installing server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on installing server - Ubuntu ; I have 8.04 on my dual boot laptop (XP + Ubuntu). I need to create a server environment so as to install Drupal. I prefer to stay within the Ubuntu environment. How should I proceed?...

  1. installing server

    I have 8.04 on my dual boot laptop (XP + Ubuntu). I need to create a
    server environment so as to install Drupal. I prefer to stay within the
    Ubuntu environment. How should I proceed?

  2. Re: installing server

    frank wrote:

    > I have 8.04 on my dual boot laptop (XP + Ubuntu). I need to create a
    > server environment so as to install Drupal. I prefer to stay within the
    > Ubuntu environment. How should I proceed?

    If you are planning on using the same machine you already are using then use
    apt-get or adept or aptitude to install the appropriate server modules.

    However, if you are planning on setting up a dedicated server you can
    download and install Ubuntu 8.02 Server edition with comes ready to go once
    installed. I run a production web server quite successfully with only
    512MB of RAM and an 80GB disk. Works like a champ.

    HTH

  3. Re: installing server

    Bob M wrote:
    > However, if you are planning on setting up a dedicated server you can
    > download and install Ubuntu 8.02 Server edition

    What the heck is 8.02?

    Maybe ubuntu-8.04.1 is what you're after?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: installing server

    frank wrote:
    > I have 8.04 on my dual boot laptop (XP + Ubuntu). I need to create a
    > server environment so as to install Drupal. I prefer to stay within the
    > Ubuntu environment. How should I proceed?

    drupal5 is in the repos. Install it.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: installing server

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Bob M wrote:
    >> However, if you are planning on setting up a dedicated server you can
    >> download and install Ubuntu 8.02 Server edition

    > What the heck is 8.02?
    >
    > Maybe ubuntu-8.04.1 is what you're after?

    Typo - 8.04.1

  6. Re: installing server

    Bob M wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > However, if you are planning on setting up a dedicated server you
    > can download and install Ubuntu 8.02 Server edition with comes
    > ready to go once installed. I run a production web server quite
    > successfully with only 512MB of RAM and an 80GB disk. Works like
    > a champ.

    Never heard of Ubuntu 8.02.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.