Neuros OSD just arrived! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Neuros OSD just arrived! - Ubuntu ; This relates to another thread about setting up Ubuntu as a media server. I just bought a "Neuros OSD" from Newegg. It is basically an embedded Linux device set up as a media server. Anyway, it arrived today, and I ...

  1. Neuros OSD just arrived!

    This relates to another thread about setting up Ubuntu as a media server.
    I just bought a "Neuros OSD" from Newegg. It is basically an embedded
    Linux device set up as a media server.

    Anyway, it arrived today, and I am just starting to play with it. It is
    so cool! Right on the outside of the package, it has the "Powered by
    Linux" logo right on the front of the box. Inside, the unit itself is
    about the size of a paper back book, so it can fit most anywhere. I just
    hooked it up in my bedroom between the DVD player and the TV.

    One of the menu selections (the included remote control is the input
    device) was for "advanced applications", and one of those was "OSD
    Console". Sure enough, that brought up a shell prompt. I entered "ls"
    and was greeted with a linux root directory listing: boot, etc, media,
    ..... I almost wet my pants.

    So far, I have not been able to attach it to my home network, as my TV is
    far from the nearest ethernet jack, and the built-in wireless interface is
    not connecting to my router. I'll have more to say once I have had a
    chance to play with it some more.

    ---
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar