OT: Hard Drive Opinions? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: Hard Drive Opinions? - Ubuntu ; NoStop wrote: > >>> So is it dd that you're running to clone the drive over? >> Yup, bs between 2^4 bytes and 2^19 bytes (I think) to see what works >> best. >> >>> How long does it take ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Hard Drive Opinions?

    NoStop wrote:

    >>> So is it dd that you're running to clone the drive over?

    >> Yup, bs between 2^4 bytes and 2^19 bytes (I think) to see what works
    >> best.
    >>
    >>> How long does it take each night?

    >> Lessee, the transfer runs about 40 MB/s, so that means it'd take about
    >> an hour and a half. It's significantly faster if they're on separate IDE
    >> cables, but my cables won't reach that way.

    Why don't you use rsync for this? Seems to me the main drive only has
    one day of modifications, so rsync (which copies only the changed files)
    will do this pretty quickly.

    Sure, you don't have a block-for-block same drive, but that doesn't
    really matter if you did a 'dd' the first time you set this system up.

    Bob

  2. Re: Hard Drive Opinions?

    In article <4906e779$0$200$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Bob wrote:

    > >> Yup, bs between 2^4 bytes and 2^19 bytes (I think) to see what works
    > >> best.

    > >> Lessee, the transfer runs about 40 MB/s, so that means it'd take about
    > >> an hour and a half. It's significantly faster if they're on separate IDE
    > >> cables, but my cables won't reach that way.

    > Why don't you use rsync for this? Seems to me the main drive only has
    > one day of modifications, so rsync (which copies only the changed files)
    > will do this pretty quickly.

    Because I'd have to make sure the partition tables are the same and
    mount each partition to do that. Time taken isn't really a factor since
    it completes while I sleep (unless something goes wrong).

    If I get a big/slow enough HD that I can't dd it overnight, then sure,
    I'll look into rsync.

    Two atoms are discussing whether or not to go into a bar. The first atom
    says, "I don't know about this place. Last time I went in there, I lost
    an electron." The second atom says, "Don't worry, I'll keep my ion you."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2