ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem - Ubuntu ; I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at all from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its module it seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install disk that came with ...

  1. ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at all
    from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its module it
    seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install disk that came
    with the modem. The adapter does not seem to show any response at all
    including not accessing my access point.

    Could some please help with some step by step instructions as a have been
    unable to source and useful instruction that work on the web.

    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

  2. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:52:20 +1100, Peter wrote:

    > I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at
    > all from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its module
    > it seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install disk that
    > came with the modem. The adapter does not seem to show any response at
    > all including not accessing my access point.

    According to this

    <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
    HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsNetge ar>

    version 2 should work 'out of the box' using the rtl8187 driver.
    ndiswrapper not needed, apparently.

  3. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at
    >> all from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its
    >> module it seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install
    >> disk that came with the modem. The adapter does not seem to show any
    >> response at all including not accessing my access point.

    > According to this
    >
    > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/
    > HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsNetge ar>
    >
    > version 2 should work 'out of the box' using the rtl8187 driver.
    > ndiswrapper not needed, apparently.

    The page about the USB wireless dongle is actually here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...e/NetgearWG111 or
    http://snipr.com/4qpks WifiDocsDeviceNetgearWG111 - WG111 How To

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    On 27/10/08 20:52, Peter wrote:
    > I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at
    > all from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its module
    > it seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install disk that
    > came with the modem. The adapter does not seem to show any response at
    > all including not accessing my access point.
    >
    > Could some please help with some step by step instructions as a have
    > been unable to source and useful instruction that work on the web.

    I have one of those too. I tried and failed to get it working with a
    Hardy live CD. It works beautifully with Gutsy (7.10) so I am still
    running that (with ndiswrapper -- the rtl driver never worked for me for
    longer than a few minutes).

    When I was investigating the problem with 8.04, there seemed to be some
    ideological bickering among the Linux kernel developers about which
    kernel code ndiswrapper should be allowed to use. You may need to use
    an older kernel to get it working. I use 2.6.22-14.

    The WG111v2 can have different chipsets inside, which means it will work
    with some drivers but not others. Run "lsusb". My dongle has ID
    0846:6a00. If yours has a different ID, any instructions I give you
    probably will not work.

    You can also try installing wicd -- there are reports of that working
    where Ubuntu's default Network Manager don't.

  5. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    Here is the Isusb dump. The device ID is the same as yours do you have any
    thoughts on how to save my problem.

    I have another post that explains more of my problem if you would like to
    have a look.

    Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter won't connect to AP in Ubuntu 8.04
    Hardy Herron.

    ~# lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0846:6a00 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    root@peter-desktop:~#

    "James C" wrote in message
    > On 27/10/08 20:52, Peter wrote:
    >> I am unable to get my Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter to work at all
    >> from Hardy Herron. I have installed ndiswrapper and using its module it
    >> seemed to successfully installed the driver on the install disk that came
    >> with the modem. The adapter does not seem to show any response at all
    >> including not accessing my access point.
    >>
    >> Could some please help with some step by step instructions as a have been
    >> unable to source and useful instruction that work on the web.

    > I have one of those too. I tried and failed to get it working with a
    > Hardy live CD. It works beautifully with Gutsy (7.10) so I am still
    > running that (with ndiswrapper -- the rtl driver never worked for me for
    > longer than a few minutes).
    >
    > When I was investigating the problem with 8.04, there seemed to be some
    > ideological bickering among the Linux kernel developers about which kernel
    > code ndiswrapper should be allowed to use. You may need to use an older
    > kernel to get it working. I use 2.6.22-14.
    >
    > The WG111v2 can have different chipsets inside, which means it will work
    > with some drivers but not others. Run "lsusb". My dongle has ID
    > 0846:6a00. If yours has a different ID, any instructions I give you
    > probably will not work.
    >
    > You can also try installing wicd -- there are reports of that working
    > where Ubuntu's default Network Manager don't.

  6. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    On 31/10/08 17:53, Peter wrote:
    > Here is the Isusb dump. The device ID is the same as yours do you have
    > any thoughts on how to save my problem.
    >
    > I have another post that explains more of my problem if you would like
    > to have a look.
    >
    > Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter won't connect to AP in Ubuntu 8.04
    > Hardy Herron.

    Have you tried Ubuntu 8.10? I am going to try it when I get time.

    If WPA doesn't work, have you tried WEP, or is that too much compromise?

    The blue LED might only blink with the Windows driver and ndiswrapper.

    Let us know if you have any success. Good luck!

  7. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    On 01/11/08 16:48, James C wrote:

    > Have you tried Ubuntu 8.10? I am going to try it when I get time.
    >
    > If WPA doesn't work, have you tried WEP, or is that too much compromise?
    >
    > The blue LED might only blink with the Windows driver and ndiswrapper.

    Initial tests of 8.10 live CD look promising:
    The rtl driver seemed to stay connected (using WEP).
    But the LED on the dongle didn't flash
    and I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work.
    I need to do more testing before I upgrade from 7.10.

  8. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    James C wrote:
    > On 01/11/08 16:48, James C wrote:
    >>
    >> Have you tried Ubuntu 8.10? I am going to try it when I get time.
    >>
    >> If WPA doesn't work, have you tried WEP, or is that too much compromise?
    >>
    >> The blue LED might only blink with the Windows driver and ndiswrapper.

    > Initial tests of 8.10 live CD look promising:
    > The rtl driver seemed to stay connected (using WEP).
    > But the LED on the dongle didn't flash
    > and I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work.

    ......"couldn't get it to work"....in what way? Just in case you are
    unaware of it, there is a GUI for ndiswrapper that makes the whole
    process painless. Use your package manager to download ndisgtk if you
    don't already have it (the other two ndiswrapper files, common and utils
    will automatically be selected and installed at the same time).

    Once you have it brought up on screen, it will ask you for a pointer (ie
    directory) to the windows INF file that contains the information that
    windows uses to install drivers. Once ndisgtk has that file in hand,
    the whole process is finished automatically. If you pick the wrong INF,
    ndisgtk will generate an error message and allow you to continue until
    the correct file is selected.

    > I need to do more testing before I upgrade from 7.10.

    Sounds like a wise course of action! :-)

  9. Re: ndiswrapper and Netgear WG111v2 USB Wireless Adapter problem

    On 02/11/08 17:25, propman wrote:
    > James C wrote:
    >> [...] and I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work.

    > ......"couldn't get it to work"....in what way?

    I'm pretty familiar with ndiswrapper from 7.10 and attempts with 8.04,
    but I only have limited time on weekends to experiment with 8.10.

    I installed ndisgtk (and dependencies), loaded the Netgear Windows
    driver and tried to reconnect using the nm-applet but it just kept
    "spinning" and prompting for the encryption key. /var/log/messages
    didn't say anything obvious, and that's gone now as I was testing the
    live CD and didn't save the log files anywhere. When I uninstalled the
    Windows driver from ndisgtk, it reloaded the rtl driver and wifi worked
    again.

    Also, the rtl driver was reporting signal strength <50%, whereas the
    Windows driver with ndiswrapper on 7.10 reports >90%, FWIW.

    Next weekend I will do some more tests.

+ Reply to Thread