Importing html links? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Importing html links? - Ubuntu ; I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox. However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look. There is no browse ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Importing html links?

    I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or password
    data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look. There is no
    browse button. Where is it looking??

  2. Re: Importing html links?

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:45:11 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    > However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or password
    > data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look. There is no
    > browse button. Where is it looking??

    All right, it's now becoming quite obvious that "Pete" is simply the
    latest Win-troll to stop by and stir things up. He's completely ****ing
    clueless, even for a Win-droid, and should best be ignored.

    Pete, you're not even good at trolling. Go jump off a ****ing bridge.

  3. Re: Importing html links?

    Pete wrote:
    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    > However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    > password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    > There is no browse button. Where is it looking??

    If you know where the files are and can do some 'very' basic HTML
    editing you can do it yourself. On the flip side you can make your own
    favorites file and call it whatever you want then open that file and
    bookmark it.
    Very little is rocket science hard if you put a little work into it.

    Bill Baka

  4. Re: Importing html links?

    * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    > However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    > password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    > There is no browse button. Where is it looking??

    export them to an HTML file from Windows and then import them into FF.

    --
    David

  5. Re: Importing html links?

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B40A2A20F159louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    >> However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    >> password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    >> There is no browse button. Where is it looking??
    >>

    > export them to an HTML file from Windows and then import them into FF.
    >
    > --
    > David

    Yes, I have done this. I transfered the file with a usb stick.
    Problem is, firefox won't let me browse for the file. It just "gives up".

  6. Re: Importing html links?

    Pete wrote:
    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu
    > firefox. However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks,
    > history or password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it
    > where to look. There is no browse button. Where is it looking??

    With Firefox Foxmarks add on, bookmarks are quickly installed with
    optional automatic updates no matter which computer/operating system
    you're using. http://www.foxmarks.com/

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

  7. Re: Importing html links?

    Pete wrote:

    > "SINNER" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9B40A2A20F159louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >> * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    >>> However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    >>> password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    >>> There is no browse button. Where is it looking??
    >>>

    >> export them to an HTML file from Windows and then import them into FF.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David

    > Yes, I have done this. I transfered the file with a usb stick.
    > Problem is, firefox won't let me browse for the file. It just "gives up".

    Click *Bookmarks*
    Click *Organise Bookmarks*
    Click *Import and Backup*
    Click *Import HTML*
    Click *Next*
    Navigate to your USB pen

    Ram

  8. Re: Importing html links?

    Pete wrote:
    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    > However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    > password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    > There is no browse button. Where is it looking??

    If you just want to transfer Windows Firefox bookmarks to your Ubuntu
    Firefox then just copy the file.

    From Windows:

    C:\Document and Settings\USER_PROFILE\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\RANDOM.default\bookm arks.html

    To Ubuntu:

    /home/USER_PROFILE/.mozilla/firefox/RANDOM.default\bookmarks.html

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  9. Re: Importing html links?

    On 2008-10-23, Pete wrote:
    > I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    > However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or password
    > data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look. There is no
    > browse button. Where is it looking??

    Pete,

    If you still have access to your windows machine, you can download and
    install a plugin called "gmarks" which will allow you to organize and
    tag your bookmarks. Get yourself a gmail account which will let you
    sign in and then install the gmarks plugin on Firefox on Ubuntu.
    Then you can "share" your bookmarks from any PC/Mac/Linux machine
    that has Firefox and the gmarks plugin. I use it
    to share bookmarks between my Mepis machine, Macbook, Windows
    at home AND Windows at work. I've never had a problem using it
    and highly recommend it.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  10. Re: Importing html links?

    On 2008-10-23, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I would like to import my old windows firefox links to ubuntu firefox.
    >> However, it says "no programs that contain bookmarks, history or
    >> password data could be fouind." I haven't even told it where to look.
    >> There is no browse button. Where is it looking??

    > If you know where the files are and can do some 'very' basic HTML
    > editing you can do it yourself. On the flip side you can make your own
    > favorites file and call it whatever you want then open that file and
    > bookmark it.
    > Very little is rocket science hard if you put a little work into it.

    What would you have to know html for? You can either export from
    Windows FF, then import into FF on Linux, or you can simply copy the
    profile from Windows directly to linux, the directions are on
    Mozilla's site.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  11. Re: Importing html links?

    Joe wrote:

    > What would you have to know html for?

    I said 'very' little, if any. Just in case there is some in the file.
    You can either export from
    > Windows FF, then import into FF on Linux, or you can simply copy the
    > profile from Windows directly to linux, the directions are on
    > Mozilla's site.

    That works 'Virtually' on a virtual machine setup but not so good on a
    dual boot.
    Anyway, not a big topic, so I'm gone.
    Bill Baka

  12. Re: Importing html links?

    On 2008-10-24, Bill Baka wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >>
    >> What would you have to know html for?

    > I said 'very' little, if any. Just in case there is some in the file.
    > You can either export from
    >> Windows FF, then import into FF on Linux, or you can simply copy the
    >> profile from Windows directly to linux, the directions are on
    >> Mozilla's site.
    >>

    > That works 'Virtually' on a virtual machine setup but not so good on a
    > dual boot.
    > Anyway, not a big topic, so I'm gone.

    It works fine on a dual-boot, or even on a separate machine. The
    profiles are 100% compatible on all platforms.

    I'm not trying to be a prick, but you seem to try to give a lot of
    advice about things that you have no clue about. Wouldn't it make
    more sense to just say nothing if you don't know?

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  13. Re: Importing html links?

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-10-24, Bill Baka wrote:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> What would you have to know html for?

    >> I said 'very' little, if any. Just in case there is some in the file.
    >> You can either export from
    >>> Windows FF, then import into FF on Linux, or you can simply copy the
    >>> profile from Windows directly to linux, the directions are on
    >>> Mozilla's site.
    >>>

    >> That works 'Virtually' on a virtual machine setup but not so good on a
    >> dual boot.
    >> Anyway, not a big topic, so I'm gone.

    > It works fine on a dual-boot, or even on a separate machine. The
    > profiles are 100% compatible on all platforms.
    >
    > I'm not trying to be a prick, but you seem to try to give a lot of
    > advice about things that you have no clue about. Wouldn't it make
    > more sense to just say nothing if you don't know?

    I've done this kind of thing before, merging 2 instances of T-Bird (on
    XP) from 2 different drives, manually. I just renamed inbox to inbox2
    just like all the other folders and copied them into the directory for
    the one I wanted to use. Then fire up your T-Bird and drag all the files
    from inbox2 to inbox repeating for drafts and all the other folders.
    Once you are sure it works you can delete the '2' files. My method is a
    little more labor intense but does work.
    Import has both worked for me and not worked, so I am a little more
    careful these days.
    I don't 'advise' people to use my methods but just toss them in where
    they might help someone, even if only 1%.

    Nobody is an authority on everything.
    Bill Baka

  14. Re: Importing html links?

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:41:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Nobody is an authority on everything.

    And you are an authority on nothing.

    Especially anything related to Linux, you ignorant Win-droid.

  15. Re: Importing html links?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:41:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Nobody is an authority on everything.

    > And you are an authority on nothing.

    > Especially anything related to Linux, you ignorant Win-droid.

    Hey stupid,
    I posted from windows because I was cleaning up some junk there so I
    could move to more Ubuntu/Linux programs that did what I want. So far
    the repositories have had about 60% of what I want, but not 100%.
    Now go suck your own dick and go away.
    Bill Baka

  16. Re: Importing html links?

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.10.26.03.45.31.371406@moria.lan...
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:41:07 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Nobody is an authority on everything.

    > And you are an authority on nothing.

    > Especially anything related to Linux, you ignorant Win-droid.
    >

    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

    Loser.
    Dan C knows squat about Windows...which he covets.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  17. Re: Importing html links?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:48:28 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

    >> Especially anything related to Linux, you ignorant Win-droid.

    > I posted from windows because I was cleaning up some junk there so I
    > could move to more Ubuntu/Linux programs that did what I want. So far
    > the repositories have had about 60% of what I want, but not 100%.

    Riiiiiggghhhhtttttt.......

    I guess you're *still* "cleaning up", eh?

    > Now go suck your own dick and go away.

    Does your mommy know you talk like that? Would you like me to forward
    this to her? How about to your wife?

    **** off, you drooling old fool of a Win-droid.

  18. Re: Importing html links?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:48:28 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >>> Especially anything related to Linux, you ignorant Win-droid.

    >> I posted from windows because I was cleaning up some junk there so I
    >> could move to more Ubuntu/Linux programs that did what I want. So far
    >> the repositories have had about 60% of what I want, but not 100%.

    > Riiiiiggghhhhtttttt.......

    > I guess you're *still* "cleaning up", eh?
    >
    >> Now go suck your own dick and go away.

    > Does your mommy know you talk like that? Would you like me to forward
    > this to her? How about to your wife?
    >
    > **** off, you drooling old fool of a Win-droid.

    This 'old fool' would love to meet you face to face and introduce yours
    to the pavement. That probably holds true for about half the people
    using this group.
    Bill Baka

  19. Re: Importing html links?

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    > Dan C wrote:

    >>> I posted from windows because I was cleaning up some junk there so I
    >>> could move to more Ubuntu/Linux programs that did what I want. So far
    >>> the repositories have had about 60% of what I want, but not 100%.

    >> Riiiiiggghhhhtttttt.......

    >> I guess you're *still* "cleaning up", eh?
    >>
    >>> Now go suck your own dick and go away.

    >> Does your mommy know you talk like that? Would you like me to forward
    >> this to her? How about to your wife?
    >>
    >> **** off, you drooling old fool of a Win-droid.
    >>

    > This 'old fool' would love to meet you face to face and introduce yours to
    > the pavement. That probably holds true for about half the people using
    > this group.
    > Bill Baka

    LOL.
    Put your scrawny arms down !
    hahaha.
    The scrawniest always wanna fight !
    On usenet !

    Friggen hilarious.

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  20. Re: Importing html links?

    Bill Baka illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dan C wrote:

    >>> I posted from windows because I was cleaning up some junk there so I
    >>> could move to more Ubuntu/Linux programs that did what I want. So far
    >>> the repositories have had about 60% of what I want, but not 100%.

    >> Riiiiiggghhhhtttttt.......

    >> I guess you're *still* "cleaning up", eh?
    >>
    >>> Now go suck your own dick and go away.

    >> Does your mommy know you talk like that? Would you like me to forward
    >> this to her? How about to your wife?
    >>
    >> **** off, you drooling old fool of a Win-droid.
    >>

    > This 'old fool' would love to meet you face to face and introduce yours
    > to the pavement. That probably holds true for about half the people
    > using this group.

    Bill. With all due respect, this "keyboard warrior" stuff is not
    required.

    You don't like something somebody posts, then simply employ your kill
    filter.

    --
    "I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little children
    jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. They don't know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast