Newer Mono-JIT? - Ubuntu

  2. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:40:21 +0100, Jure Sah wrote:

    > I spent several days trying to nudge a program into functionality until
    > I finally realized the MONO available in Ubuntu repos was ancient.

    FWIW.......Kubuntu's Adept repo manager shows the following latest
    comments in the Developer Changelog; is March 2008 ancient?

    mono (1.2.6+dfsg-6ubuntu3) hardy; urgency=low

    * debian/rules:
    + unexport CPPFLAGS because configure relies on them being unset
    to pass custom CPPFLAGS to boehm's configure.

    -- Sebastian Dröge Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:57:15 +0100

    mono (1.2.6+dfsg-6ubuntu2) hardy; urgency=low

    * debian/rules:
    + Put CFLAGS in "" to make the shell happy and fix the build.
    + Set default CFLAGS to -O2 -g.

    -- Sebastian Dröge Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:31:01 +0100

    > Where can I find a newer version that'll work? I have 8.04 LTS, AMD64.

    .....again fwiw, adept shows that the file is available through:
    pool/m/mono/mono-jit_1.2.6+dfsg-6ubuntu3_i386.deb

    > Is compiling it from source under Ubuntu too much of a hassle (I know
    > how to compile from source, but I suppose additional hacking is needed)?

    Darned if I know! :-)

  3. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    Jure Sah wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I spent several days trying to nudge a program into functionality
    > until I finally realized the MONO available in Ubuntu repos was
    > ancient.
    >
    > Where can I find a newer version that'll work? I have 8.04 LTS, AMD64.
    >
    > Is compiling it from source under Ubuntu too much of a hassle (I know
    > how to compile from source, but I suppose additional hacking is
    > needed)?

    I have a script that you can use to get Mono 2.0.1 and install it in
    your home directory. You need to install the build-dependencies
    manually, but other than that, the script will do all the heavy lifting
    for you, including pulling a SVN debugger and SVN monodevelop.

    http://www.trausch.us/wp-content/upl...stall-mono2.sh

    This will (assuming you have the build-deps) configure, build, and
    install Mono 2.0.1 (well, the majority of it). It does not install
    support for Boo, or IKVM.

    The resulting tree will be in ${HOME}/opt/mono-2.0.

    A shortcut to a terminal will be placed on your desktop so that you can
    have a terminal that will use the Mono 2.0 environment.

    Feel free to send any questions to me by way of Internet email. The
    address I post with is valid.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  4. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > I have a script that you can use to get Mono 2.0.1 and install it in
    > your home directory. You need to install the build-dependencies
    > manually, but other than that, the script will do all the heavy lifting
    > for you, including pulling a SVN debugger and SVN monodevelop.
    >
    > http://www.trausch.us/wp-content/upl...stall-mono2.sh
    >
    > This will (assuming you have the build-deps) configure, build, and
    > install Mono 2.0.1 (well, the majority of it). It does not install
    > support for Boo, or IKVM.

    I ask this out of my own curiosity and the fact that I was reading the
    apt manual tonight.

    That being said, am I mistaken or would auto-apt run ./install-mono2.sh
    prompt you and automatically install any dependencies (as long as they
    were in your repos and your apt-cache was up to date) that you need?
    This is merely for clarification on my part because I found auto-apt to
    be intriguing. I apologize if you feel I hijacked your thread.

    - Todd

  5. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:12:01 -0400
    Todd Edwards wrote:

    > Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > > I have a script that you can use to get Mono 2.0.1 and install it in
    > > your home directory. You need to install the build-dependencies
    > > manually, but other than that, the script will do all the heavy
    > > lifting for you, including pulling a SVN debugger and SVN
    > > monodevelop.
    > >
    > > http://www.trausch.us/wp-content/upl...stall-mono2.sh
    > >
    > > This will (assuming you have the build-deps) configure, build, and
    > > install Mono 2.0.1 (well, the majority of it). It does not install
    > > support for Boo, or IKVM.

    > I ask this out of my own curiosity and the fact that I was reading
    > the apt manual tonight.
    >
    > That being said, am I mistaken or would auto-apt
    > run ./install-mono2.sh prompt you and automatically install any
    > dependencies (as long as they were in your repos and your apt-cache
    > was up to date) that you need? This is merely for clarification on my
    > part because I found auto-apt to be intriguing. I apologize if you
    > feel I hijacked your thread.

    Curious indeed. I don't know if that would work. If it does, I don't
    know how. :-)

    I know that "apt-get build-dep mono" before hand will get *most* of the
    deps out of the way. You also need to get libncurses5-dev, at least.
    I don't know if there is anything else, though; the script will tell
    you if it fails in the ./configure part and the configure log will tell
    you what you're missing...

    It's just a script that I wrote for me to use, and I released it in the
    hopes that someone else can be helped by it. Am willing to take
    patches in "diff -u" format, if you're so inclined to improve its
    functionality, though.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
    http://www.trausch.us/

  6. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > Curious indeed. I don't know if that would work. If it does, I don't
    > know how. :-)
    >
    > I know that "apt-get build-dep mono" before hand will get *most* of the
    > deps out of the way. You also need to get libncurses5-dev, at least.
    > I don't know if there is anything else, though; the script will tell
    > you if it fails in the ./configure part and the configure log will tell
    > you what you're missing...
    >
    > It's just a script that I wrote for me to use, and I released it in the
    > hopes that someone else can be helped by it. Am willing to take
    > patches in "diff -u" format, if you're so inclined to improve its
    > functionality, though.
    >
    > --- Mike

    After reading this I believe that it would work. However, I'd like to
    find something a bit smaller (ok a lot smaller) to test it on.

    Quoted from:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...tml#s-auto-apt

    5.3 How to install packages "on demand"

    You're compiling a program and, all of a sudden, boom! There's an error
    because it needs a .h file you don't have. The program auto-apt can save
    you from such scenarios. It asks you to install packages if they're
    needed, stopping the relevant process and continuing once the package is
    installed.

    What you do, basically, is run:

    # auto-apt run command

    Where `command' is the command to be executed that may need some
    unavailable file. For example:

    # auto-apt run ./configure

    It will then ask to install the needed packages and call apt-get
    automatically. If you're running X, a graphical interface will replace
    the default text interface.

    Auto-apt keeps databases which need to be kept up-to-date in order for
    it to be effective. This is achieved by calling the commands auto-apt
    update, auto-apt updatedb and auto-apt update-local.

  7. Re: Newer Mono-JIT?

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 01:44:12 -0400
    Todd Edwards wrote:

    > After reading this I believe that it would work. However, I'd like to
    > find something a bit smaller (ok a lot smaller) to test it on.

    Hrm. It might work better if not all the output went to a log file. I
    will set up a VM tomorrow and test it there just to see, because now
    you've got me all curious-like. :-)

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.