printing vs restart - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on printing vs restart - Ubuntu ; I have an HP Laserjet 4100N with a JetDirect card, so it has its own (static) IP address. My printer software is CUPS, and every time I (or it maybe) restart, I have to re-add the printer otherwise it accepts ...

  1. printing vs restart

    I have an HP Laserjet 4100N with a JetDirect card, so it has its own
    (static) IP address. My printer software is CUPS, and every time I (or
    it maybe) restart, I have to re-add the printer otherwise it accepts
    jobs but won't print. This is, of course, a monstrous PITA. Has anyone
    seen this?

    "dpkg --list cups\*" says these are installed:

    ii cupsys 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
    ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
    ii cupsys-client 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
    ii cupsys-common 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common fil
    ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-2ubuntu1 printer drivers for CUPS

    --
    The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
    fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some

  2. Re: printing vs restart

    Op Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:55:46 -0400, schreef Hactar:

    > I have an HP Laserjet 4100N with a JetDirect card, so it has its own
    > (static) IP address. My printer software is CUPS, and every time I (or
    > it maybe) restart, I have to re-add the printer otherwise it accepts
    > jobs but won't print. This is, of course, a monstrous PITA. Has anyone
    > seen this?
    >
    > "dpkg --list cups\*" says these are installed:
    >
    > ii cupsys 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    > System(tm) - server ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    > Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman ii cupsys-client
    > 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro ii
    > cupsys-common 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    > System(tm) - common fil ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-2ubuntu1
    > printer drivers for CUPS

    just look in your admin printeroptions I have an 2605dn laserjet and it
    gaves me the wrong paperbox thats all

    cheers

    Johan

  3. Re: printing vs restart

    In article <49037091$0$30387$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl>,
    Johan van de Sande wrote:
    > Op Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:55:46 -0400, schreef Hactar:
    >
    > > I have an HP Laserjet 4100N with a JetDirect card, so it has its own
    > > (static) IP address. My printer software is CUPS, and every time I (or
    > > it maybe) restart, I have to re-add the printer otherwise it accepts
    > > jobs but won't print. This is, of course, a monstrous PITA. Has anyone
    > > seen this?
    > >
    > > "dpkg --list cups\*" says these are installed:
    > >
    > > ii cupsys 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    > > System(tm) - server ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    > > Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman ii cupsys-client
    > > 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro ii
    > > cupsys-common 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    > > System(tm) - common fil ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-2ubuntu1
    > > printer drivers for CUPS

    > just look in your admin printeroptions I have an 2605dn laserjet and it
    > gaves me the wrong paperbox thats all

    "admin printeroptions" -- where's that? (xfce, not gnome or kde).

    --
    The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
    fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some
    terrible evil to gobble us up if we did not furnish the sums demanded.
    Yet these disasters seem never to have been quite real. -- MacArthur (attr)

  4. Re: printing vs restart

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:03:21 -0400, Hactar wrote:

    > In article <49037091$0$30387$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl>, Johan van de Sande
    > wrote:
    >> Op Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:55:46 -0400, schreef Hactar:
    >>
    >> > I have an HP Laserjet 4100N with a JetDirect card, so it has its own
    >> > (static) IP address. My printer software is CUPS, and every time I
    >> > (or it maybe) restart, I have to re-add the printer otherwise it
    >> > accepts jobs but won't print. This is, of course, a monstrous PITA.
    >> > Has anyone seen this?
    >> >
    >> > "dpkg --list cups\*" says these are installed:
    >> >
    >> > ii cupsys 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    >> > System(tm) - server ii cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1
    >> > Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman ii cupsys-client
    >> > 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro ii
    >> > cupsys-common 1.3.7-1ubuntu3.1 Common UNIX Printing
    >> > System(tm) - common fil ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-2ubuntu1
    >> > printer drivers for CUPS

    >> just look in your admin printeroptions I have an 2605dn laserjet and it
    >> gaves me the wrong paperbox thats all

    > "admin printeroptions" -- where's that? (xfce, not gnome or kde).

    Administer CUPS the easy way: point your browser at "localhost:631".

  5. Re: printing vs restart

    In article ,
    Roland Latour wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:03:21 -0400, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article <49037091$0$30387$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl>, Johan van de Sande
    > > wrote:

    > >> just look in your admin printeroptions I have an 2605dn laserjet and it
    > >> gaves me the wrong paperbox thats all

    > > "admin printeroptions" -- where's that? (xfce, not gnome or kde).

    > Administer CUPS the easy way: point your browser at "localhost:631".

    Printers -> Laserjet_4100N -> Set Printer Options seems to offer the
    same options as Xfce Menu -> Settings -> Printing -> Local Printers ->
    Laserjet_4100N -> Printer Options. I fear that at some point the
    web thingy will ask me for the root password (which I don't have)
    though.

    Anyhow, what needs to be checked there? There are lots of options, most
    of which I haven't changed.

    Q: What did one photon say to the other photon?
    A: I'm sick and tired of your interference. -- thebigmike1983 on Fark

+ Reply to Thread