8.04 became slow - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 8.04 became slow - Ubuntu ; Hi, So I installed 8.04 about 4 months ago, and it was running well. Now, in the last week, it all of a sudden became very slow. Unbearably so. I have installed a lot of programs, but they had all ...

  1. 8.04 became slow

    Hi,

    So I installed 8.04 about 4 months ago, and it was running well.

    Now, in the last week, it all of a sudden became very slow. Unbearably
    so. I have installed a lot of programs, but they had all been installed
    and running fine for at least a month before the slowdown.

    I did run updates, but only today as an idea to try and correct the
    problem. I probably hadn't done updates since the install otherwise.

    I have checked the usual suspects (xserver-xgl, but I don't have that
    installed) and I have been messing with xorg - and actually this seems
    strange to me. I have made drastic changes to the xorg, but don't notice
    any difference upon reboot. Even specifying which resolutions should be
    available doesn't seem to shorten the list in gnome. Is there a way that
    Ubuntu bypasses XORG?

    Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is going
    at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half available, but
    things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open programs (10-20
    seconds), very slow redrawing.

    Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could look at? My specs,
    which may be relevant, are a Pentium M 1.7 with 768 RAM. Although this
    isn't a zippy quick system it was performing very well for me up to this
    point.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Here is my xorg.conf as well, perhaps something jumps out at someone:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Radeon 9600"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 28-72
    VertRefresh 43-60
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Radeon 9600"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1440x900" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

  2. Re: 8.04 became slow

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:39:48 +0000 (UTC), edgy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > So I installed 8.04 about 4 months ago, and it was running well.
    >
    > Now, in the last week, it all of a sudden became very slow. Unbearably
    > so. I have installed a lot of programs, but they had all been installed
    > and running fine for at least a month before the slowdown.

    Run htop or top from a CLI and post the results here.
    That should pin it....

  3. Re: 8.04 became slow

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:39:48 +0000, edgy wrote:

    > Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    > symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is going
    > at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half available, but
    > things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open programs (10-20
    > seconds), very slow redrawing.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could look at? My specs,
    > which may be relevant, are a Pentium M 1.7 with 768 RAM. Although this
    > isn't a zippy quick system it was performing very well for me up to this
    > point.

    Command session -> type "top"

    Or, IMHO, nicer layout (YMMV):

    command session -> type "htop"

    if htop isn't installed....sudo apt-get install htop

    You should be able to determine which program(s) is hitting your system
    so hard. (iirc, "watchdog" can be common culprit)

  4. Re: 8.04 became slow

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:46:57 +0000, propman propmeup wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:39:48 +0000, edgy wrote:
    >

    >> Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    >> symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is
    >> going at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half
    >> available, but things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open
    >> programs (10-20 seconds), very slow redrawing.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could look at? My specs,
    >> which may be relevant, are a Pentium M 1.7 with 768 RAM. Although this
    >> isn't a zippy quick system it was performing very well for me up to
    >> this point.

    > Command session -> type "top"
    >
    > Or, IMHO, nicer layout (YMMV):
    >
    > command session -> type "htop"
    >
    > if htop isn't installed....sudo apt-get install htop
    >
    > You should be able to determine which program(s) is hitting your system
    > so hard. (iirc, "watchdog" can be common culprit)

    My results from top:

    5277 root 20 0 183m 15m 3956 S 4.8 2.0 25:39.74
    Xorg
    7695 nick 20 0 65392 18m 10m S 3.5 2.4 0:05.00 gnome-
    terminal
    6555 nick 20 0 400m 99m 13m S 2.1 13.1 25:09.17
    firefox
    7716 nick 20 0 2308 1112 856 R 1.4 0.1 0:00.96
    top
    6058 nick 20 0 46172 4936 3824 S 0.7 0.6 0:43.30
    metacity
    1 root 20 0 2844 252 252 S 0.0 0.0 0:02.10
    init
    2 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00
    kthreadd
    3 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00
    migration/0
    4 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:05.38
    ksoftirqd/0
    5 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.02
    watchdog/0
    6 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.92
    events/0
    7 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00
    khelper
    41 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:01.06
    kblockd/0
    44 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:14.96
    kacpid
    45 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.06
    kacpi_notify
    120 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00
    kseriod
    151 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.02 pdflush

    Now that is basically at idle. If I, for example, start a new program or
    open a new tab in firefox, xorg and the new program basically grab 50% of
    the cpu each.

  5. Re: 8.04 became slow

    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../10/27/1212214

> [...]
    > any difference upon reboot. Even specifying which resolutions should be
    > available doesn't seem to shorten the list in gnome. Is there a way that
    > Ubuntu bypasses XORG?
    >
    > Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    > symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is going
    > at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half available, but
    > things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open programs (10-20
    > seconds), very slow redrawing.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could look at? My specs,
    > which may be relevant, are a Pentium M 1.7 with 768 RAM. Although this
    > isn't a zippy quick system it was performing very well for me up to this
    > point.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    >
    > Here is my xorg.conf as well, perhaps something jumps out at someone:

  6. Re: 8.04 became slow

    n Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:17:54 +0000, edgy wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:46:57 +0000, propman propmeup wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:39:48 +0000, edgy wrote:
    >>

    >>> Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    >>> symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is
    >>> going at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half
    >>> available, but things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open
    >>> programs (10-20 seconds), very slow redrawing.

    >> You should be able to determine which program(s) is hitting your system
    >> so hard. (iirc, "watchdog" can be common culprit)

    > My results from top:
    >
    > PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    > 5277 root 20 0 183m 15m 3956 S 4.8 2.0 25:39.74
    > Xorg
    > 7695 nick 20 0 65392 18m 10m S 3.5 2.4 0:05.00 gnome-
    > terminal
    > 6555 nick 20 0 400m 99m 13m S 2.1 13.1 25:09.17
    > firefox

    > Now that is basically at idle. If I, for example, start a new program
    > or open a new tab in firefox, xorg and the new program basically grab
    > 50% of the cpu each.

    Certainly no expert on this but if I was trying to troubleshoot a problem
    like this, IMHO, the information contained in a listing of top's output
    during the heavy CPU usage period would be more conducive to locating a
    potential source of the problem; the listing quoted above merely shows
    what's happening when your system isn't experiencing any heavy CPU usage.

    Save a listing of both states (idling and heavy) and then do a comparison
    between the two; if comparison shows extra processes being initiated then
    observe their cpu/memory usage and/or try killing them off one at a time
    to see if that will give you any indication where the problem is
    originating from.

    As mentioned before, I am certainly no expert regarding this topic and
    hopefully other more knowledgeable participants here will also be able to
    chime in with suggestions too.

  7. Re: 8.04 became slow

    edgy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > So I installed 8.04 about 4 months ago, and it was running well.
    >
    > Now, in the last week, it all of a sudden became very slow. Unbearably
    > so. I have installed a lot of programs, but they had all been installed
    > and running fine for at least a month before the slowdown.
    >
    > I did run updates, but only today as an idea to try and correct the
    > problem. I probably hadn't done updates since the install otherwise.
    >
    > I have checked the usual suspects (xserver-xgl, but I don't have that
    > installed) and I have been messing with xorg - and actually this seems
    > strange to me. I have made drastic changes to the xorg, but don't notice
    > any difference upon reboot. Even specifying which resolutions should be
    > available doesn't seem to shorten the list in gnome. Is there a way that
    > Ubuntu bypasses XORG?
    >
    > Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    > symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is going
    > at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half available, but
    > things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open programs (10-20
    > seconds), very slow redrawing.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could look at? My specs,
    > which may be relevant, are a Pentium M 1.7 with 768 RAM. Although this
    > isn't a zippy quick system it was performing very well for me up to this
    > point.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice!
    >
    > Here is my xorg.conf as well, perhaps something jumps out at someone:

    Have you tried the fglrx driver (the proprietary ATI one)? It might not
    be to your liking, but it might shed some light on where the problem
    lies. If you have already installed the fglrx driver, recompiling it
    might make some difference if you installed it before the last kernel
    update.

    Can you reboot and choose kernel 2.6.24-19 rather than 2.6.24-21?

    What frame rate do you get with glxgears?

    Are you running compiz? If so, try disabling it to see if that makes a
    difference.

    --
    JimP

  8. Re: 8.04 became slow

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:33:04 +0000, Jim Price wrote:

    > edgy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> So I installed 8.04 about 4 months ago, and it was running well.
    >>
    >> Now, in the last week, it all of a sudden became very slow. Unbearably
    >> so. I have installed a lot of programs, but they had all been
    >> installed and running fine for at least a month before the slowdown.
    >>
    >> I did run updates, but only today as an idea to try and correct the
    >> problem. I probably hadn't done updates since the install otherwise.
    >>
    >> I have checked the usual suspects (xserver-xgl, but I don't have that
    >> installed) and I have been messing with xorg - and actually this seems
    >> strange to me. I have made drastic changes to the xorg, but don't
    >> notice any difference upon reboot. Even specifying which resolutions
    >> should be available doesn't seem to shorten the list in gnome. Is
    >> there a way that Ubuntu bypasses XORG?
    >>
    >> Anyways, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here. Here are the
    >> symptoms: If I have 1 or two programs running, the CPU quickly is
    >> going at 100%. RAM is about normal and I still have about half
    >> available, but things are moving at a snail's pace. Very slow to open
    >> programs (10-20 seconds), very slow redrawing.
    >>

    > Have you tried the fglrx driver (the proprietary ATI one)? It might not
    > be to your liking, but it might shed some light on where the problem
    > lies. If you have already installed the fglrx driver, recompiling it
    > might make some difference if you installed it before the last kernel
    > update.

    I am now using the fglrx driver again, after trying to run it with the
    ATI driver.

    > Can you reboot and choose kernel 2.6.24-19 rather than 2.6.24-21?

    my only choice on boot is actually 2.6.24-19, and "uname -a" confirms
    this is what I'm running.

    > What frame rate do you get with glxgears?

    2821 frames in 5.0 seconds = 564.192 FPS
    4349 frames in 5.0 seconds = 869.710 FPS
    3545 frames in 5.0 seconds = 708.904 FPS
    4225 frames in 5.0 seconds = 844.068 FPS
    2707 frames in 5.0 seconds = 536.711 FPS
    1020 frames in 5.0 seconds = 203.541 FPS
    1086 frames in 5.0 seconds = 217.177 FPS
    2014 frames in 5.0 seconds = 402.740 FPS
    3966 frames in 5.0 seconds = 793.106 FPS
    3954 frames in 5.0 seconds = 790.703 FPS
    4119 frames in 5.0 seconds = 823.778 FPS
    3750 frames in 5.0 seconds = 749.881 FPS

    > Are you running compiz? If so, try disabling it to see if that makes a
    > difference.

    No, I am not running any fancy stuff.

    Thanks for your help so far!

+ Reply to Thread