Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install - Ubuntu ; "fatsteve" skrev i meddelelsen news:4901ae04$0$10612$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... >I got Ubuntu 8.04 cd so I tried to install it alongside vista. First time >it partitioned the drive installed rebooted and went straight back into >vista, no menu. After trying a few times I ...

  1. Re: Install

    "fatsteve" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    >I got Ubuntu 8.04 cd so I tried to install it alongside vista. First time
    >it partitioned the drive installed rebooted and went straight back into
    >vista, no menu. After trying a few times I couldn't get into Ubuntu or
    >get any menu so I deleted the partition.

    I had the same probleme. I din't delete my Ubuntu paratition. Some
    time later I neded Win Xp and installed a pata harddisik and change
    the boot in bios to the pata. Then I run the livecd and re installed grub
    at the pata MBA. Now I can boot to win vista win xp and ubuntu.

    I think that there is an error in grub when it shall install on a sata
    harddrive
    or win vista makes somthing there proteckts the MBA. Hmm why not blame
    windows. ;-)

  2. Re: Install

    fatsteve wrote:
    > I got Ubuntu 8.04 cd so I tried to install it alongside vista. First
    > time it partitioned the drive installed rebooted and went straight back
    > into vista, no menu. After trying a few times I couldn't get into
    > Ubuntu or get any menu so I deleted the partition.
    >
    > Later I tried again same thing it made its partition installed and
    > reboot back into vista. I found EasyBCD and made a menu with that so
    > reboot and gets the menu with vista and ubuntu on it. If I choose
    > ubuntu I get another boot menu with Ununtu on it but I cant get past
    > there. It said root (2,4) it said could not find device so I edited it
    > to 2,1(I'm pretty sure thats where my ubuntu partition is but still
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I don't know what I'm doing or what I'm doing wrong please HELP.

    Get supergrub at
    http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Su...ies/sgd/cdrom/
    make a boot CD. It will give options for which OS to boot from.

    Dan Dangerous

  3. Re: Install

    "Henning Pręstegaard" wrote in message
    news:4901b1a0$0$15901$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > "fatsteve" <> skrev i meddelelsen
    >>I got Ubuntu 8.04 cd so I tried to install it alongside vista. First time
    >>it partitioned the drive installed rebooted and went straight back into
    >>vista, no menu. After trying a few times I couldn't get into Ubuntu or
    >>get any menu so I deleted the partition.
    >>

    > I had the same probleme. I din't delete my Ubuntu paratition. Some
    > time later I neded Win Xp and installed a pata harddisik and change
    > the boot in bios to the pata. Then I run the livecd and re installed grub
    > at the pata MBA. Now I can boot to win vista win xp and ubuntu.
    >
    > I think that there is an error in grub when it shall install on a sata
    > harddrive
    > or win vista makes somthing there proteckts the MBA. Hmm why not blame
    > windows. ;-)

    The MBA ?
    The Moronic Bootloader Attempts you have made ?
    God...linux attracts idiots !
    No wonder it sticks...the user base degenerates the software.

    Vista , XP, ubuntu, linux blah,blah,blah all boot under grub.
    Do a custom partition that you have thunk out before-hand

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  4. Re: Install

    "D. Eth" <> skrev i meddelelsen news:gdtmqv$9bg$1@aioe.org...

    > God...linux attracts idiots !

    Yep. I know. You wright a lot here i
    this linuxnewsgroup.

  5. Re: Install

    D. Eth wrote:

    > "Henning PrƦstegaard" wrote in message
    >> I think that there is an error in grub when it shall install on a sata
    >> harddrive
    >> or win vista makes somthing there proteckts the MBA. Hmm why not blame
    >> windows. ;-)

    > The MBA ?
    > The Moronic Bootloader Attempts you have made ?
    > God...linux attracts idiots !

    And excessively confrontational people, it seems.

    > No wonder it sticks...the user base degenerates the software.
    >
    > Vista , XP, ubuntu, linux blah,blah,blah all boot under grub.
    > Do a custom partition that you have thunk out before-hand

    To be fair, I've had plenty problems with GRUB myself, and none have been
    from me tinkering with anything. GRUB has failed to install completely more
    times than I care to jot down, and moving the bootable flag to any other
    partition than the one currently being bootable (such as Vista in a
    multi-boot environment) has proven to break the bootloader on both attempts
    I've tried on different systems.

    In ye ole days with LILO I never had any problems. I'm not pro this con
    that, but I don't find it in any way surprising that people have problems
    with GRUB, and I certainly don't assign it to them being morons. That would
    be idiotic of me.

    Daniel

  6. Install

    I got Ubuntu 8.04 cd so I tried to install it alongside vista. First
    time it partitioned the drive installed rebooted and went straight back
    into vista, no menu. After trying a few times I couldn't get into
    Ubuntu or get any menu so I deleted the partition.

    Later I tried again same thing it made its partition installed and
    reboot back into vista. I found EasyBCD and made a menu with that so
    reboot and gets the menu with vista and ubuntu on it. If I choose
    ubuntu I get another boot menu with Ununtu on it but I cant get past
    there. It said root (2,4) it said could not find device so I edited it
    to 2,1(I'm pretty sure thats where my ubuntu partition is but still
    didn't work.

    I don't know what I'm doing or what I'm doing wrong please HELP.

  7. Re: Install

    Henning Pręstegaard wrote:
    > harddrive
    > or win vista makes somthing there proteckts the MBA. Hmm why not blame
    > windows. ;-)

    Thanks I think this was it. I was installing to a sata drive. I tried
    again on a different system with pata as main drive it worked first go.

+ Reply to Thread