alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on alt.os.linux.ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I wonder why more people don't use this. --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-...

  1. alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    I wonder why more people don't use this.

  2. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I wonder why more people don't use this.

    It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup
    out there.

    How many people do you want to use it?

    Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated.
    Anyone can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal
    proportions.

    Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    --
    "I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children
    jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know

  3. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog scrievit this wi a finger in the
    stour:

    > ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    > It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup out
    > there.
    >
    > How many people do you want to use it?
    >
    > Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    > *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated. Anyone
    > can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal proportions.
    >
    > Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    I use Grabit (under Wine) occasionally. That's with Xubuntu 8.04. One
    assumes it would be ok with Ubuntu itself.

  4. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Ian Smith wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog scrievit this wi a finger in the
    > stour:
    >
    >> ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    >> It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> How many people do you want to use it?
    >>
    >> Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    >> *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated. Anyone
    >> can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal proportions.
    >>
    >> Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    > I use Grabit (under Wine) occasionally. That's with Xubuntu 8.04. One
    > assumes it would be ok with Ubuntu itself.

    I have used Grabit under XP for about 2 years, and if the above
    statement is true that it will work under Wine that would be great.
    The question I would ask is why use it anymore unless you have a
    Giganews account, since the free servers usually don't carry binary
    groups at all. There is an alt.binaries.warez.linux group for those so
    inclined, can download from there or just go to the distro site.
    I'm waiting to do an overall upgrade to the latest FF, OO, Intrepid, and
    more, all on a blank hard drive, just so I don't lose any data on the
    main drives.
    As far as I know, Grabit is a windows only program, but I could be off base.
    Bill Baka, definitely a non-expert opinion.

  5. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    > It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup out
    > there.
    >
    > How many people do you want to use it?
    >
    > Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    > *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated. Anyone
    > can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal proportions.
    >
    > Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    Well I would say that your response pretty much explains why more people
    don't use this forum. I guess too many here first assume that people are
    being sarcastic and then return a sarcastic response. Shoot first, ask
    questions later is the theme here.

  6. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    LittleGorm wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    It *should* run in wine under any version of Ubuntu that supports wine.
    Since it is a .exe it won't run directly under Linux/Ubuntu of any
    version. I think!

    > Well I would say that your response pretty much explains why more people
    > don't use this forum. I guess too many here first assume that people are
    > being sarcastic and then return a sarcastic response. Shoot first, ask
    > questions later is the theme here.

    There are only a handful of jerks here but they are prolific posters.

    As to grabit under wine, grabit wants a windows type directory to put
    things in, like C:\grabit or some such. If there is a Linux version of
    grabit feel free to shoot me down. I haven't seen one yet.
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    ToddE wrote:

    > I wonder why more people don't use this.

    "this" ??

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 25 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Moog wrote:

    >ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    >It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup
    >out there.

    Group July Aug Sep Oct
    alt.os.linux.debian 9/109 10/180 26/147 14/113
    alt.os.linux.gentoo 1/56 0/25 0/52 0/17
    alt.os.linux.mandrake 0/1 7/20 1/15 2/21
    alt.os.linux.mandriva 57/704 84/1244 49/871 41/813
    alt.os.linux.pclinuxos 2/40 2/72 0/14 8/65
    alt.os.linux.redhat 6/25 4/28 6/30 0/0
    alt.os.linux.suse 159/1178 154/809 104/988 28/566
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 867/1958

    October figures to 14:00 25 Oct 2008.
    First figure = articles that hit the killfile, second is total offered.

    That's hardly all of the distribution specific groups, but the numbers
    agree with you. Unfortunately, the group also has the highest ratio
    of spammers and wintrolls which detracts from the usefulness. At least
    it _doesn't_ have posts from groups.google.com which helps.

    >Anyone can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal
    >proportions.

    That's why decent newsreaders have scoring/killfile capability.

    Old guy

  9. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Ian Smith wrote:
    >> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog scrievit this wi a finger in the
    >> stour:
    >>
    >>> ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup out
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> How many people do you want to use it?
    >>>
    >>> Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    >>> *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated. Anyone
    >>> can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal proportions.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    >> I use Grabit (under Wine) occasionally. That's with Xubuntu 8.04. One
    >> assumes it would be ok with Ubuntu itself.

    > I have used Grabit under XP for about 2 years, and if the above
    > statement is true that it will work under Wine that would be great.
    > The question I would ask is why use it anymore unless you have a
    > Giganews account, since the free servers usually don't carry binary
    > groups at all. There is an alt.binaries.warez.linux group for those so
    > inclined, can download from there or just go to the distro site.
    > I'm waiting to do an overall upgrade to the latest FF, OO, Intrepid, and
    > more, all on a blank hard drive, just so I don't lose any data on the
    > main drives.
    > As far as I know, Grabit is a windows only program, but I could be off
    > base.
    > Bill Baka, definitely a non-expert opinion.

    Yes GrabIt is a Windows only application, supports SSL, and it works
    fine under wine. I use it to 'backup' my music and video collection with
    my newshosting and newzbin accounts. I have HellaNZB with the HellaWorld
    front-end running on my server in the closet. GrabIt comes in handy when
    I want to download a multi part yenc message directly to my laptop.

  10. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > As to grabit under wine, grabit wants a windows type directory to put
    > things in, like C:\grabit or some such. If there is a Linux version of
    > grabit feel free to shoot me down. I haven't seen one yet.
    > Bill Baka

    The c: drive defaults to the directory ~/.wine/drive_c

    More information on running GrabIt in Wine can be found here:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rnTo=&iId=8270

    It has been tested and is said to work on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and 8.04 Hardy.

  11. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Moe Trin belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 25 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > , Moog wrote:
    >
    >>It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup
    >>out there.

    > Group July Aug Sep Oct
    > alt.os.linux.debian 9/109 10/180 26/147 14/113
    > alt.os.linux.gentoo 1/56 0/25 0/52 0/17
    > alt.os.linux.mandrake 0/1 7/20 1/15 2/21
    > alt.os.linux.mandriva 57/704 84/1244 49/871 41/813
    > alt.os.linux.pclinuxos 2/40 2/72 0/14 8/65
    > alt.os.linux.redhat 6/25 4/28 6/30 0/0
    > alt.os.linux.suse 159/1178 154/809 104/988 28/566
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 867/1958

    You left out linux.debian.user (and probably others)

    --
    Household hint:
    If you are out of cream for your coffee, mayonnaise makes a

  12. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Todd Edwards wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> As to grabit under wine, grabit wants a windows type directory to put
    >> things in, like C:\grabit or some such. If there is a Linux version of
    >> grabit feel free to shoot me down. I haven't seen one yet.
    >> Bill Baka

    > The c: drive defaults to the directory ~/.wine/drive_c
    >
    > More information on running GrabIt in Wine can be found here:
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rnTo=&iId=8270

    Looks like a good site, long URL but good material.

    > It has been tested and is said to work on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and 8.04 Hardy.

    I'm looking to go to Intrepid soon so that sounds promising.
    Thanks,
    Bill Baka

  13. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Moe Trin illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 25 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    >, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    >>It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup
    >>out there.

    > Group July Aug Sep Oct
    > alt.os.linux.debian 9/109 10/180 26/147 14/113
    > alt.os.linux.gentoo 1/56 0/25 0/52 0/17
    > alt.os.linux.mandrake 0/1 7/20 1/15 2/21
    > alt.os.linux.mandriva 57/704 84/1244 49/871 41/813
    > alt.os.linux.pclinuxos 2/40 2/72 0/14 8/65
    > alt.os.linux.redhat 6/25 4/28 6/30 0/0
    > alt.os.linux.suse 159/1178 154/809 104/988 28/566
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 867/1958
    >
    > October figures to 14:00 25 Oct 2008.
    > First figure = articles that hit the killfile, second is total offered.
    >
    > That's hardly all of the distribution specific groups, but the numbers
    > agree with you. Unfortunately, the group also has the highest ratio
    > of spammers and wintrolls which detracts from the usefulness. At least
    > it _doesn't_ have posts from groups.google.com which helps.

    I think that whole "spammers and wintrolls" thing can be levelled at
    many other newsgroups. COLM for instance, is full of both.

    >>Anyone can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal
    >>proportions.

    > That's why decent newsreaders have scoring/killfile capability.

    Indeed.

    --
    "How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand." ~ Emo
    Philips

  14. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    LittleGorm illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:20:49 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> ToddE illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I wonder why more people don't use this.

    >> It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> How many people do you want to use it?
    >>
    >> Just in case you've got some sort of veiled sarcasm wrapped up in the
    >> *short* message you posted, the group is completely unmoderated. Anyone
    >> can post what they like. This is both good and bad in equal proportions.
    >>
    >> Anyway. What version of Ubuntu does "grabit" run on?

    > Well I would say that your response pretty much explains why more people
    > don't use this forum.

    Why do you think that? I responded in a way that was supposed to cover
    both.

    > I guess too many here first assume that people are being sarcastic
    > and then return a sarcastic response. Shoot first, ask questions later
    > is the theme here.

    Actually, if you re-read my response, I actually assumed he was asking
    a genuine question first. I then added a "if you're being sarcastic"
    caveat. If that's too difficult for you to understand, then hey,
    that's the readers fault, not mine.

    --
    "Now, most dentist's chairs go up and down, don't they? The one I was
    in went back and forwards. I thought 'This is unusual'. And the dentist

  15. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <4S%Mk.54055$Ep1.51727@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >After takin' a swig o' grog, Moe Trin belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    "Talk Like A Pirate Day" was several weeks ago.

    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's probably the most active distribution specific linux newsgroup
    >>> out there.

    >> Group July Aug Sep Oct
    >> alt.os.linux.debian 9/109 10/180 26/147 14/113
    >> alt.os.linux.gentoo 1/56 0/25 0/52 0/17
    >> alt.os.linux.mandrake 0/1 7/20 1/15 2/21
    >> alt.os.linux.mandriva 57/704 84/1244 49/871 41/813
    >> alt.os.linux.pclinuxos 2/40 2/72 0/14 8/65
    >> alt.os.linux.redhat 6/25 4/28 6/30 0/0
    >> alt.os.linux.suse 159/1178 154/809 104/988 28/566
    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 867/1958

    >You left out linux.debian.user (and probably others)

    ]] That's hardly all of the distribution specific groups, but the
    ]] numbers agree with you.

    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux .newsrc
    1160
    [compton ~]$ grep -c ^linux .newsrc
    326
    [compton ~]$ grep -c debian .newsrc
    180
    [compton ~]$ grep -c ubuntu .newsrc
    2
    [compton ~]$

    I only subscribe to 81 groups, only 38 of which pertain to Linux. The
    'linux.*' groups started out as one-way mirrors of mailing lists (you
    can read everything, but if you post there, members of the actual
    mailing list don't see it), although some of those groups don't
    accept Usenet postings at all. A number of them are duplicates.

    Old guy

  16. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On 26 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Moog wrote:

    >Moe Trin illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> That's hardly all of the distribution specific groups, but the
    >> numbers agree with you. Unfortunately, the group also has the
    >> highest ratio of spammers and wintrolls which detracts from the
    >> usefulness. At least it _doesn't_ have posts from groups.google.com
    >> which helps.

    >I think that whole "spammers and wintrolls" thing can be levelled at
    >many other newsgroups. COLM for instance, is full of both.

    Group July Aug Sep Oct
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 935/2082
    comp.os.linux.misc 905/1612 286/835 596/1291 530/1195

    October figures to 14:00 27 Oct 2008.
    First figure = articles that hit the killfile, second is total offered.

    Group July Aug Sep Oct
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu 44.5% 45.9% 46.1% 44.9%
    comp.os.linux.misc 56.1% 34.3% 46.2% 44.4%

    I dunno - they're both pretty bad, and c.o.l.m is one of the groups
    where I auto-kill anything from groups.google.com.

    Old guy

  17. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Moe Trin belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > <4S%Mk.54055$Ep1.51727@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >>After takin' a swig o' grog, Moe Trin belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Talk Like A Pirate Day" was several weeks ago.

    Arrrrgh. Every day be pirate day, me bucko.

    > Old guy

    Arrrrgh. Me too.

    --
    Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles
    as if she laid an asteroid.

  18. Re: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    * Moe Trin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 26 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > , Moog wrote:
    >
    >>Moe Trin illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> That's hardly all of the distribution specific groups, but the
    >>> numbers agree with you. Unfortunately, the group also has the
    >>> highest ratio of spammers and wintrolls which detracts from the
    >>> usefulness. At least it _doesn't_ have posts from groups.google.com
    >>> which helps.

    >>I think that whole "spammers and wintrolls" thing can be levelled at
    >>many other newsgroups. COLM for instance, is full of both.

    > Group July Aug Sep Oct
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu 1428/3210 1248/2718 914/1982 935/2082
    > comp.os.linux.misc 905/1612 286/835 596/1291 530/1195
    >
    > October figures to 14:00 27 Oct 2008.
    > First figure = articles that hit the killfile, second is total offered.
    >
    > Group July Aug Sep Oct
    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu 44.5% 45.9% 46.1% 44.9%
    > comp.os.linux.misc 56.1% 34.3% 46.2% 44.4%
    >
    > I dunno - they're both pretty bad, and c.o.l.m is one of the groups
    > where I auto-kill anything from groups.google.com.
    >
    > Old guy

    Must be your feed. I see no spam in aolu but colm is full of it.

    --
    David

+ Reply to Thread