Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower? - Ubuntu ; FWIW....thought it might be of interested. :-) Tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/6evs9l Original URL: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php? page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1> PS.....personally I am not interested in participating in discussion on this topic so please address any replies to the group rather than me personally. Flamers etc ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    FWIW....thought it might be of interested. :-)

    Tiny URL:

    http://tinyurl.com/6evs9l

    Original URL:

    <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?
    page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1>

    PS.....personally I am not interested in participating in discussion on
    this topic so please address any replies to the group rather than me
    personally.

    Flamers etc will just end up in my killfile....so please don't bother.

    Thanks. :-)

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:33:03 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > propman propmeup schreef:
    >>
    >> FWIW....thought it might be of interested. :-)
    >>

    >> Tiny URL:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6evs9l
    >>
    >> Original URL:
    >>
    >> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?
    >> page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1>
    >>

    >> PS.....personally I am not interested in participating in discussion on
    >> this topic so please address any replies to the group rather than me
    >> personally.
    >>
    >> Flamers etc will just end up in my killfile....so please don't bother.
    >>
    >> Thanks. :-)
    >>

    > More commends and this time from a reliable source:
    > "http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/27/1212214"

    Hmmm..........seeing as how the article originated from phoronix.com and
    the link given above is a direct link to their site, how does one figure
    that slashdot is a "more reliable source"?

    PS...fwiw, enclosing the slashdot url in quotes for some reason disables
    Pan from opening up my web browser.

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    propman propmeup schreef:

    > FWIW....thought it might be of interested. :-)
    >

    > Tiny URL:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6evs9l
    >
    > Original URL:
    >
    > <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?
    > page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1>
    >

    > PS.....personally I am not interested in participating in discussion on
    > this topic so please address any replies to the group rather than me
    > personally.
    >
    > Flamers etc will just end up in my killfile....so please don't bother.
    >
    > Thanks. :-)

    More commends and this time from a reliable source:
    "http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/27/1212214"

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:15:29 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > propman propmeup schreef:

    >>> More commends and this time from a reliable source:
    >>> "http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/27/1212214"

    >> Hmmm..........seeing as how the article originated from phoronix.com
    >> and the link given above is a direct link to their site, how does one
    >> figure that slashdot is a "more reliable source"?

    > Because I SHOWED the source.
    > You'll never know where you end up when clicking a 'tinyurl'. For
    > Windows users a real thread, for Linux users still a nuisance.

    Hmmmm.......still not following you on this. As you can see from the
    quotes, I posted the TinyURL and the original url below it.

    If,however, you are referring to Slashdot as a "reliable source" of
    information, I'll agree but they were not the originators of the article;
    therefore, IMHO, it is better to reference the originators of the article
    themselves; the site Phoronix referenced is is just one of various sites
    I have an RSS feed from (Slashdot being another AAMOF).

    The opening statement from the Slashdot reference you posted is as
    follows:

    An anonymous reader writes "Phoronix has a new article where they provide
    Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, and 8.10 benchmarks and had ran many tests. In
    that article, when using an Intel notebook they witness major slowdowns
    in different areas and ask the question, Is Ubuntu getting slower?

    From the Phoronix site:

    Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?
    Published on October 27, 2008
    Written by Michael Larabel
    Page 1 of 10

    With the release of Ubuntu 8.10 coming out later this week we decided to
    use this opportunity to explore how the performance of this desktop Linux
    operating system has evolved over the past few releases. We performed
    clean installations of Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04, and Ubuntu
    8.10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook and used the Phoronix Test Suite
    to run 35 tests on each release that covered nine different areas of the
    system.

    >> PS...fwiw, enclosing the slashdot url in quotes for some reason
    >> disables Pan from opening up my web browser.

    > Weird.
    > Normally it is a way of preventing linewrap to break up a longer URL...

    Always thought it was and that's what I have been
    using....gonna have to do a double check now to see if my brain has been
    farting the last little while! :-)

    .....as an aside, I've heard the latest Pan release is quite buggy which I
    am finding out since stopping using Xnews the last little while; I may
    just end up installing the previous Pan version which from accounts I
    have read is better (read as, "not quite as buggy").

    Cheers.............:-)

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    propman propmeup schreef:
    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:33:03 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> propman propmeup schreef:
    >>> FWIW....thought it might be of interested. :-)
    >>>

    >>> Tiny URL:
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6evs9l
    >>>
    >>> Original URL:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?
    >>> page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1>
    >>>

    >>> PS.....personally I am not interested in participating in discussion on
    >>> this topic so please address any replies to the group rather than me
    >>> personally.
    >>>
    >>> Flamers etc will just end up in my killfile....so please don't bother.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. :-)
    >>>

    >> More commends and this time from a reliable source:
    >> "http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/27/1212214"

    > Hmmm..........seeing as how the article originated from phoronix.com and
    > the link given above is a direct link to their site, how does one figure
    > that slashdot is a "more reliable source"?

    Because I SHOWED the source.
    You'll never know where you end up when clicking a 'tinyurl'.
    For Windows users a real thread, for Linux users still a nuisance.

    > PS...fwiw, enclosing the slashdot url in quotes for some reason disables
    > Pan from opening up my web browser.

    Weird.
    Normally it is a way of preventing linewrap to break up a longer URL...

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:
    > propman propmeup schreef:

    .... snip ...

    >> PS...fwiw, enclosing the slashdot url in quotes for some reason
    >> disables Pan from opening up my web browser.

    > Weird. Normally it is a way of preventing linewrap to break up
    > a longer URL...

    Decent newsreaders will avoid any such wrap in the first place. IE
    does not meet that specification. At any rate, you can satisfy all
    by supplying both the real and the slashdot URL.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

    propman propmeup schreef:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:15:29 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> propman propmeup schreef:

    >>> Hmmm..........seeing as how the article originated from phoronix.com
    >>> and the link given above is a direct link to their site, how does one
    >>> figure that slashdot is a "more reliable source"?

    >> Because I SHOWED the source.
    >> You'll never know where you end up when clicking a 'tinyurl'. For
    >> Windows users a real thread, for Linux users still a nuisance.

    > Hmmmm.......still not following you on this. As you can see from the
    > quotes, I posted the TinyURL and the original url below it.
    >
    > If,however, you are referring to Slashdot as a "reliable source" of
    > information, I'll agree

    Hmm, I'd differentiate on that one...
    Though Slashdot reader comments show many if not all sides of an issue
    the original article is often lacking

    > but they were not the originators of the article;
    > therefore, IMHO, it is better to reference the originators of the article
    > themselves; the site Phoronix referenced is is just one of various sites
    > I have an RSS feed from (Slashdot being another AAMOF).

    You are right, I was a bit too quick reacting on the 'tinyurl'.

    > The opening statement from the Slashdot reference you posted is as
    > follows:
    >

    > An anonymous reader writes "Phoronix has a new article where they provide
    > Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, and 8.10 benchmarks and had ran many tests. In
    > that article, when using an Intel notebook they witness major slowdowns
    > in different areas and ask the question, Is Ubuntu getting slower?
    >

    > From the Phoronix site:
    >

    > Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?
    > Published on October 27, 2008
    > Written by Michael Larabel
    > Page 1 of 10
    >
    > With the release of Ubuntu 8.10 coming out later this week we decided to
    > use this opportunity to explore how the performance of this desktop Linux
    > operating system has evolved over the past few releases. We performed
    > clean installations of Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 8.04, and Ubuntu
    > 8.10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook and used the Phoronix Test Suite
    > to run 35 tests on each release that covered nine different areas of the
    > system.
    >

    >>> PS...fwiw, enclosing the slashdot url in quotes for some reason
    >>> disables Pan from opening up my web browser.

    >> Weird.
    >> Normally it is a way of preventing linewrap to break up a longer URL...

    > Always thought it was and that's what I have been
    > using....gonna have to do a double check now to see if my brain has been
    > farting the last little while! :-)

    Indeed should do something similar.

    > ....as an aside, I've heard the latest Pan release is quite buggy which I
    > am finding out since stopping using Xnews the last little while; I may
    > just end up installing the previous Pan version which from accounts I
    > have read is better (read as, "not quite as buggy").

    I use the PAN version that comes with Ubuntu 8.04, KDE 3.5.10.
    I am very happy with it but use it exclusively as a binaries client, for
    text I use Thunderbird.
    One reason for the split is my provider allows 3 threads on the binaries
    server and more on a separate text server.

+ Reply to Thread