Virtual desktops acting strange - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Virtual desktops acting strange - Ubuntu ; I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out. I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and Evolution in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Virtual desktops acting strange

  1. Virtual desktops acting strange

    I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and Evolution
    in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens up in the no.
    1 desktop.

    If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in no. 3
    as expected.

    This is not what I'm used to from Mandriva.

    Seems to me that this is not the way it should be.
    Am I missing something obvious, or is there a setting somewhere to make
    the desktops act as completely separate ones?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    Iordani wrote:
    > I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    > I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and Evolution
    > in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens up in the no.
    > 1 desktop.
    >
    > If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in no. 3
    > as expected.
    >
    > This is not what I'm used to from Mandriva.
    >
    > Seems to me that this is not the way it should be.
    > Am I missing something obvious, or is there a setting somewhere to make
    > the desktops act as completely separate ones?
    >
    > Thanks


    AFAIK, this is the default behavior.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  3. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    * Iordani wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    > I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and
    > Evolution in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens
    > up in the no. 1 desktop.
    >
    > If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in
    > no. 3 as expected.
    >
    > This is not what I'm used to from Mandriva.
    >
    > Seems to me that this is not the way it should be.
    > Am I missing something obvious, or is there a setting somewhere to
    > make the desktops act as completely separate ones?
    >
    > Thanks


    IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?

    If so, change the behavior of FF to open new links in a new tab instead of
    a new window and see if that fixes it.

    --
    David

  4. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Iordani wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    >> I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and
    >> Evolution in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens
    >> up in the no. 1 desktop.
    >>
    >> If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in
    >> no. 3 as expected.
    >>
    >> This is not what I'm used to from Mandriva.
    >>
    >> Seems to me that this is not the way it should be.
    >> Am I missing something obvious, or is there a setting somewhere to
    >> make the desktops act as completely separate ones?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    > IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?


    No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's on).
    If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I would like is
    the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at the moment.

    Isn't that the whole idea with virtual desktops? Well, at least to me it
    is.

    >
    > If so, change the behavior of FF to open new links in a new tab instead of
    > a new window and see if that fixes it.
    >



  5. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:57:20 +0100, Iordani wrote:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?

    >
    > No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's
    > on). If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I
    > would like is the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at
    > the moment.



    FWIW....just tried it here with Kubuntu v8.04 (with default 2 desktops)
    and FF v3.0.2 (minimized in desktop 1); a new instance of FF was opened
    in desktop 2 after clicking on URL inside of Pan newsreader(which was
    running on desktop 2).

    Most likely a configuration buglet at your end....haven't the faintest
    idea what it may be but at least now you know that it will work as you
    expected it to. :-)

    PS....this was the first time I have tried this and so I would imagine
    that my configuration is probably a default one stemming from OS and FF
    original installations.

  6. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    propman propmeup wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:57:20 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >>
    >>> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?

    >>
    >> No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's
    >> on). If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I
    >> would like is the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at
    >> the moment.

    >
    >
    > FWIW....just tried it here with Kubuntu v8.04 (with default 2 desktops)
    > and FF v3.0.2 (minimized in desktop 1); a new instance of FF was opened
    > in desktop 2 after clicking on URL inside of Pan newsreader(which was
    > running on desktop 2).
    >
    > Most likely a configuration buglet at your end....haven't the faintest
    > idea what it may be but at least now you know that it will work as you
    > expected it to. :-)
    >
    > PS....this was the first time I have tried this and so I would imagine
    > that my configuration is probably a default one stemming from OS and FF
    > original installations.


    Thanks for your info.

    So trying this I on my laptop where I have changed next to nothing gives
    same result as on my desktop.

    That is, two virtual desktops, opened FF in first and then clicking an URL
    (in a mail) in the second. Each click brings up a new tab in FF on the
    first desktop.


  7. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:04:07 +0100, Iordani wrote:

    > propman propmeup wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:57:20 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    >>
    >>> SINNER wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?
    >>>
    >>> No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's
    >>> on). If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I
    >>> would like is the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at
    >>> at the moment.

    >>
    >>
    >> FWIW....just tried it here with Kubuntu v8.04 (with default 2 desktops)
    >> and FF v3.0.2 (minimized in desktop 1); a new instance of FF was opened
    >> in desktop 2 after clicking on URL inside of Pan newsreader(which was
    >> running on desktop 2).
    >>
    >> Most likely a configuration buglet at your end....haven't the faintest
    >> idea what it may be but at least now you know that it will work as you
    >> expected it to. :-)
    >>
    >> PS....this was the first time I have tried this and so I would imagine
    >> that my configuration is probably a default one stemming from OS and FF
    >> original installations.

    >
    > Thanks for your info.
    >
    > So trying this I on my laptop where I have changed next to nothing gives
    > same result as on my desktop.
    >
    > That is, two virtual desktops, opened FF in first and then clicking an
    > URL (in a mail) in the second. Each click brings up a new tab in FF on
    > the first desktop.



    OK....just checked my Ubuntu v8.04 system and it displays the same
    actions as your system. I use the same FF options on both my Kubuntu and
    Ubuntu setups so I am doubting the difference is FF related. My hunch is
    probably it's a Gnome vrs KDE configs option but nothing concrete. Maybe
    if I get time to do so, I'll see if Google can turn up anything.....or
    hopefully someone else here will chime in with a suggestion or two. :-)


  8. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    Iordani illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Iordani wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    >>> I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and
    >>> Evolution in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens
    >>> up in the no. 1 desktop.
    >>>
    >>> If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in
    >>> no. 3 as expected.
    >>>
    >>> This is not what I'm used to from Mandriva.
    >>>
    >>> Seems to me that this is not the way it should be.
    >>> Am I missing something obvious, or is there a setting somewhere to
    >>> make the desktops act as completely separate ones?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>
    >> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?

    >
    > No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's on).
    > If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I would like is
    > the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at the moment.
    >
    > Isn't that the whole idea with virtual desktops? Well, at least to me it
    > is.


    Just a thought. Have you got something like "Tab mix plus" set at
    "single window mode". Or one of the other equivalent FF extensions?

    --
    I went to Millets and said 'I want to buy a tent.' He said 'To camp?',
    I said [butchly] 'Sorry, I want to buy a tent.' I said 'I also want to
    buy a caravan.' He said 'Camper?' I said [campily] 'Make your mind up.'
    ~ Tim Vine

  9. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    Moog wrote:

    >>>
    >>> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?

    >>
    >> No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop it's
    >> on).
    >> If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I would like
    >> is the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at the moment.
    >>
    >> Isn't that the whole idea with virtual desktops? Well, at least to me
    >> it is.

    >
    > Just a thought. Have you got something like "Tab mix plus" set at
    > "single window mode". Or one of the other equivalent FF extensions?


    I disabled all extensions in FF and it (Ubuntu / Gnome?) still acts the same
    way as before.

    Thanks


  10. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    * Iordani wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>>>
    >>>> IOW, it opens a new instance of FF on Desktop 1?
    >>>
    >>> No. It opens the link in the already opened FF (whatever desktop
    >>> it's on).
    >>> If it's a new tab or new window does not matter to me. What I would
    >>> like is the action to take place in the desktop I'm looking at at
    >>> the moment.
    >>>
    >>> Isn't that the whole idea with virtual desktops? Well, at least to
    >>> me it is.

    >>
    >> Just a thought. Have you got something like "Tab mix plus" set at
    >> "single window mode". Or one of the other equivalent FF extensions?

    >
    > I disabled all extensions in FF and it (Ubuntu / Gnome?) still acts
    > the same way as before.
    >
    > Thanks
    >


    Then this is likely something to do with the way Evolution handles urls, I
    dont think its a firefox issue.

    --
    David

  11. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    SINNER wrote:

    >>
    >> I disabled all extensions in FF and it (Ubuntu / Gnome?) still acts
    >> the same way as before.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >
    > Then this is likely something to do with the way Evolution handles urls, I
    > dont think its a firefox issue.


    Good idea. I checked Evolution but can not find a setting for this, at
    least not in Preferences. Maybe there is one in some config file?

    Thanks


  12. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    On 26/10/08 11:25, Iordani wrote:
    > I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    > I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and Evolution
    > in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens up in the no.
    > 1 desktop.
    >
    > If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in no. 3
    > as expected.


    When apps such as Evolution try to open a web page, you can set Firefox
    to open it either in a new tab or a new window.

    If you choose "new window", the new window should appear on your current
    desktop. If Firefox is not already running, it will have to open a new
    window, which should appear on your current desktop.

    If Firefox is already running, and the new page opens in a new tab in an
    existing Firefox window, the window manager should move that Firefox
    window to your current desktop. This works for me (Ubuntu 7.10) -- but
    I am not using "Visual Effects" (Compiz). Compiz seems to have a
    different idea about what a "desktop" is compared to metacity -- e.g.,
    the Workspace Switcher behaves differently, Wine gets confused, etc.

    If you are using Compiz, your best option may be to tell Firefox to open
    new pages in a new window rather than a new tab. See the "Tabs" panel
    in Firefox options.

  13. Re: Virtual desktops acting strange

    James C wrote:

    > On 26/10/08 11:25, Iordani wrote:
    >> I have just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome to try it out.
    >> I use 4 virtual desktops. If I have Firefox opened in no.1 and Evolution
    >> in no. 3, and click on an URL in a mail, this link opens up in the no.
    >> 1 desktop.
    >>
    >> If I don't have Firefox opened in any desktop, Firefox opens up in no. 3
    >> as expected.

    >
    > When apps such as Evolution try to open a web page, you can set Firefox
    > to open it either in a new tab or a new window.


    Yes, I know that.
    >
    > If you choose "new window", the new window should appear on your current
    > desktop.


    Agreed, it should but it doesn't. It opens on (tab or window) on desktop
    where firefox is already opened.

    > If Firefox is not already running, it will have to open a new
    > window, which should appear on your current desktop.


    That's correct and that's what happens.

    > If Firefox is already running, and the new page opens in a new tab in an
    > existing Firefox window, the window manager should move that Firefox
    > window to your current desktop.

    That would be a nice feature But this is not the case.

    > This works for me (Ubuntu 7.10) -- but


    But not here with Ubuntu 8.0.4

    > I am not using "Visual Effects" (Compiz). Compiz seems to have a
    > different idea about what a "desktop" is compared to metacity -- e.g.,
    > the Workspace Switcher behaves differently, Wine gets confused, etc.


    I've tried with and without the visual effects. Same thing.

    > If you are using Compiz, your best option may be to tell Firefox to open
    > new pages in a new window rather than a new tab. See the "Tabs" panel
    > in Firefox options.


    This makes no difference. It all happens on the desktop where firefox is
    opened.

    Thanks


+ Reply to Thread