cd titles - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on cd titles - Ubuntu ; I download some mp3 files which I play with Amarok and it shows artist and title, I burn them to a cd with k3b but when I play the cd the tracks come out as track 1 track 2 etc...I ...

  1. cd titles

    I download some mp3 files which I play with Amarok and it shows artist
    and title, I burn them to a cd with k3b but when I play the cd the
    tracks come out as track 1 track 2 etc...I rip the cd back to the hdd
    and the artist and titles show ok...Why do they not show in Amarok when
    playing the cd?

    ------
    Regards
    Ted Wager
    Ubuntu Linux user

  2. Re: cd titles

    In article ,
    Ted wrote:
    > I download some mp3 files which I play with Amarok and it shows artist
    > and title, I burn them to a cd with k3b but when I play the cd the
    > tracks come out as track 1 track 2 etc...I rip the cd back to the hdd
    > and the artist and titles show ok...Why do they not show in Amarok when
    > playing the cd?

    Standard audio CDs have no filesystem in which to store miscellaneous
    data like album and track names. MP3s store it internally, in an "id3"
    structure. The information a player displays while playing a CD comes
    from someplace like cddb.com or freedb.com, based on data like the number
    of tracks, track length (to 1/75 second), and maybe first few nonzero
    bytes. Since MP3s have lossy compression (things like FLAC don't), in
    cases where you go CD1 -> mp3 -> CD2, CD1 != CD2. Close, but not exact.

    --
    The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
    fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some

  3. Re: cd titles

    * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > In article ,
    > Ted wrote:
    >> I download some mp3 files which I play with Amarok and it shows artist
    >> and title, I burn them to a cd with k3b but when I play the cd the
    >> tracks come out as track 1 track 2 etc...I rip the cd back to the hdd
    >> and the artist and titles show ok...Why do they not show in Amarok when
    >> playing the cd?

    > Standard audio CDs have no filesystem in which to store miscellaneous
    > data like album and track names.

    I dont think thats correct:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

    --
    David

  4. Re: cd titles

    In article ,
    SINNER wrote:
    > * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Ted wrote:
    > >> I download some mp3 files which I play with Amarok and it shows artist
    > >> and title, I burn them to a cd with k3b but when I play the cd the
    > >> tracks come out as track 1 track 2 etc...I rip the cd back to the hdd
    > >> and the artist and titles show ok...Why do they not show in Amarok when
    > >> playing the cd?

    > > Standard audio CDs have no filesystem in which to store miscellaneous
    > > data like album and track names.

    > I dont think thats correct:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

    Yes, I had those in mind. Those are not _standard_ (RedBook IIRC) audio
    CDs.

    --
    The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
    fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some
    terrible evil to gobble us up if we did not furnish the sums demanded.
    Yet these disasters seem never to have been quite real. -- MacArthur (attr)

  5. Re: cd titles

    * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > In article ,
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >> > Standard audio CDs have no filesystem in which to store
    >> > miscellaneous data like album and track names.

    >> I dont think thats correct:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

    > Yes, I had those in mind. Those are not _standard_ (RedBook IIRC)
    > audio CDs.

    It is an extension of the Redbook spec. In any event, the OP was not
    specific enough. Did he burn as an audio CD or as a data CD full of MP3, in
    which case, the CD player (if it reads MP3) should display all the info,
    the one that is in my car does and it is a stock system.

    --
    David

  6. Re: cd titles

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> I dont think thats correct:
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

    >> Yes, I had those in mind. Those are not _standard_ (RedBook IIRC)
    >> audio CDs.
    >>

    > It is an extension of the Redbook spec. In any event, the OP was not
    > specific enough. Did he burn as an audio CD or as a data CD full of MP3, in
    > which case, the CD player (if it reads MP3) should display all the info,
    > the one that is in my car does and it is a stock system.

    Thanks for all the info....The track were burned as an audio cd,
    would data be better ?

  7. Re: cd titles

    * Ted wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Hactar wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> Yes, I had those in mind. Those are not _standard_ (RedBook IIRC)
    >>> audio CDs.
    >>>

    >> It is an extension of the Redbook spec. In any event, the OP was not
    >> specific enough. Did he burn as an audio CD or as a data CD full of
    >> MP3, in which case, the CD player (if it reads MP3) should display
    >> all the info, the one that is in my car does and it is a stock
    >> system.
    >>

    > Thanks for all the info....The track were burned as an audio cd,
    > would data be better ?

    What device are you playing the CD in? PC, Home Stereo, Auto? If its the
    PC, then yes, I would say data is the way to go, espcially since this
    means you can burn maybe 100 songs instead of say, 15. If its any of the
    other devices, they must be capable of displaying said data and the
    burning application must burn it to the extended Redbook spec to show the
    CD Text. Check the options to see if there is one that adds CD Tect to
    Audio CD's or check the help to see if the applciation you are using to
    burn the CD supports it.

    --
    David

  8. Re: cd titles

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Ted wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> It is an extension of the Redbook spec. In any event, the OP was not
    >>> specific enough. Did he burn as an audio CD or as a data CD full of
    >>> MP3, in which case, the CD player (if it reads MP3) should display
    >>> all the info, the one that is in my car does and it is a stock
    >>> system.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for all the info....The track were burned as an audio cd,
    >> would data be better ?
    >>

    > What device are you playing the CD in? PC, Home Stereo, Auto? If its the
    > PC, then yes, I would say data is the way to go, espcially since this
    > means you can burn maybe 100 songs instead of say, 15. If its any of the
    > other devices, they must be capable of displaying said data and the
    > burning application must burn it to the extended Redbook spec to show the
    > CD Text. Check the options to see if there is one that adds CD Tect to
    > Audio CD's or check the help to see if the applciation you are using to
    > burn the CD supports it.

    Thanks for all the info...Just tried burning the cd as data and works a
    treat all the info is there....

+ Reply to Thread