitted by jriddell on Mon, 10/27/2008 - 16:55

    Kubuntu 8.10 is due out this week. If you want to help make that happen
    we need people to test the CDs, DVDs and upgrades.

    The page references the following URL:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...grades/Kubuntu

    Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 Upgrade

    Kubuntu 8.10 is a major upgrade using the KDE 4 desktop. You will not be
    able to reliably downgrade to KDE 3 again since it will upgrade your
    application settings.

    Upgrade to 8.10 over the Internet:

    1) Open the Run Command dialog by pressing Alt+F2. Type kdesudo
    "adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel" in the command box and press the OK
    button.

    ........................etc etc

    Sure looks like it if this is any indication. :-)

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10

    propman propmeup wrote:

    > 1) Open the Run Command dialog by pressing Alt+F2. Type kdesudo
    > "adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel" in the command box and press the OK
    > button.

    I suppose

    apt-get upgrade

    will do the job.

    700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk/
    Shortwave transmissions in English, Francais, Nederlands, Deutsch,
    Suid-Afrikaans, Chinese, Dansk, Urdu, Cantonese, Greek, Spanish,
    Portuguese, ...
    http://RADIOLANGUAGES.TK Updated every month or so ....

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10

    Klutzierthanmost illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Will 8.10 be ported to the update manager so a live update can be done?

    Possibly.

    Although, you should be able to force a distribution upgrade by typing
    $ kdesu update-manager -d
    in a terminal

    (Gnome users
    $ gksudo update manager -d
    Again in a terminal)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.04 update to 8.10

    user schreef:
    > propman propmeup wrote:
    >
    >> 1) Open the Run Command dialog by pressing Alt+F2. Type kdesudo
    >> "adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel" in the command box and press the OK
    >> button.

    > I suppose
    >
    > apt-get upgrade
    >
    > will do the job.

    No, that's your regular (daily) upgrade of individual packages.

    The one that does a version upgrade is sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, see
    man apt-get.

+ Reply to Thread